Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
That commercial idea in full Dec 20, 2020

If they can find the idea, that is. I've been looking, believe me, but I'm not seeing any ideas. Not a one. Could it be something to do with the Sphinx and weed-growing below the nose?

It's true that the Guinness people have had some off-the-wall adverts in their time, including Rutger Hauer and dolphins, but l can't see them working in the Sphinx and weed-growing below the nose. Especially as the Sphinx doesn't have a nose any more.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
English to Arabic
+ ...
... Dec 20, 2020

Publishing one and delaying the other so that you can come up with those unfunny lines?
I know this thread has been stealing your thunder (or lightning, or whatever you're emitting these days) since I started posting in it, but the solution is you need to stop shovelling quantities and start spooning qualities.
See what I did there? Just 4 words (shovelling quantities spooning qualities) to sum up your dilemma and fix it for you. Enjoy!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 10:49
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Merry Christmas Everyone! Dec 21, 2020

Sem Tรญtulo

Merry Christmas to my best friends!
Santa knew just what I wanted when he brought you into my life!
Merry Christmas!

Thomas T. Frost
Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
Rachel Fell

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dearest Exy Dec 21, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Merry Christmas!

You are the gift that keeps on giving, in the loveliest, most marvellous ways!

Zibow Retailleau
Thomas T. Frost
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schrรถder
Jean Dimitriadis
Matthias Brombach

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
And Merry Christmas to you, Sandra, and to you all Dec 21, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Merry Christmas!

What a lovely card and thoughts, Sandra. I don't know how bad the situation is in Portugal, but I hope you and your family are well and in good spirits, and of course I'll say the same to everybody else here. We're going through tough times and need to remain positive, and this topic is an excellent way of doing it. The wit and humour on display here from so many colleagues, not least from you, is just what the doctor prescribed.

Merry Christmas

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schrรถder
P.L.F. Persio
Jean Dimitriadis
Matthias Brombach

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
And... Dec 21, 2020

... you are so unique and precious, my dearest PLF Persio!
Friends make the good times better and the hard times easier.
Through this year, you and the others made it!

Zibow Retailleau
Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kay Denney

Christopher Schrรถder
Christopher Schrรถder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lovinโ€™ the love-in Dec 21, 2020

As a Rastafarian, I donโ€™t celebrate Christmas until January, and I donโ€™t suppose the lockdown will be eased then for us to go out and get the necessary supplies of ganja, although the Lord does move in mysterious ways.

But Happy Hols all. Stay safe.

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
With a little help from my friends Dec 21, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Friends make the good times better and the hard times easier.
Through this year, you and the others made it!

We all made it together, Sandra my precious Flor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5JT7wnlZM

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, everyone Dec 21, 2020

And I think Chris might have pushed an idea my way for the next Santa Claus File. I can say no more ...

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rastas Dec 21, 2020

Don't Rastas say that "I and I" stuff, as in "I and I don't celebrate Christmas until January ,,,", and "I and I don't suppose ..."? But not "The Lord and the Lord move in mysterious ways", I suppose.

What do you and you think?

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christopher Schrรถder

Christopher Schrรถder
Christopher Schrรถder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Autocorrect๐Ÿ™„ Dec 21, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Don't Rastas say that "I and I" stuff, as in "I and I don't celebrate Christmas until January ,,,", and "I and I don't suppose ..."? But not "The Lord and the Lord move in mysterious ways", I suppose.

What do you and you think?

Sorry, autocorrect to blame here.

With the UK now fully cut off from Europe (the 52% shouldโ€™ve been careful what they wished for, eh?), potentially causing disruption to imports of some fresh produce, such as lettuce and broccoli, the supermarkets have of course been emptied overnight of key perishable goods such as toilet roll, rice and pasta.

As a pastatarian (got it right this time๐Ÿ‘Œ), Iโ€™m therefore going to have to postpone Christmas until January, by which time lasagna (not ganja๐Ÿ™„) should be back in stock, according to our great prophet Ziti Rigati III.

But I do have three-foot dreadlocks.

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster Dec 21, 2020

Chris S wrote:

As a Rastafarian, I donโ€™t celebrate Christmas until January, and I donโ€™t suppose the lockdown will be eased then for us to go out and get the necessary supplies of ganja, although the Lord does move in mysterious ways.

But Happy Hols all. Stay safe.

I'd have bet you were a Pastafarian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/18/pasta-strainers-and-pirates-how-the-church-of-the-flying-spaghetti-monster-was-born

Pastafarianism differs from other religions in that it doesnโ€™t solicit funds from its followers, having no hierarchy and no physical places of worship to maintain. Its home is in cyberspace. And the only dogma is that there is no dogma. (Instead of 10 commandments, it offers eight โ€œIโ€™d really rather you didnโ€™tsโ€.)

The article also mentions Bobby Henderson, a young physics graduate from Oregon State University, who might well be our Mervyn's long-lost American cousin.

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schrรถder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kay Denney

Christopher Schrรถder
Christopher Schrรถder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
To spoon or not to spoon Dec 21, 2020

P.L.F.Persio wrote:
Pastafarian

I feel moved once again to express my awe at the erudition of my esteemed colleagues. Not to mention my shock that something so fundamentally British actually originated in the US. That challenged a few preconceptions. Consider my horizons permanently widened.

Zibow Retailleau
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Kay Denney

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bobby Henderson Dec 21, 2020

I wish you hadn't pointed out Bobby Henderson, PLF. Black sheep. They don't talk about him much in the family. "That Bobby Bozo," said my great aunt one day, when I found her busy cutting him out of all the photos in her family albums. "Thank God for the Atlantic, that's all I can say."

Zibow Retailleau
Christopher Schrรถder
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Things I don't understand Dec 21, 2020

"And, guys, seriously, don't you ever feel the least bit of shame when you counter-post against me several persons at a time like that?!!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ƒ You've never seen me summoning help, ever!!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ƒ The next time you do it I'm bringing my obelisks.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚"

Why all the smilies when nobody's laughing or smiling? ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒAs for the several persons at a time, that just means you have an inordinate ability to attract discrepancy and aversion. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๏ฟฝ
... See more
"And, guys, seriously, don't you ever feel the least bit of shame when you counter-post against me several persons at a time like that?!!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ƒ You've never seen me summoning help, ever!!!!!!๐Ÿ˜ƒ The next time you do it I'm bringing my obelisks.๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‚"

Why all the smilies when nobody's laughing or smiling? ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒAs for the several persons at a time, that just means you have an inordinate ability to attract discrepancy and aversion. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ And no, I've never seen you summoning help, but sometimes I think it's what you need. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost
Matthias Brombach

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »