Thread poster: Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
German to French
+ ...
Aug 24, 2007

Hi,

I must admit there had been some incredible work on wine in the 6 last weeks between the first hiccups of .NET the last time I write the post to .NET fully working.

A great help from SDL in the future would be that they place the installation of C++ 2005 before the installation of .NET 2 in the next version (won't do any harm for window users) so that we could install it on one go (.NET 2 needs some components provided by C ++ 2005).

So where I am:
... See more
Hi,

I must admit there had been some incredible work on wine in the 6 last weeks between the first hiccups of .NET the last time I write the post to .NET fully working.

A great help from SDL in the future would be that they place the installation of C++ 2005 before the installation of .NET 2 in the next version (won't do any harm for window users) so that we could install it on one go (.NET 2 needs some components provided by C ++ 2005).

So where I am:

Everything is installing except the floating license server (crashing because of an unapplied function - it may then work in the future). I don't know yet how to write a log file in a text, so I can't send a but notice about it. The terminal remains in the background with the floating licence starting picture freezing on the foreground, so I can hardly see anything and I loose everything through a restart (can't access the terminal - pretty bad!)

I can apply my floating license but since the license server is not (yet) working, I must enter the path each time.

C++ 2005 had a problem about following changes in the virtual memory (has yet to be applied to) so it is not keeping track of where is what. It may be a reason why when I open TagEditor, it can't load Workbench.

SDLX is licensing fine, working fine but does not react when one wants to load a file for translation. Tag Editor is doing the same, remains blank and uses so much memory that I can't even run any other programs (like evolution), it blocks everything.

Workbench is loading, remaining in demo mode because of the missing license server.

The macros in Word are not yet fully working so I can't test workbench in word.

I hope I will be about to run it for my new computer (maybe next year).

I will tell you when the installion is running fluently in Crossover ( I mean, in one got without adding dlls or having to restart 5 times the installation process).

At least there is a chance.

Btw. I got through my problems with accents. I changed the configuration of the keyboard (changed the brand) and most of them are working with some playing around, and found the problem with the driver of my colour printer.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
ReactOS? Aug 24, 2007

Hi Yolande,

I admire your efforts with trying to get Trados working on Linux. Have you considered trying ReactOS? They say they will get to the beta stage in a not too distant future.

I follow your efforts closely, and one day I might do what you are trying to do, because I don't intend to upgrade to Vista, so I'm already looking for alternatives.

Regards,

Piotr

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ReactOS Aug 24, 2007

Piotr

I didn't know about ReactOS, but giving the price of a professional license for Trados, I am seriously trying anything before considering selling or (not even thinking of) simply giving up on Trados. Trados has so many filters, like for InDesign, XML, Framemaker etc. that I can not simply go to simplier tools like wordfast, which are mainly for translators working on simple texts or TMX.

I gave to myself the goal that my next computer will be a computer prepared f
... See more
Piotr

I didn't know about ReactOS, but giving the price of a professional license for Trados, I am seriously trying anything before considering selling or (not even thinking of) simply giving up on Trados. Trados has so many filters, like for InDesign, XML, Framemaker etc. that I can not simply go to simplier tools like wordfast, which are mainly for translators working on simple texts or TMX.

I gave to myself the goal that my next computer will be a computer prepared for linux so that there are no driver/hardware problem anymore.

My husband is planing to buy another computer without O/S to install XP again on it.

I think, even because of our differences, we have the same mind about Vista.

Wish me luck to get heard. I have no clue about programming, so I can only try to make people aware of the problems and hoping that my problems are the same that a wider audience is having. Not that somebody will ever care about a software for translators.

I will try to get my programming husband on it, but his interest has been very cool on it at the moment and it may be something he will think of if the 1000's other things are done (not that I don't understand - I will probably have to be further down the road for him to work on the dlls.)

Regards,

Yolande

P.S. Believe me, I have absolutely no clue about programming.
I got everything like a translator searching for a term he doesn't know about:
I searched in Google for the error numbers, error wording and I found many hints about differents people on the Wine/Codeweaver or Microsoft forums.
I tried then to make some background research to understand how the things talked about belongs together and how it applied to me.

The first hint about the runtime error aborting the installation and why it could be so had been from an antivirus provider talking about an error message when the antivirus destroyed a particular file.

Not the classic way of searching, very time intensive but very informative and for me it's like a clue guessing game. The only difference is that I can't repair things myself.

[Edited at 2007-08-24 11:55]
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Time for me to start looking around, too Aug 24, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

Piotr

There is also CAT software that runs natively on Linux, it's Heartsome Translation Suite, release 7 will be out towards the end of this year, and it has many filters, too. It can handle TagEditor TTX files as well.

P.S. Believe me, I have absolutely no clue about programming.
I got everything like a translator searching for a term he doesn't know about:
I searched in Google for the error numbers, error wording and I found many hints about differents people on the Wine/Codeweaver or Microsoft forums.

The more so you deserve praise for not giving up on it. I will have to start looking around/experimenting, because if one/both of my computers die some day (they're both beyond the warranty period), my new computer will not have Vista on board.

Regards,

Piotr

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
CAT tools and Linux Aug 25, 2007

I think having Trados running on Wine would be a crucial step for the translators wishing to work on Linux. You can install Word 2000 (working perfectly on wine) or Word 2003 (if you prefer) and you can work in all Microsoft formats (secured by the fact that Microsoft is said to own trados) without having Office 2007 which is causing great headaches to Wine.

You can work on documents for powerpoint 2007, send them back clean without corrupting them without ever had office 2007 on y
... See more
I think having Trados running on Wine would be a crucial step for the translators wishing to work on Linux. You can install Word 2000 (working perfectly on wine) or Word 2003 (if you prefer) and you can work in all Microsoft formats (secured by the fact that Microsoft is said to own trados) without having Office 2007 which is causing great headaches to Wine.

You can work on documents for powerpoint 2007, send them back clean without corrupting them without ever had office 2007 on your linux computer, and not thinking of the fact that Office 2007 may not work for a long time on Wine because of Vista security checks.

You can add this list to all the 3rd parties formats not running native on linux

I think getting Trados to run would be a great step for us. Wordfast is very good but you mostly need to have prepared tmx documents or work in Word.

If I get Tag Editor running on Linux, I would be more independant from windows and this is probably a reason more that there will never be a step from outside to port it to something else than windows.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sounds great Aug 25, 2007

I would prefer though to run Trados on BEER.
But what I do not understand why you need to be independent from Windows. Why not run Word 2000 or 2003 on WinXP like normal people.
No offence meant!
Heinrich

Yolande Haneder (X)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not XP Aug 25, 2007

Because unlike normal people I got my computer corrupted by the automatic update of T3000 (seemed they tried to run me an update for V8, although I had version 7), or some kind of attack through the automatic update.

I understood how easy it would be for a hacker to hack the server of T3000 distributor (are they not in the Ukraine? as from my last experience with the Ukraine, the translators are great but it seems that their situation is pretty catastrophic), so that I could get an
... See more
Because unlike normal people I got my computer corrupted by the automatic update of T3000 (seemed they tried to run me an update for V8, although I had version 7), or some kind of attack through the automatic update.

I understood how easy it would be for a hacker to hack the server of T3000 distributor (are they not in the Ukraine? as from my last experience with the Ukraine, the translators are great but it seems that their situation is pretty catastrophic), so that I could get an automatic download of a virus anytime.

It happened like that:
Once I wanted to open T3000, I got a message that an automatic update was done and I had to click on a button to proceed to saving the files to finish the update. Me, like an idiot, trusted T300 and clicked on the button just to notice that the T3000 directory was afterwards empty (no backup) just with an unknown file.

On the next day, the antivirus noticed unallowed files. I deleted them, It made things worse.
Trados stopped working - install repair reinstored things.
Ultra edit was corrupted, unable to install or repair.
ftp was corrupted.
No sound anymore on the headset.
Windows freezing on shutting down ( I mean remained blue), grew slower from day to day. Every day another software corrupted.

The next week-end (about 4 days later), I reformated the disk and spent two days reinstalling windows and things. We spent 3 weeks writing the basis of a replacement software for T3000 and recreating the client database for 2007 (as from e-mails, quotes and invoices). Now we have our own customed software, quicker than T3000 because I just have to fill one form, click on the file I want and a pdf is created + it is tied with my translators database so now we track each invoice with the translator who did it.

That was the last day I was happy about windows. Each time I swich windows, I see Java trying to go through the firewall to get an update I don't want to. If using windows means that every sofware developper can get the free access to my computer to do and change whatever he wants, no.

On linux every update is only done if it is compatible with the software I have and my drivers. I will never go back to windows, it would cause me too much stress every time I have to agree that a software connects itself to the internet to be able to use it.
On linux I feel secure. There is no bypass of my firewall for Windows update or anything using the channel. Even if they did, no update could happen without me accepting it.

I am not a normal person. Like we says in french (something like), scalded cat fears cold water.

Sorry, no more windows for me. Even with an incremental image every day and backup on an external drive, I don't feel secure anymore.
Collapse

Miguel Armentia
Miguel Armentia
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Any news? Oct 15, 2009

Hi Yolande,

I would like to know about your progress with Wine and Trados. I am considering running Linux on my laptop and I don't know if my Trados 7 Freelance would flow without any problems.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña
Juan Manuel Macarlupu Peña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:33
English to Spanish
Lets try Nov 25, 2009

Hi, I have read about your attempts to get Trados working on Linux and I hope you are lucky. Trados is actually one of the reasons I still keep a Windows partition in my computer. I'll try to install my Trados 7 Freelance on Wine on My Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and let you know if I succeeded. Let us know about your progress!

[Edited at 2009-11-25 22:52 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

News on my work about getting Trados running on Wine

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »