Thread poster: Eva Gustavsson
Eva Gustavsson
Eva Gustavsson  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:15
German to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2020

Hi!

A small detail: How to use the menu with key commands? I see no underlined letters, not even on pressing Alt. I am using Linux Mint 19.3.

[Edited at 2020-02-10 12:01 GMT]

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Menu shortcuts Feb 10, 2020

Hello Eva,

CafeTran used to have such keyboard accelerators to access the main menus. However, as more and more functions were added, the shortcuts from the menus were assigned for the new actions. You can see lots of keyboard shortcuts next to the menu items to trigger the given action directly, instead of using the mouse to access those items via the main menu.

Eva Gustavsson
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
And for browsing the menus? Feb 10, 2020

Thank you, Igor. So there is no way to look through the menu searching for menu items without using the mouse? The only way to use the mouse is to learn these given commands by heart?

[Edited at 2020-02-10 13:25 GMT]

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
One click Feb 10, 2020

You can browse the menus with the arrow keys after the initial click at any menu.

Eva Gustavsson
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Feb 10, 2020

Thank you for the information, Igor!

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Script the menu? Feb 11, 2020

@Eva: Isn’t it possible to script CafeTran’s menu bar and its items with AutoKey?

https://github.com/autokey/autokey/blob/master/README.rst#documentation

https://youtu.be/I9-Rj5P1dq8

[Edited at 2020-02-11 04:56 GMT]

Eva Gustavsson
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Newbie Feb 11, 2020

Oh dear, that sounds interesting, but as a more or less complete newbie on Linux, I don't quite understand your kind suggestion ...

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
I'm not even sure ... Feb 11, 2020

Eva Gustavsson wrote:

Oh dear, that sounds interesting, but as a more or less complete newbie on Linux, I don't quite understand your kind suggestion ...

I'm not even sure if it is a relevant answer to your question. I hope that one of the Linux users will chime in.

However, I know from my Unix-like operation system macOS that scripting of the menus is very well possible. Perhaps it can be done (via API or via key sending) on Linux too?

Anyway, I had asked about ALT-letters as mnemonics too:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000060580

(Didn't receive an answer yet.)

Jeremy Amos
Jeremy Amos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:15
German to English
Autokey is not the answer Feb 14, 2020

HI Eva,

Hans, as ever, has got a little carried away.

Autokey is a very useful tool for experienced users (though I'm not sure I'd recommended it for Linux-newbies), but definitively not the answer here.

With lots of coding it could probably offer a flakey solution to this relatively trivial problem. I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

There are shortcuts for most CafeTran functions. You'll find a list under Edit -> Preferences,
... See more
HI Eva,

Hans, as ever, has got a little carried away.

Autokey is a very useful tool for experienced users (though I'm not sure I'd recommended it for Linux-newbies), but definitively not the answer here.

With lots of coding it could probably offer a flakey solution to this relatively trivial problem. I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

There are shortcuts for most CafeTran functions. You'll find a list under Edit -> Preferences, then select the Keyboard shortcuts tab.
These are also configurable, so you can set them up to suit your habits if that helps you.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any better option that using the mouse for the menus.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Feb 14, 2020

On my Ubuntu-based GNU/Linux distribution, F10 brings up the Project menu, and arrows can be used to navigate the menu bar items.

Bruno Veilleux

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling the menu

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »