Thread poster: cloudhunter (X)
Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:44
Chinese to English
+ ...
Call their bluff Aug 17, 2017

And that he paid but if I do not remove the BB entry, he is going to go to the police

Do one better than they do. Actually go to the police. This is a threat. While the police likely won't be able to do anything about it, you may or may not be able to at least get documentation that you have made a complaint to the police. Scan the report or whatever it is, send it to him, and say that you've already gone to the police.

Danijel Merkaš
Danijel Merkaš
Local time: 00:44
English to Croatian
+ ...
Agencies end all communication after the delivery Aug 20, 2017

I took 5 new clients because most of my regulars were on vacation. They rode me for 30 days eighteen hours a day until I delivered the translations. The second I delivered, all communication ended. They have no comment whatsoever. They showed no interest in invoices, terms of payment, nothing. I checked the Blue Board, they have perfect scores 5/5 and they chose me because their regular translators were on vacation. They never intended to pay. It is one thing to wait 40 days whe... See more
I took 5 new clients because most of my regulars were on vacation. They rode me for 30 days eighteen hours a day until I delivered the translations. The second I delivered, all communication ended. They have no comment whatsoever. They showed no interest in invoices, terms of payment, nothing. I checked the Blue Board, they have perfect scores 5/5 and they chose me because their regular translators were on vacation. They never intended to pay. It is one thing to wait 40 days when they answer your emails and give you feedback, but when they wont confirm if they received the translations, that is a whole different thing.
One of the agencies I worked this summer just told me today they will not pay me because the client ended all communication with them, so they decided to end all communication with me. I don't understand that attitude, they sent me a PO and now they are not responsible because they didn't get paid.

Imagine how it would look if I gave 5 negative feedbacks on Blue Board in one day to agencies with perfect scores. No one would ever work with me. My suggestion would be Pro-z should ask for a down-payment from agencies and serve as an intermediary in disputes.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
French to English
Suggstions Aug 21, 2017

Danijel Merkaš wrote:

One of the agencies I worked this summer just told me today they will not pay me because the client ended all communication with them, so they decided to end all communication with me. I don't understand that attitude, they sent me a PO and now they are not responsible because they didn't get paid.

With regard to the agency refusing to pay because their client has not paid them, you should insist. The agency is your client, they have an agreement with you, they have to pay you. The fact that their client has not paid them is their problem not yours. You have no contract with the end client. As you have realised, the agency is using that as an excuse.

Sadly, I have had this type of problem with a couple of agencies in the past, and not just with fly-by-night agencies, also with a couple of large so-called reputable agencies. It is one of the things that has made me very wary of agencies.

In which country is this agency based? If it is the UK, send them a mail and refer to the doctrine of "privitiy of contract" (the fact that you have a contract with the agent, (not the agent's client) and that the agent must pay you what was agreed). Then take steps to recover your money. Otherwise, you can of course post something on the Blue Board.

[Edited at 2017-08-21 09:34 GMT]

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:44
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
EU Small claims? Aug 22, 2017

Danijel Merkaš wrote:

I took 5 new clients because most of my regulars were on vacation. They rode me for 30 days eighteen hours a day until I delivered the translations. The second I delivered, all communication ended. They have no comment whatsoever. They showed no interest in invoices, terms of payment, nothing. I checked the Blue Board, they have perfect scores 5/5 and they chose me because their regular translators were on vacation. They never intended to pay. It is one thing to wait 40 days when they answer your emails and give you feedback, but when they wont confirm if they received the translations, that is a whole different thing.

Imagine how it would look if I gave 5 negative feedbacks on Blue Board in one day to agencies with perfect scores. No one would ever work with me. My suggestion would be Pro-z should ask for a down-payment from agencies and serve as an intermediary in disputes.

Consider filing a EU small claim? Sheila usually gives a link but I suppose you can find it online.
Don't give up, you are fully in your rights. Agencies haven't spoken to you since the job delivery - then it means they didn't have any complaints about the quality.
Insist on what is due to you.
I had several similar issues in the past, several agencies haven't paid me since ages ago but the amounts are not significant. Even so, I made a "shame wall" on my website and specified the name of the agency, the dtae ofthe deliery and the amount due to me.
A bigger issue was with an agency in Barcelona; I massacred them with my emails and asked friends to call them; they did pay in the end.
Ah, remembered now another one from Spain, from Bilbao - I wonder if I can report them on glassdoor. Many yeras have passed and the guy still ows me over 1000 euros, let him burn in hell! (Hope, sincere wishes are not against the rules?)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Our payment term is..."

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »