Will the confidential data be disclosed if I use dictation.io?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:05
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 7, 2016

I'm translating the supporting document for a legal case, and the document is strictly confidential. If I use dictation.io to dictate my translation, do you think someone will see the information in the document?

I just don't know how this app works, so I'm a bit worried about the issue described above.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I recommend Dragon Jul 7, 2016

Hmm, not sure about the confidentiality issue, but I just gave it a quick try and the results were pretty terrible. Terrible, that is, compared to Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13, which is what I usually use for my work. Perhaps you're getting better results than I am, but if not, I highly recommend giving Dragon to try!

Michael

[This post was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13. Please excuse any typos

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:05
English to French
+ ...
Simple: just say no Jul 8, 2016

then, don't use it.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is for the developers to answer Jul 8, 2016

Personally, I would avoid the use of online software for confidential documents, as you have no guarantee of how and where information about your work is stored.

You always have the option to use a desktop dictation solution instead.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 18:05
English to German
There is no free lunch Jul 8, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

I just don't know how this app works, so I'm a bit worried about the issue described above.

The development of a speech recognition engine requires a huge amount of time&knowhow. Or even more.

So, such apps are only wrappers for an existing software.

From dictation.io's website:
"The app internally uses the built-in speech recognition engine of Google Chrome to transform your voice into digital text."

Now you may have a look at Google's privacy statments. And: Just check how the app works if you have no Internet access, i. e. no connection to a Google server which – I think – analyzes your audio data, transforms it into text and sends that text to you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Will the confidential data be disclosed if I use dictation.io?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »