Best translation software for a freelance
Thread poster: nurhussen
nurhussen
nurhussen
Local time: 18:54
Amharic to English
+ ...
Dec 10, 2020

Which software is best to translate text , if possible audio too, for personal use.I want to translate English into Amharic.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Dec 10, 2020

As for all things in translation, it depends on the context.

"Best" is highly situational and best left for each professional to decide. Such decisions should not be taken lightly.

So what if I say CafeTran Espresso is the best translation software? For which reasons, for what, for whom? Not very helpful. Yet that would be my answer.

Wolfgang Schoene
Tom in London
Hans Lenting
expressisverbis
Stepan Konev
Tariq Jamal Nawab

Matthias Fadtke (X)
Matthias Fadtke (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:54
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sticking to the common Dec 10, 2020

I have tried a few ones and actually I stick to Trados. Since I learned how to use it during my studies, I stick to it because I can rely on it, even though it is awfully expensive...

expressisverbis

Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A few ProZ.com pages that may be helpful Dec 10, 2020

Software Applications forum - you can search for the term "audio" there:

https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications-73.html

Checking the thread titles in the CAT Tools Technical Help forum (where you asked your question) can give you a few ideas:
... See more
Software Applications forum - you can search for the term "audio" there:

https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications-73.html

Checking the thread titles in the CAT Tools Technical Help forum (where you asked your question) can give you a few ideas:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help-1.html

Software Comparison Tool:

https://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool

[Bearbeitet am 2020-12-10 10:40 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cafetran Dec 10, 2020

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

"Best" is highly situational and best left for each professional to decide. Such decisions should not be taken lightly.

So what if I say CafeTran Espresso is the best translation software? For which reasons, for what, for whom? Not very helpful. Yet that would be my answer.

I agree. Having tried various CAT tools I decided to go with Cafetran because it's easy to use. The end product of all CAT tools is exactly the same thing (a translation of your document) but some make the process incredibly complicated and off-putting. CafeTran is user-friendly. You can get started with it immediately and then learn, over time, all the things you can do with it.

HOWEVER please note: there are many types of translation where a CAT tool will be of no use to you.

[Edited at 2020-12-10 11:05 GMT]

Jorge Payan

nurhussen
nurhussen
Amharic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much. Dec 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I agree. Having tried various CAT tools I decided to go with Cafetran because it's easy to use. The end product of all CAT tools is exactly the same thing (a translation of your document) but some make the process incredibly complicated and off-putting. CafeTran is user-friendly. You can get started with it immediately and then learn, over time, all the things you can do with it.

HOWEVER please note: there are many types of translation where a CAT tool will be of no use to you.

[Edited at 2020-12-10 11:05 GMT]

nurhussen
nurhussen
Amharic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Dec 11, 2020

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:54
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Everybody is talking about CAT tools Dec 11, 2020

but I guess the OP was looking for advice about automated translation apps.

[Edited at 2020-12-11 21:30 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
MT or CAT Dec 12, 2020

nurhussen wrote:

Which software is best to translate text , if possible audio too, for personal use.I want to translate English into Amharic.
Thank you in advance for your help.

MT: I found Amharic language at Chinese web site NiuTrans

Amharic = Amharština (in Czech)

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-09/28/cs/00.html

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-09/28/cs/02.html

CAT for personal use: common OS = Windows; location = desktop without uploading and downloading data to server; text editor = free open source; CAT = free without a predefined language code list.

Text editor= OpenOffice, LibreOffice
CAT = Anaphraseus (TM is compatible with Wordfast Classic and Worfast Pro 3).
For profi translation = OmegaT with build-in text (translation) editor

For audio in English use some transcribe SW or service. Then you can translate the text.

Milan
www.condak.cz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best translation software for a freelance

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »