tanyazst
tanyazst
Belarus
Local time: 10:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 5, 2006

Hi all!

I encountered a very unpleasant problem.
After a I finished my translation and tried to export it to MS Word, the tool reported a message: Deja Vu X was unable to export the following files: \[file name]. It did create a target folder, and even created a file, but the file was empty.

I checked the embedded codes, checked that the path is not too long, and removed images from the original text.

Still nothing helped...
See more
Hi all!

I encountered a very unpleasant problem.
After a I finished my translation and tried to export it to MS Word, the tool reported a message: Deja Vu X was unable to export the following files: \[file name]. It did create a target folder, and even created a file, but the file was empty.

I checked the embedded codes, checked that the path is not too long, and removed images from the original text.

Still nothing helped

Does anyone have a clue as to what I can do besides copy-pasting the translation to Word??? (which would take me forever since there are dozens of tables in the doc... )

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:14
German to English
+ ...
Various possibilities Jun 5, 2006

For example the position of the codes:
- Are the codes in source and target in the same order?
- Does anything come in front of codes which are at the start of the segment in source?
- Does anything come after codes which are at the end of the segment in source?

I suppose you have done the automatic code check (by going to the start of the file, pressing CTRL-Shift-F8, and if DVX finds problems, looking at the error comment at the very bottom left of the DVX wind
... See more
For example the position of the codes:
- Are the codes in source and target in the same order?
- Does anything come in front of codes which are at the start of the segment in source?
- Does anything come after codes which are at the end of the segment in source?

I suppose you have done the automatic code check (by going to the start of the file, pressing CTRL-Shift-F8, and if DVX finds problems, looking at the error comment at the very bottom left of the DVX window).

Have you introduced extra line breaks into the target text?
Have you entered curly brackets { or } as characters in the text?

Sometimes I find that export problems are fixed if I close DVX and Word (and perhaps even reboot the computer), then start up, open the DVX project and try again. (In such cases, it is Word that has gone on the blink, not DVX).

A more radical solution is to save the source file in a slightly different format under a different name (e.g. "save as" Word 6.0/95, or open it in OpenOffice, change some insignificant detail like adding a space at the end of a line, then save as Word). Then import the changed file and pretranslate with CTRL-P. Pretranslating will find almost entirely exact matches; the rest you will have to fix manually, but that is miles better than copy/pasting the whole translation from DVX to Word.
(If you do this, it is worth checking that any numbers and/or brackets at the end of exact match segments are right, just in case)

I hope you manage to fix your export quickly. I know the feeling - it's not common, but this problem very occasionally comes up.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:14
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Word files will export as blank when Word program is open Jun 5, 2006

Make sure you've closed all Word files (and the Word window) before exporting.

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
export in two columns Jun 5, 2006

It occurred to me several times that I could not export the finished translation. In such cases I use the option of exporting in two columns. You will have then a table, where there are original fragments in the left column and corresponding translations in the right. Then you remove the left column, convert a table to text and apply the original formatting to the document. It also can take a lot of time, but (as the method above), can save you some effort.

Piotr

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Is the source file still were it was at time of importing? Jun 6, 2006

Just a guess.
Is the source file still in the path where it was at time of importing? Did you rename some part of its path?
Ilde

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Only for certain file types Jun 6, 2006

Ilde Grimaldi wrote:
Is the source file still in the path where it was at time of importing? Did you rename some part of its path?
Ilde

I believe this only applies to Excel and PowerPoint files.
They not only have to be in the same place, they even have to be unchanged.

But for Word files, it does not matter where the source file is. And the restriction on path length (which tanyazst mentioned in the question) was an issue with DV3, but not with DVX.
So the problem lies elsewhere.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Try exporting the source file Jun 6, 2006

If you haven't tried yet, you may want to make a copy of your project file (you should not try this in your actual project file), mark all segments and populate them (F5).

Try to export the file; if the problem persists, chances are that you have done nothing wrong during translation, and the problem lies with DV's import procedure.

Conversely, if the populated file exports fine, there must be something
... See more
If you haven't tried yet, you may want to make a copy of your project file (you should not try this in your actual project file), mark all segments and populate them (F5).

Try to export the file; if the problem persists, chances are that you have done nothing wrong during translation, and the problem lies with DV's import procedure.

Conversely, if the populated file exports fine, there must be something wrong with the codes in your project as described in detail by Victor.

Endre
Collapse

tanyazst
tanyazst
Belarus
Local time: 10:14
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent suggestions! Jun 7, 2006

I tried to export the project in columns, as Piotr had suggested (I assume it was the File -> Export -> External View, but maybe there is another way??), and it worked just as he had described.

I went through all the codes again, following Victor's advice, but everything was fine there. I guess DejaVu just failed to digest the complex graphs in the source file.... :-\ Oh well...

This topic sure helped A LOT and I will keep it for future reference...
See more
I tried to export the project in columns, as Piotr had suggested (I assume it was the File -> Export -> External View, but maybe there is another way??), and it worked just as he had described.

I went through all the codes again, following Victor's advice, but everything was fine there. I guess DejaVu just failed to digest the complex graphs in the source file.... :-\ Oh well...

This topic sure helped A LOT and I will keep it for future reference Thanks everyone!!!

P.S. Endre, how do you make a copy of the project file in DejaVu?
Collapse

bobazu
bobazu
solved exporting issue [Deja Vu X was unable to export the following files: ...] Dec 6, 2011

tanyazst wrote:

Hi all!

tried to export it to MS Word, the tool reported a message: Deja Vu X was unable to export the following files: \[file name].

The issue can be caused by characters in the filename of the imported file, which are not supported by the OS.

Two approaches can be used:

(Never tried this myself)
1. change default language for the applications not supporting Unicode (under Control Panel > Region and Language settings > Advanced (or Administration) > Default Language for applications not supporting Unicode) [change to the code page you thing your file is named in], restart PC, try exporting again.

(this worked for me - 5 minutes issue)
2. under project explorer change Translation Memory and Terminology Database to a blank new files, resolve the whole project with the memory and database, exit. Rename the input file using English alphanumeric characters without diacritics, open DejaVu, create new project importing the renamed file using the memory and database created above. Pretranslate. Export. It should work.

Regards

Lbenito_atril
Lbenito_atril
Check Embedded Codes Dec 7, 2011

Did you use DVX's "Check Embedded Codes" function? Without it it is unlikely you will find all instances of incorrectly placed embedded codes unless the project you are working with is short and simple.

You can run this check by accessing the menu option QA>Check Embedded Codes, or by pressing the key combination Control+Shift+F8. When you do this DVX will start checking the current row, and go down, row by row, until it finds a target cell with incorrectly placed embedded codes, an
... See more
Did you use DVX's "Check Embedded Codes" function? Without it it is unlikely you will find all instances of incorrectly placed embedded codes unless the project you are working with is short and simple.

You can run this check by accessing the menu option QA>Check Embedded Codes, or by pressing the key combination Control+Shift+F8. When you do this DVX will start checking the current row, and go down, row by row, until it finds a target cell with incorrectly placed embedded codes, and it will show a message on the status bar (at the bottom left-hand side of the DVX window) about the problem it has found. If it does not find anything, it will show a message on the status bar to that effect.

The check only runs from the current row downwards, and only in the segments currently displayed on the grid, so if you want to run the check o the whole project you should display the whole project (by double-clicking on the project name in the File Navigator), select "All Rows" in the Row Selector and then place the cursor in the first segment.

For more information about what to do when a file fails to import you can read the article called "I cannot export a file from Déjà Vu" in Atril's Knowledge Base: http://helpdesk.atril.com

[Edited at 2011-12-07 09:13 GMT]
Collapse

ozkariaz
ozkariaz
English to Spanish
Renamed file caused the problem Jun 17, 2018

I just had the same problem, and realized that I changed the name of the file, not in the PC folder, but in the DV list of files by right-clicking and applying the "Rename" option of the pop-up menu. Once I changed it back to match the original document's file, I was able to export.

Jörg Loebnau

Shelley Upton
Shelley Upton  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:14
Member (2018)
French to English
Deja Vu X: Unable to export file May 10, 2020

This just happened to me in Deja Vu X3.
I solved it by changing the destination folder from the default, which is Downloads to the folder where I keep all me DVX3 files. And it exported immediately, no problem.
Phew!
Thank you to all the previous writers, there were lots of useful tips there, although none worked on my file - no codes or tags or anything.

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deja Vu X: Unable to export file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »