Thread poster: Pavel Nikonorkin
Pavel Nikonorkin
Pavel Nikonorkin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:15
Member (2007)
English to Russian
Mar 8, 2016

I was sure that memoQ 2015 supports 4k/2160p displays.
As working with 4k monitors is less stressful for eyes I bought a 4k/2160p, 27-inch display and set an optimum 200% scale (Windows 10).

Meanwhile a lot of software supports high-resolution displays, memoQ does not.
User interface is only partly scalable so some text is almost impossible to read. It is not possible to edit comments at all because they are not visible. Some buttons are so small that it is difficult t
... See more
I was sure that memoQ 2015 supports 4k/2160p displays.
As working with 4k monitors is less stressful for eyes I bought a 4k/2160p, 27-inch display and set an optimum 200% scale (Windows 10).

Meanwhile a lot of software supports high-resolution displays, memoQ does not.
User interface is only partly scalable so some text is almost impossible to read. It is not possible to edit comments at all because they are not visible. Some buttons are so small that it is difficult to click on them.

Did anyone try using memoQ 2015 on 4k displays? Is there any workarounds to make user interface readable and workable?
Collapse

rhyswulf

Stefan Hofmeister
Stefan Hofmeister  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:15
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Same here! Apr 8, 2016

I just started to work with a 4k display and I've got the same problem!

It's also not possible to edit terms in the termbase, as the complete lower half of the window is cut out and you can't change it's size...

I hope they'll work on that at the soonest, as I have to use the new machine, because the old one stopped working.

Wei-Lun Chung
Wei-Lun Chung  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:15
English to Chinese
+ ...
Extremely painful to use memoQ with 4K screen Apr 22, 2017

I started using memoQ with 175% scaling on a 4K screen and have experienced the very same problems. Not possible to add comment, edit terms, comment texts at the bottom pane are truncated and a lot other annoying display issues. Unfortunately I still couldn't find any good solutions.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Try another CAT tool Apr 23, 2017

Wei-Lun Chung wrote:

I started using memoQ with 175% scaling on a 4K screen and have experienced the very same problems. Not possible to add comment, edit terms, comment texts at the bottom pane are truncated and a lot other annoying display issues. Unfortunately I still couldn't find any good solutions.

Ergonomics are important. There are now several CAT tools that make good use of 4K or 5K screens and can process memoQ files.

Why not give them a try?

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:15
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Known issue Apr 23, 2017

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:
Did anyone try using memoQ 2015 on 4k displays? Is there any workarounds to make user interface readable and workable?

The "workaround" as you might imagine is to downgrade to HD resolution...
Perhaps newer versions will support 4k. We'll have to wait and see.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use a magnifier tool? I Apr 23, 2017

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:
Is there any workarounds to make user interface readable and workable?

I don't have a 4K screen so I'm just guessing here, but would using a magnifier tool work as a workaround? The ideal tool would be one that zooms in on an area on the screen in such a way that you can resize the MemoQ window to fit exactly into the zoom area.

I've been trying out a few options, and so far the best (though not absolutely ideal) tool is the Virtual Magnifying Glass, used in "Dynamic" mode. In dynamic mode, the zoom area does not move around as you move your mouse around. The keyboard shortcuts for dynamic mode is on the last page of help file, in the Help menu when you right-click the tray icon.

Issues are: How the magnifier behaves, depends largely on the window that you use it in. Some programs lose some of their GUI in the zoom area (GRRR!), and some programs ignore the position of the crosshair but instead respond to the position of the actual mouse pointer (GRRR!). You can't save the location of the zoom area, so you have to move and resize the zoom area each time you run it. You can show and hide the zoom area by minimizing the magnifier (i.e. click it's tab in the task bar). In the zoomed area, the mouse pointer is a black crosshair, which can be hard to see, but you can still use it just like you'd use the real mouse pointer (left-click and right-click within the zoomed area works fine). I'm not sure whether MemoQ will hijack the magnifier's shortcuts, or vice versa.

Perhaps there is a better zoom tool out there somewhere.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use a virtual machine? Apr 23, 2017

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, when you use certain virtual machines, you can set the resolution of the guest operating system to something else than that of the host operating system. Whether or not your mouse will move faster in the guest window (as its resolution will be lower) depends on the degree of mouse integration offered by the virtual machine. Of course, this means installing another copy of your operating system (or of an older version, if MemoQ runs on it).

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use a magnifier tool? II Apr 23, 2017

Pavel Nikonorkin wrote:

If your only problem is with certain elements, e.g. buttons or certain edit fields, you could use a type of screen magnifier that sits in one corner and magnifies the area currently under the mouse cursor. Windows has a built-in magnifier, but you can't change it's position on the screen, and it messes up the icon positions. One freeware magnifier that works in this way, is Magnifixer. You can position it anywhere on the screen and you can change the window size to your liking.

The only downside here is that your mouse pointer doesn't slow down. The solution may be to have a shortcut that temporarily slows down the mouse. There is an AutoHotKey script that does that successfully on my computer, posted here (ivanw). The script is rather complex and I could not figure out how to customise the slow speed, but customising the keyboard shortcut that slows down the mouse and returns the mouse to its normal speed is fairly simple (change "*F17" to e.g. "F4" to use the F4 key as the toggle).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incompatibility of memoQ 2015 with 4k/2160p displays

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »