Thread poster: Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:43
English to German
Jul 13, 2017

Hi,

I would like to use my Trados licence on my laptop, so that I can be more flexible and take work out of the house, besides, my computer is going for a health check tomorrow.

I have loaded Trados 2015 onto my laptop, deactivated the licence on my normal computer and activated it on the laptop. So far so good, but how do I get all my files, projects, TMs and settings transferred, so that I can use both machines - is that possible?

Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:43
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, just copy them to the same location on your laptop Jul 13, 2017

Using a USB key.

Usually the SDL Trados folder is in "Documents".

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 13, 2017

I have copied the whole Studio 2015 file onto my laptop in the same location, but I can't import any TM, or open files for translation, LanguageCloud doesn't work either.

I don't want to mess things up when I go back to my computer.

How do I use an USB key?

Mark Nathan
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
USB key Jul 13, 2017

You can use a USB key as a temporary storage device to copy the files to from your computer, then plug it into your laptop and copy them to the appropriate location.

But if you have already copied the SDL folder, you don't need to worry about the USB key (although just out of interest, how did you copy them?).

If you haven't put it in exactly the same location on your laptop, Trados may invite you to identify the location of specific files, projects, TMs etc., which yo
... See more
You can use a USB key as a temporary storage device to copy the files to from your computer, then plug it into your laptop and copy them to the appropriate location.

But if you have already copied the SDL folder, you don't need to worry about the USB key (although just out of interest, how did you copy them?).

If you haven't put it in exactly the same location on your laptop, Trados may invite you to identify the location of specific files, projects, TMs etc., which you can do by clicking OK and then browsing to the location on your laptop. Or try to move the file to where Trados expects it to be (in user>documents).
Collapse

Mark Nathan
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Ideally the SDL folder would be in a dropbox type folder Jul 13, 2017

Which you could then access from two different devices.

I did have this set up on my computer/laptop, but things seem to have gone horribly wrong since I had to replace the hard drive on my computer.

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
OneDrive Jul 13, 2017

I have copied all files onto OneDrive, so that I can access them from the laptop.

I copied the whole Studio folder and replaced it with the one already there (I think it was empty).

Nothing seems to really work on the laptop, e.g. I loaded a new file, but there are no Batch Tasks available, it can't be prepared, nor can I load any TMs...

[Edited at 2017-07-13 10:00 GMT]

Mark Nathan
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Can you open an existing project on your laptop? Jul 13, 2017

If you go to an existing project in the projects folder, can you open it on your laptop?

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and no Jul 13, 2017

I open a project, can see all the files, but I can't open the files - it tells me that the files cannot be found, but I have no idea why.

However, I have managed to create a new project and load a new file, add a TM and TB - so at least something...

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Silly question Jul 13, 2017

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

I open a project, can see all the files, but I can't open the files - it tells me that the files cannot be found, but I have no idea why.

However, I have managed to create a new project and load a new file, add a TM and TB - so at least something...

Did you verify that the path under "Location" for your projects (in the "Projects" tab) matches the folders you copied over from your desktop PC?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Trados on my laptop

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »