Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
New Scam: Penguin Random House
Thread poster: Kevin Fulton
joycemoorem
joycemoorem
United States
What do they want? Aug 21, 2019

I also agreed to an interview with them on hangouts but cancelled minutes before after seeing this thread. Thanks!

Does anyone know what they could want? I'm not sure if I should do something or what kind of risk we have. Thanks!

GermaninTexas
GermaninTexas
United States
Local time: 14:19
English to German
+ ...
to late Sep 26, 2019

I read this here too late. But what comes out of this scam?
They are asking for your contact information and they are doing an interview with you. At the end they tell you that they will tell you in the morning if you are selected.

They also ask you what bank you are with. Luckily my bank won't give out any information without the secret password.

I will let you know what comes out of it.

Jaime Russell
Jaime Russell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam is still alive and well! Nov 28, 2019

Hi everyone,
Just a couple days ago I received probably the most updated version
Typo in the subject line, email disguised to look like it's from the company ([email protected]), using the name of a real person at the company (Paige McInery, LinkedIn confirmed profile and everything), "Paige's" email be
... See more
Hi everyone,
Just a couple days ago I received probably the most updated version
Typo in the subject line, email disguised to look like it's from the company ([email protected]), using the name of a real person at the company (Paige McInery, LinkedIn confirmed profile and everything), "Paige's" email being [email protected].

Even though it didn't pass my sniff test (the email was requesting WAY too much personal information from the get go; scammers need very little of your info nowadays to give you a huge headache), these posts from you all only confirmed my suspicion.

What caught my eye was in the email said they got my info from ATA...

I wonder if anyone has reported this to ATA??? I would think they would like to know if someone is trolling their website to get info to initiate scams...I really don't know how ATA makes members' info available. I have started some legitimate business relationships with agencies through ATA, but I'm assuming they have a company/organizational account with ATA.

Thanks everyone, the more information we share, the more we support (and protect!) each other.
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:19
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
The endgame is a variation of the classic overpayment scam Nov 29, 2019

joycemoorem wrote:

Does anyone know what they could want? I'm not sure if I should do something or what kind of risk we have. Thanks!

It's a variation on the overpayment scam. Once you accept their "job offer", they will ask you to pay for various expenses (e.g., computer equipment, materials, supposed special software) that you will supposedly need to complete the training and/or perform the job. However, these items can only be be purchased from their "preferred vendor" (actually the scammer or an associate), who only accepts payment via some untraceable and/or irreversible method (such as gift cards sent to them, WU, etc.).
The cheque sent by courier service for you to deposit and to cover these "expenses" is fake, and, like with the classic overpayment scam, the real money you send from your account, or the gift cards you mailed) are gone forever.
That is why the scammers are very insistent on knowing the instant you get the cheque and whether you have deposited it in your account (preferably electronically, in the US this means your bank lets you take a photo of the cheque and deposit it via the banking app). It's so that they can start pressuring you to send the money immediately, leaving you less time to research the scam.

HTH

[Edited at 2019-11-29 09:46 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Gina W

Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
What was the interview like? Dec 29, 2019

Elisa Stucchi wrote:

I even went through the "interview" but it all seemed so odd. The interviewer didn't even use proper English to communicate. Eventually I contacted Penguin Random House and they confirmed they never reached out to me.
I don't get it though; what are they trying to do? Have documents/books translated for free? Steal personal information?

Was it a text chat interview over Google Hangout?

Matthias Hirsh
United States
Japanese to English
End goal Dec 29, 2019

LEXpert wrote:

joycemoorem wrote:

It's a variation on the overpayment scam. Once you accept their "job offer", they will ask you to pay for various expenses (e.g., computer equipment, materials, supposed special software) that you will supposedly need to complete the training and/or perform the job. However, these items can only be be purchased from their "preferred vendor" (actually the scammer or an associate), who only accepts payment via some untraceable and/or irreversible method (such as gift cards sent to them, WU, etc.).
The cheque sent by courier service for you to deposit and to cover these "expenses" is fake, and, like with the classic overpayment scam, the real money you send from your account, or the gift cards you mailed) are gone forever.
That is why the scammers are very insistent on knowing the instant you get the cheque and whether you have deposited it in your account (preferably electronically, in the US this means your bank lets you take a photo of the cheque and deposit it via the banking app). It's so that they can start pressuring you to send the money immediately, leaving you less time to research the scam.

HTH

[Edited at 2019-11-29 09:46 GMT]

I got the impression that they would try to steal from your bank account. My scammer specifically said in the interview that all the things (including a laptop!) I'd need to do my job would be free, but asked for banking info upfront, in the first email. They wanted to "check" if my bank was "compatible" with their whatever.

Gina W

Matthias Hirsh
United States
Japanese to English
Targeting People Through the ATA Website Dec 29, 2019

Kevin Fulton wrote:

I saw reference to this on the GLD division group of the ATA.
Apparently, following the Carl Zeiss scam, someone is offering jobs through the publisher Penguin Random House. The wording is very similar, requiring an odd on-boarding procedure.
The usual warnings apply.

Interesting that they went through the German Lit. group too. They tried me an I'm in Japanese Lit. Wish the ATA would make everyone who wanted to look at the directory of translator register with a profile that could be blocked if they did stuff like this. I'm really considering not re-registering at the end of the month if being in their directory is going to make me a sitting duck.

Patricia Morin
Patricia Morin
Canada
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Pinguin Random House scam? Apr 7, 2020

Hello everyone,

I have received this email from this woman "Claudia Marques", as an answer to my application.

"Hello Patricia, Kindly follow the Instructions to get scheduled for the Interview session."

Obviously, in the link, they were telling me to connect on hangouts and bla bla bla. I had a bad experience twice about application processes on hangouts, so I decided to check further, I fell here and...Bingo!

Thank you all for sharing
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have received this email from this woman "Claudia Marques", as an answer to my application.

"Hello Patricia, Kindly follow the Instructions to get scheduled for the Interview session."

Obviously, in the link, they were telling me to connect on hangouts and bla bla bla. I had a bad experience twice about application processes on hangouts, so I decided to check further, I fell here and...Bingo!

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It really helps.
Collapse

Giovanna Chavez
Giovanna Chavez
Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
Penguin Random House SCAM is up and running during COVID19 Apr 26, 2020

I listened to "that little hunch" and checked my Translators and Interpreters ProZ Facebook Group for Penguin Random House.

Wow, unbelievable! I almost fell for it with an already scheduled interview. Its so easy to fall for it when everyone is doing everything online right now! it's so well done that I almost fell for it. I cant believe I sent them my CV!!

Anyway dear colleagues, please beware. I replied to their email and scolded them like a pissed grandma! I wish
... See more
I listened to "that little hunch" and checked my Translators and Interpreters ProZ Facebook Group for Penguin Random House.

Wow, unbelievable! I almost fell for it with an already scheduled interview. Its so easy to fall for it when everyone is doing everything online right now! it's so well done that I almost fell for it. I cant believe I sent them my CV!!

Anyway dear colleagues, please beware. I replied to their email and scolded them like a pissed grandma! I wish I could hit them in the head with my purse LOL.

Be careful, scammers don't sleep.
Collapse

jaspyluv26gm
jaspyluv26gm
United States
Penguin Random House Scam Alive and Well May 22, 2020

Got to the last portion of the process (yes i fell for the interview and sending resume), and felt a nagging the whole time. Once the check showed up I just couldn't shake the feeling so I looked up scam and found this thread. They found me on Upwork so look out!

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Barnes&Noble Press Jun 30, 2020

jaspyluv26gm wrote:

They found me on Upwork so look out!

I was contacted on Upwork for an "interview" with Barnes&Noble Press. No results when I google the name of the person from Upwork who contacted me, and nothing when I google the name of the "Material Manager". I'm not getting why I would have to interview on Telegram.org, also the whole thing just sounds strange, like something is not right.

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Removed from Upwork! Jun 30, 2020

I went on Upwork to report this "job" and found the following message:

This job has been removed from Upwork, so we are no longer able to retrieve your proposal.

So, someone else obviously beat me to it, and reported the job. Too bad that I had replied in the first place, but at least that's the end of it.

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
New round, WOCKHARDT Jul 12, 2020

Dear Applicant,

After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association-ATA, I write to present WOCKHARDT TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER job Position, We are a dedicated team, committed to achieve the highest standards. To assure our clients the best possible offer, we always use our expertise, years of experience and our international network in the best possible way. By joining our team, you can be part of this commitment., company irrespective of the curre
... See more
Dear Applicant,

After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association-ATA, I write to present WOCKHARDT TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER job Position, We are a dedicated team, committed to achieve the highest standards. To assure our clients the best possible offer, we always use our expertise, years of experience and our international network in the best possible way. By joining our team, you can be part of this commitment., company irrespective of the current business type for a TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER Position.
The information below is a briefing about our company; the job and instructions to assist you to get aboard our work team.
This is Mr Vinesh Kumar, Hiring Manager Wockhardt, If truly you’re interested; read further and follow the instructions as stated below, IF NOT please ignore this messa

Same old scam. Posted because of new name.

Stay safe,
lee
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Scam: Penguin Random House

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »