Security of GMAIL
Thread poster: Robschmidt (X)
Robschmidt (X)
Robschmidt (X)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 12, 2005

A few colleagues were saying the other day that the newly introduced but very attractive GMAIL service is not particularly reliable as people have access to your mailboxes and the security of a Gamail account is in question.

Frankly the argument was not very convincing but I would want users of this service to give their opinions. Is there any substance in this at all??

Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)
Gabriela Tenenbaum (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
What they say about it. Mar 13, 2005

Don't know if it's the ultimate truth but here is what THEY say about it:

See more
Don't know if it's the ultimate truth but here is what THEY say about it:

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=43

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6599

Though is not my favourite, I also have an account and never had any problem.

Best regards,
Gaby.

[Edited at 2005-03-13 17:58]
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:57
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Happy user Mar 13, 2005

I've been using gmail since last summer and have never had a problem.
FWIW,
Catherine

Robschmidt (X)
Robschmidt (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so am I but......... Mar 13, 2005

Catherine, I too am very satisfied with the service so far but any kind of suspicion tends to put you off! isnt it??

I was told by some that the Gmail mailboxes can be accessed by searching on google and that would really be an invasion into one's privacy. It is indeed disturbing something of that sort.

I just hope all this ISNT TRUE

cbolton wrote:

I've been using gmail since last summer and have never had a problem.
FWIW,
Catherine

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google says not Mar 14, 2005

Robschmidt wrote:

I was told by some that the Gmail mailboxes can be accessed by searching on google and that would really be an invasion into one's privacy. It is indeed disturbing something of that sort.

A page pointed to by of the links posted by Gabriela speaks directly to this concern:
http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=7994&topic=43

Will my Gmail messages appear in Google Search results?

Answer: No. The contents of your email are never included as Google Search results. Google takes the security of your email information extremely seriously. No humans read the contents of Gmail user messages without explicit permission, or in circumstances other than those outlined in our privacy policy.

I suppose the people who told you Google searches will access Gmail mailboxes must believe that Google is not telling the truth...

Nevertheless, if Google's statement were not true, it would soon become evident.

[Edited at 2005-03-15 14:47]

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:57
French to English
Opening a Gmail account Mar 14, 2005

How do you open an account? It sounds great but the site says it's only testing and it doesn't seem possible to open an account.

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
By invitation Mar 14, 2005

Mary Lalevée wrote:

How do you open an account? It sounds great but the site says it's only testing and it doesn't seem possible to open an account.

So far Google is only adding new members by invitation. I have had an account for a while and have now gotten 50 invitations to hand out.

If you or anyone else would like one, please email me at

[email protected]

Dan

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 00:57
Member (2003)
French to English
I've never had any problems Mar 15, 2005

I have heard the supposed potential problems - and appreciate any warnings - but haven't run into any problems myself.

BTW, I think I still have 4 invitations for Gmail, just in case someone does want them (first come, first served). Just go ahead and email me through my Proz.com profile, thanks.

Xuchun
Xuchun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
I like the new features of gmail Mar 21, 2005

Gmail has the POP3 function and the notifier, which are really appealing to me. I have 47 invitations remaining. If anyone wants one, feel free to email me.

[Edited at 2005-03-21 11:25]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 12:57
Chinese to English
+ ...
Security Feb 28, 2021

I doubt people out there can see what's in your Gmail easily. I'm not all that confident that Google isn't peeking into it, however.

Daryo

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Lincoln, Feb 28, 2021

This is getting tedious.

If you wish to discuss something, why not submit your own forum posting rather than reviving >15yo inactive threads?

All you're achieving is that more recent chats are being bumped down the list. If that's your goal, then congrats.

C

Angie Garbarino
writeaway
Robert Rietvelt
Rachel Fell
Irene McClure

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
GMAIL OK Mar 9, 2021

It's now 2021 and I've been using G-mail for a few years now. The only issue I have with it is that I get a lot of spam, particularly in one of the three accounts I currently have. I mainly use one account as a backup for when my other free webmail account (Yahoo) isn't working properly. The other two accounts I use mostly for logging into websites that require registration when I don't want to use one of my main work e-mail addresses, to avoid excess spam, which as I see as the main risk in usi... See more
It's now 2021 and I've been using G-mail for a few years now. The only issue I have with it is that I get a lot of spam, particularly in one of the three accounts I currently have. I mainly use one account as a backup for when my other free webmail account (Yahoo) isn't working properly. The other two accounts I use mostly for logging into websites that require registration when I don't want to use one of my main work e-mail addresses, to avoid excess spam, which as I see as the main risk in using free webmail.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Security of GMAIL

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »