Thread poster: Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Feb 16, 2021

I found it anachronistic, useless and confusing, people often do not realize the start date, so discussion become odd, obsolete and useless, in 20 years the world has changed, many different things happened.
I wonder if there is a way to stop this, perhaps by locking the more obsolete ones?
Thanks a lot

[Edited at 2021-02-16 14:27 GMT]

Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
writeaway

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2008)
Italian to English
We know Feb 16, 2021

At least we know who's doing it (look at the most recent posts)

[Edited at 2021-02-16 15:00 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Andy Watkinson
Ivana UK

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Angie Feb 16, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:
I wonder if there is a way to stop this, perhaps by locking the more obsolete ones?

It's a loophole that is being exploited by members whom I have assumed are simply venting their pandemic frustration. The loophole should not be plugged, however -- it is good that one can reply to very old threads. It is just unfortunate that some people are now abusing it.

In 99% of recent necroposting cases, the necroposter could easily have just posted a new thread. In at least one case, the necroposter was replying to someone who had already died. In some other cases, the necroposter replies to people who are no longer registered at ProZ.com.

I would be in favour of some kind of warning or colouration of the thread or the newly posted post.

[Edited at 2021-02-16 14:34 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Liviu-Lee Roth
Rachel Waddington

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Samuel Feb 16, 2021

Colour, yes, perhaps a black bow.

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Kevin Fulton
Zibow Retailleau
Hugh Thomson
Ivana UK

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
interest piqued Feb 16, 2021

Wow, you've really piqued my interest. Care to point me in the right direction so I can see what you guys are talking about?

Michael

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
From 2004... Feb 16, 2021

Santa Claus' address anybody?

https://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/27042-santa_claus_address.html

Angie Garbarino

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Personally... Feb 16, 2021

it's putting me off visiting the website. Maybe His Ownership should be made aware of what's happening...

Angie Garbarino
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Funny. Feb 16, 2021

Funny, they have had more than 20 years to freeze all those threads they want buried...but guess what? They didn't do it

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Exactly Feb 16, 2021

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
it's putting me off visiting the website.

Well, this is the point, right? Somebody dug up an old thread a few weeks ago, because ProZ.com doesn't lock them, or even warn about them. Lincoln got annoyed and has since been on a one-man campaign to get ProZ.com to lock them, basically by irritating others to the point that they complain to ProZ.com itself.

Management then subsequently has to decide whether to (a) ignore complaints from multiple paying members, (b) spend money to make the changes required to add locks/warnings to old threads, or (c) ban Lincoln, who is also, if I am not mistaken, a paying member.

Given that ProZ.com moves at a snail's pace even to implement changes they think are useful, which is presumably not the case here, I feel that Lincoln may have misjudged his adversary somewhat. (Especially if money needs to be spent.) I suspect that ProZ.com does nothing, and that the only effect is a rise in the background level of annoyance among forum members.

This kind of thing would be prevented by a functioning reputation system. I have proposed it before, on the basis that it would give the forum the tools needed to police itself, but nothing happened.

Lincoln's implied argument is sound: shouldn't old threads be locked? If the answer from ProZ.com is "no", then he's not breaking any rules by resurrecting old threads. If the answer from ProZ.com is "yes", well then management, how about doing something for a change?

Regards,
Dan

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Funny Feb 16, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:
Funny

... funny, that's the keyword. Oh, I forgot, to be funny and to socialize a bit here or there can be regarded as unprofessional and lead to less work.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
writeaway

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Cold cases Feb 16, 2021

I actually enjoy some of them.
I discover quite fast how old the threads are, because I often check in the corner to see when contributions were posted.

On other occasions there is no need - and it is fun to find those voices from the past, sometimes still surprisingly relevant. Of course help with Workbench and defunct versions of other software is less interesting, but it's a giveaway!

I seriously considered reviving one or two poll discussions, just to get the
... See more
I actually enjoy some of them.
I discover quite fast how old the threads are, because I often check in the corner to see when contributions were posted.

On other occasions there is no need - and it is fun to find those voices from the past, sometimes still surprisingly relevant. Of course help with Workbench and defunct versions of other software is less interesting, but it's a giveaway!

I seriously considered reviving one or two poll discussions, just to get the ball rolling again... The current one has been running for more than three weeks, and I can see I am not the only person to think of it.

[Edited at 2021-02-16 15:30 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Feb 16, 2021

Christine Andersen wrote:

I seriously considered reviving one or two poll discussions, just to get the ball rolling again..

One, two interesting ok, but dozen of obsolete thread like tourism in Argentina during a pandemic is totally another thing

Lincoln's implied argument is sound: shouldn't old threads be locked? If the answer from ProZ.com is "no", then he's not breaking any rules by resurrecting old threads.

Dan, many of them were indeed locked, but I suppose that moderators cannot follow all those funny (in the sense of strange) useless resuscitations and no it is not against the rules, it is just disturbing and confusing (some of them at least).

expressisverbis

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 14:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
On the bright side: Not promoting illegal piracy Feb 16, 2021

What difference does it make how long ago it was posted?

[Edited at 2021-02-16 15:46 GMT]

Gerard Barry
Nixie Adams, M.A.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not an approach I would advocate myself Feb 16, 2021

Angie Garbarino wrote:
Dan, many of them were indeed locked, but I suppose that moderators cannot follow all those funny (in the sense of strange) useless resuscitations and no it is not against the rules, it is just disturbing and confusing (some of them at least).

I agree, and I would prefer that it didn't happen. I would also prefer ProZ.com to make steady, incremental improvements to the forum so that this sort of thing couldn't happen.

Dan

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
My tuppence worth Feb 16, 2021

Commenting old KudoZ terms can be quite helpful. In French, the field of "modern languages" can be translated literally as "living languages". Language is about context and time is one of the great modifiers. However, bringing discussion threads back to life and particularly of the type being referred to here strikes me as a waste of time. Ho hum. Back to work.

Christine Andersen
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resuscitation of 20 years old threads is disturbing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »