Thread poster: Lily von Wielligh (X)
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Africans Jul 11, 2020

@ Jo - just remember that the African guys who sell the fake Rolexes only do it because they are excluded from society by the racial prejudice of the indigenous whites, and that they are working for white ba*****s who wear real Rolexes - although I've never understood why anyone would even want a Rolex. If you want to know what time it is, just ask somebody.

[Edited at 2020-07-11 13:53 GMT]

Jo Macdonald
Baran Keki
Marina Taffetani
neilmac

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Paid membership counts too Jul 11, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
Finally, I understand what I did wrong. Over many years on proz.com, not a single potential employer ever tried to contact me. Even though I submit quotes... Even though I often comment posts on this forum... However, I never tried fiddling with kudoz
Now I doubt about paid membership even more, when I know that kudoz is the key...

Even with a million KudoZ points, you wouldn't leapfrog the beginner translator who paid for membership yesterday and has zero KudoZ points. All paying members are placed before any non-paying registered user. So you really need to invest both time and money in the site.

@ Lily: A too-low rate will have an extremely negative effect on everyone other than the "peanut" translation brokers, IMHO. Everyone using the site, other than a few potential direct clients, has an idea of the market rate. If they hope for a half-decent result, they'll ignore the stupidly low quotes. Check out the Community Rates tool on the site. You really won't gain anything useful by going below the minimum for your pair.

Jean Dimitriadis
Christel Zipfel
Stepan Konev
Tina Vonhof (X)

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:13
English to Russian
Got it now Jul 11, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Even with a million KudoZ points, you wouldn't leapfrog the beginner translator who paid for membership yesterday and has zero KudoZ points. All paying members are placed before any non-paying registered user. So you really need to invest both time and money in the site.

Ah, now I see. Thank you for your clarification.

Janet Muehlbacher
Janet Muehlbacher  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:13
German to English
+ ...
Stepan Kopnev I agree Jul 13, 2020

of course, there is no disclaimer BEFORE people pay for membership, to the effect that you have a practically zero chance of being visible to potential clients, because you don´t have any Kudoz points as a beginner, and even if you answered questions regularly, you couldn´t get high enough in the rankings.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It isn't just about KudoZ; it's about getting all your ducks in a row Jul 13, 2020

Janet Muehlbacher wrote:
of course, there is no disclaimer BEFORE people pay for membership, to the effect that you have a practically zero chance of being visible to potential clients, because you don´t have any Kudoz points as a beginner, and even if you answered questions regularly, you couldn´t get high enough in the rankings.

It's really not that difficult to rise in the rankings when you consider that most clients will search for a filtered list of translators.

Before you buy membership, you're presented with this page: https://www.proz.com/professional-membership (at least, you can go via that page -- maybe you can also skip it). That clearly says that you'll immediately be listed above all non-paying registered users. Obviously there could be hundreds if not thousands of others in that list with you, depending on the pair.

Whenever you yourself do a search for translators like you -- and there are various places around the site that suggest you do exactly that from time to time -- you'll find that on your own entry you can click on "How to improve your listing". There (https://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/98/ ), you'll find all the other things that can help improve your position in the list.

[Edited at 2020-07-13 10:33 GMT]

Endre Both
Lily von Wielligh (X)
Stepan Konev
esperantisto

Lily von Wielligh (X)
Lily von Wielligh (X)
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:13
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Jul 13, 2020

Thank you so so much for sharing your valuable experiences. I admire professionals like most of you are, but I also realize now that I have very low chances on this site. If there was a "refund" button, I would have requested it But there isn't so I guess I will stick with this strategy:

- Equip myself in copywriting
- offer pro buono for the sake of reviews
- invest into KudoZ points
- continue qu
... See more
Thank you so so much for sharing your valuable experiences. I admire professionals like most of you are, but I also realize now that I have very low chances on this site. If there was a "refund" button, I would have requested it But there isn't so I guess I will stick with this strategy:

- Equip myself in copywriting
- offer pro buono for the sake of reviews
- invest into KudoZ points
- continue quoting and not make the price too low

But hey, if one could get points for starting popular discussions i would have scored a few hehe. I appreciate your responses
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
80 cents? Jul 13, 2020

Lily von Wielligh wrote:
I also realize now that I have very low chances on this site. If there was a "refund" button, I would have requested it

It's a shame you feel that way, but you have as much chance as anyone and you can get a great ROI from just one job, so hopefully something will come along to change your mind.

Until then,

that's a good move, but I think you might find that 80 USD cents per word prices you out of many markets here, if not all .

esperantisto

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Refund Jul 13, 2020

Lily von Wielligh wrote:

If there was a "refund" button, I would have requested it

If you are really serious about wanting a refund it may well be possible.

1.10 - What if I decide that I am not satisfied with my membership —can I get a refund?

Yes. When you purchase your Standard membership, you can request a full refund for up to 30 days. Full refunds are only available for your first purchase.

For the Standard service package, ProZ.com offers a full satisfaction guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with your ProZ.com membership, submit a support request. A prorated refund corresponding to the remaining months will be issued, less any payment fees that have been charged. Prorated refunds may not be available on purchases of the Plus service package.

Note that refunds for payments made by credit card, Skrill, or PayPal will be processed using the method that was originally used to make payment, —credit card payments are refunded to the paying credit card, Skrill payments are refunded to the paying Skrill account, etc. Due to high transfer fees, users who pay via wire transfer (either locally or to ProZ.com's bank in the U.S.) or Western Union will be asked to provide an alternate refund method —in this case, either PayPal or Skrill. ProZ.com may also provide refunds via check for those users residing in the United States.

https://www.proz.com/faq/3988#3988

Lily von Wielligh (X)

Lily von Wielligh (X)
Lily von Wielligh (X)
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My rate is not 80 cents Jul 13, 2020

that's a good move, but I think you might find that 80 USD cents per word prices you out of many markets here, if not all . [/quote]

My rates are not 80 cents, why do you say that? I checked now, it was on 0.02

[Edited at 2020-07-13 17:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lily Jul 13, 2020

Lily von Wielligh wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
I think you might find that 80 USD cents per word prices you out of many markets here...
My rates are not 80 cents, why do you say that? I checked now, it was on 0.02.

At this time, your rates are shown as:

rates russian
(I'm not sure where Sheila got the USD 0.8 per word from either.)

FWIW, paid membership gives you better access to the Blue Board, so make use of it while you can.

[Edited at 2020-07-13 19:23 GMT]

Lily von Wielligh (X)
Lily von Wielligh (X)
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Raised it slightly Jul 14, 2020

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

At this time, your rates are shown as:

rates russian

Yes, I raised it a bit following the advice of more experienced colleagues Thanks Samuel!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ёёёёёжииик! or I'm kinda lost

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »