Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Possible harvesting of CVs: I got a feeling.....
Thread poster: Eric CM
Eric CM
Eric CM  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 13, 2014

...that this email's gonna be a scam:

Dear Translator,

We would like to start by thanking you and the thousands of translators worldwide, who have taken the opportunity and registered with ********.COM in the past weeks, and for your patience while our platform is being developed.

It is with pleasure and pride that we now announce the launch of our new website:

www.*
... See more
...that this email's gonna be a scam:

Dear Translator,

We would like to start by thanking you and the thousands of translators worldwide, who have taken the opportunity and registered with ********.COM in the past weeks, and for your patience while our platform is being developed.

It is with pleasure and pride that we now announce the launch of our new website:

www.*********.com

Currently the website is open ONLY for translators.

The website will be fully open for customers by the end of September 2014.

Using our cutting edge, patented technology, ***********.COM is a new online marketplace, designed to expose translators to a large number of potential clients.

We urge those who have not yet taken the time to register with us, to please learn about ***********.COM and register as a translator free of charge.

Registration is fast, easy and FREE OF CHARGE!

For the thousands who already registered: we now need you to log in to your profile on ***********.com, review, edit, and complete the information for the registration process.

Login is done using your email address and password (if you forgot your password – you can retrieve it through our website).

PLEASE NOTE: since you have registered we added a few features and more information is needed for you to provide on your profile.

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS AND UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION IN ORDER TO RECEIVE OFFERS FROM US!!!

For any questions, comments or inquiries, the ***********.com support staff is available through the contact us tab on our website.

With great respects and wishes for a long, fruitful business relationship between you and ***********.COM.

The website is up and running, but.....no names, no emails, no addresses, no phones. Nothing.
No info about the agency either, except " Founded and managed by experienced professionals with years of experience and a deep understanding of the challenges in the translation world,...." blah blah blah.
If anybody wants to know the name of this "agency" let me know and I'll share it in private.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Have you registered? Sep 13, 2014

If not, then why should they thank you and 1.000+ others? - Don't you just love impersonalized emails?

If there is no contact information on a fully operational website, then you can be almost certain that the agency doesn't exist. A business brochure (CV) should only be send when there is a specific job available.

"We urge those who...." Or what?

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS AND UPDATE YO
... See more
If not, then why should they thank you and 1.000+ others? - Don't you just love impersonalized emails?

If there is no contact information on a fully operational website, then you can be almost certain that the agency doesn't exist. A business brochure (CV) should only be send when there is a specific job available.

"We urge those who...." Or what?

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT YOU COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS AND UPDATE YOUR INFORMATION IN ORDER TO RECEIVE OFFERS FROM US!!!

Since when is yelling at someone good for anything, except for a market crier?

I do hope that you have not registered there.

[Edited at 2014-09-13 07:31 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Precisely what we do not need Sep 13, 2014

This kind of business, even if this particular case is/was a legally established business, is exactly the type of commoditization of our work we do not need.

I "urge" all translators not to register with any agencies or websites claiming to have thousands of translators. Their only aim is to sell our work at the lowest possible rate.

Mariana_C

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:19
French to English
I received the same email Sep 13, 2014

The first sentence is a lie, as I didn't register with them. No need for me to read any further.

Catarina Lopes
Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...

and I don't recall registering with them.

I did send out some applications and registered to agencies' websites in August, when business was slow.

However, I'm almost sure not this one because

1) I always check BB records or other references beforehand,
2) I (try to) always keep track of agencies/clients I contact,
3) their website would immediately set off a warning bell, and
4) I just checked my Google search history and NEVER had I
... See more
and I don't recall registering with them.

I did send out some applications and registered to agencies' websites in August, when business was slow.

However, I'm almost sure not this one because

1) I always check BB records or other references beforehand,
2) I (try to) always keep track of agencies/clients I contact,
3) their website would immediately set off a warning bell, and
4) I just checked my Google search history and NEVER had I visited their website before (until now, of course).

And now, after this approach, I would not want to register with them either.

Catarina Lopes
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:19
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Same with Elizabeth and Catarina Sep 13, 2014

I received the same email, and I too, don't recall registering with them.

At first, I thought I had registered with them and forgot, but I couldn't log in due to an error in user name and password, so I gave up.

Later, I found out that they sent this email from a gmail address, and that hit me, so I just deleted the message and end of story.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...

And not in the email address I usually use either, besides not recalling having registered with them. Luckily, I found this forum thread, as I was wondering whether to register or not. It is certainly not up and running, so it might be risky registering with them.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
I received the same email too. Sep 13, 2014

And no, I don`t recall haveing registered either.

I think it is just a new website trying to 'sell' the site. I just deleted it.

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same here Sep 13, 2014

Hi all!

I was wondering where they got my email address as I didn´t register or send any CV to them. The email was sent to both my primary and secondary addresses.
I checked the website and then deleted the email.

Regards,
Marina

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi folks Sep 13, 2014

Could anybody please forward me this message with all available details, please?

Thanks you,
Natalia

Catarina Lopes
Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
... Sep 13, 2014

I'm also wondering where they got our email addresses from, as their email was sent to an e-mail account I created less than a month ago. It's possible that they are linked to some other agency that I indeed applied to.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm feeling left out now! Sep 13, 2014

Why didn't I get one?

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've been left out, too! Sep 15, 2014

I see I've received no similar emails nor any scam offers recently.

I'm feeling unloved...

I'll bet I'll get over this neglect somehow!

Irene McClure
Irene McClure
French to English
+ ...
More info ... Sep 15, 2014

I received the same email and had the same concerns about their website. I sent an email through their contact pages asking for further information. The replied with their full contact details and business registration number, which I have checked against their country's business register.

Might just be a case of a start-up company not realising that they need to provide this info up front before translators will register.

taiber
taiber
Israel
WE ARE LEGIT: ON Behalf of the ones who wrote the email Sep 15, 2014

Hello all,

My name is Isaac Taiber and i am the V.P of Business Development.

We are the company who sent the email in question here and I am here to assure you - we are completely legit!
Let me shed some light on some of the questions rightfully raised here.

We are a new start up company.
The email in question was sent using a marketing company that specializes in these kind of promotions.
In the email sent to a lot of you, as well as on o
... See more
Hello all,

My name is Isaac Taiber and i am the V.P of Business Development.

We are the company who sent the email in question here and I am here to assure you - we are completely legit!
Let me shed some light on some of the questions rightfully raised here.

We are a new start up company.
The email in question was sent using a marketing company that specializes in these kind of promotions.
In the email sent to a lot of you, as well as on our site, it states we are at the final stage of our development and are open for translator's ONLY to register before we launch our service TO ALL by the end of September 2014.

The information is not yet fully updated as the site is not fully finished and we DID state it both in the email and on our home page.

Our company is a new service, first of it's kind to the translation industry, we are mainly a search engine for translators, an online marketplace where potential clients can log in, perform searches based on their individual preferences (timeline, expertise, price etc.) and receive a list of matching translators including prices for comparison shopping.
They can choose and purchase the services of a translator for each specific job through our site.

To quiet everyone's concerns - we are, as I stated, still in development and at the moment headquartered where our development is done, which is in Israel.
In the future, as our company grows and the development settles - we are scheduled to open offices in the USA.

for any question and to learn more please visit smartlation or write me directly at:
(isaac at smartlation dot com).
I will gladly provide more answers as we are NOT a scam or fraud attempt but a real, legit company and people.

I hope to see all translators of all expertise and professional levels join us (AT NO CHARGE by the way, scammers will typically ask for funds...) and provide feedback and suggestions, get more work through our site and be an important part of the smartlation family.

Great respects to all,

Isaac Taiber,
V.P of Business Development.

[Edited at 2014-09-15 14:07 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible harvesting of CVs: I got a feeling.....

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »