Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Studio 2011: Name cannot begin with the '"' character, hexadecimal value 0x22. Row 1, position 144
Thread poster: Holger Remke
Holger Remke
Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:36
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 6, 2014

Hi there,

I've got a problem exporting a translated sdlxliff file in Studio 2011 into its original format Word 2010 (docx).
When I try to export or save as target, I get 2 messages stating:

"Name cannot begin with the '"' character, hexadecimal value 0x22. Row 1, position 144"

I really don't have a clou where to start trying to solve this as neither on row 1 nor in row 144 there is anything troublesome in the text and even when I just copy the sourc
... See more
Hi there,

I've got a problem exporting a translated sdlxliff file in Studio 2011 into its original format Word 2010 (docx).
When I try to export or save as target, I get 2 messages stating:

"Name cannot begin with the '"' character, hexadecimal value 0x22. Row 1, position 144"

I really don't have a clou where to start trying to solve this as neither on row 1 nor in row 144 there is anything troublesome in the text and even when I just copy the source or leave these 2 segments empty, the same message does occur. I even cannot find this so called '"' character anywhere in my file.

I would be glad if anyone could help!

Thank you,
Holger
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Fix Feb 7, 2014

The standard solution to these issues is to massage the source document and try again. Open the source docx in Word, save it as rtf, then import the rtf to Trados and see if it exports correctly.

BTW the error refers to line 1, position 144, i.e. the 144th letter (character) in the first line of the sdlxliff, which is a double quote character that shouldn't be there according to Trados. You can have a look and try to fix it but diddling the source document has a better chance of wor
... See more
The standard solution to these issues is to massage the source document and try again. Open the source docx in Word, save it as rtf, then import the rtf to Trados and see if it exports correctly.

BTW the error refers to line 1, position 144, i.e. the 144th letter (character) in the first line of the sdlxliff, which is a double quote character that shouldn't be there according to Trados. You can have a look and try to fix it but diddling the source document has a better chance of working.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Addendum Feb 7, 2014

These problems occur so frequently with Studio that you should never start translating before confirming that the source file can be exported without error.
I.e. when you receive a document to be translated, import it to Studio, translate the first segment, then export it and make sure the exported file looks ok. Then you can start translating and be reasonably certain that it will export correctly at the end (if it doesn't, it's probably because you mishandled some tags during translation
... See more
These problems occur so frequently with Studio that you should never start translating before confirming that the source file can be exported without error.
I.e. when you receive a document to be translated, import it to Studio, translate the first segment, then export it and make sure the exported file looks ok. Then you can start translating and be reasonably certain that it will export correctly at the end (if it doesn't, it's probably because you mishandled some tags during translation, which can be fixed).

In your present situation, massage the source document until it can be exported, then pretranslate it with your TM and go through the file, checking whether all the segments were correctly lifted over from the TM.
Collapse

Holger Remke
Holger Remke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 10, 2014

Thank you for your help, Farkas! A change of the document format to rtf solved this issue. (However I had to rework the whole file because the tags were completely different in rtf than they were in my original translation of the docx file. )

One note: Your supposition that "the error refers to line 1, position 144, i.e. the 144th letter (character)" was not true (but how should you know...) - line 1 just contained one short word, so there was no position 144. Furthermore, the docum
... See more
Thank you for your help, Farkas! A change of the document format to rtf solved this issue. (However I had to rework the whole file because the tags were completely different in rtf than they were in my original translation of the docx file. )

One note: Your supposition that "the error refers to line 1, position 144, i.e. the 144th letter (character)" was not true (but how should you know...) - line 1 just contained one short word, so there was no position 144. Furthermore, the document did not at all contain the character '"' that was blamed for Trados' refusal to export.

But thanks to your hint I was able to finish my work!
Collapse

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
sdlxliff vs editor view Feb 10, 2014

Holger Remke wrote:

One note: Your supposition that "the error refers to line 1, position 144, i.e. the 144th letter (character)" was not true (but how should you know...) - line 1 just contained one short word, so there was no position 144. Furthermore, the document did not at all contain the character '"' that was blamed for Trados' refusal to export.

But thanks to your hint I was able to finish my work!

It is not a supposition, it is a statement of fact. That is how Studio reports sdlxliff errors. You probably just misread it. The error message and thus my comment refers to the sdlxliff file itself, not the way Studio displays the translatable content that is in it. I.e. you need to naviage to your project folder, find the target language sdlxliff and open it in a text editor such as Notepad. The first line will contain things like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><xliff xmlns:sdl="http://sdl.com/FileTypes/SdlXliff/1.0" version="1.2" sdl:version="1.0" xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:xliff:document:1.2">

The problematic part is somewhere in there, but it may not be easily fixed.

[Edited at 2014-02-10 11:28 GMT]

Jeff Chapman
Jeff Chapman  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:36
Japanese to English
+ ...
The solution worked—but I had to recopy the comments... Sep 16, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:

I realize that this thread is several months old, but thanks to FarkasAndras for the tip. This saved my butt when a "corrupted" DOCX file failed to export back to Word format. The only problem was that when exporting the source file to RTF, of course I lost all of the comments I made using Trados Studio 2014 on the DOCX version. Maybe there was a faster way, but I ended up recopying the comments and pasting them into the new RTF.

This kind of instability only reiterates in my mind why Trados as a product cannot be trusted in a pinch. If I was on an even tighter deadline than I am now, this might have made the difference between a satisfied client and an unsatisfied one. As a mission-critical piece of software, I rate Trados rather poorly in this regard, and always have, for the many years that I have had to use it.

Hila Levy
Hila Levy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Deleting comments seems to work Sep 21, 2014

This happened to me trying to convert a Studio 2014 file back to Word. I tried looking at the sdlxliff in Notepad to find the character at fault, but that did not seem to be easy. Jeff hinted at it, so I deleted all my comments within Trados (copy-pasted them elsewhere temporarily), and then re-saved my file. After doing that, the file converted with no issues!
Thank you all!

sindy cremer

emilykdawson
emilykdawson  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seconding solution of deleting comments Feb 4, 2015

Just wanted to second Hila's brilliant and simple solution. I got a similar error message when trying to convert from an sdlxliff to Word (the sdlxliff was originally a PDF). I simply deleted all comments and then successfully re-exported. Thanks, Hila!

DrMetlen
DrMetlen
Belgium
Dutch to German
+ ...
Hila's solution Apr 15, 2015

Thanks Hila, your idea worked for me as well and saved me a lot of time!

[Edited at 2015-04-15 13:31 GMT]

Miguel Ríos
Miguel Ríos
Mexico
Local time: 14:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hila Rules Apr 27, 2015

I don't know if you guys were talking about the comments on original files, but I had a similar error message when generating the target file "a name can start with '

RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
RUTH ELIZABETH BARTLETT
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:36
French to English
Thanks for saving me a lot of pain! May 20, 2015

Hila Levy wrote:

This happened to me trying to convert a Studio 2014 file back to Word. I tried looking at the sdlxliff in Notepad to find the character at fault, but that did not seem to be easy. Jeff hinted at it, so I deleted all my comments within Trados (copy-pasted them elsewhere temporarily), and then re-saved my file. After doing that, the file converted with no issues!
Thank you all!

This worked perfectly! Thank you!

Renata von Koerber
Renata von Koerber  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
The simple solution to a terrible nightmare. Sep 11, 2015

Hila- you saved hours of my life.
Thank you so much!

Henning Holthusen
Henning Holthusen  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 04:36
English to German
+ ...
I had a similar problem... Sep 15, 2015

I had a similar problem, only with the "smaller as" sign.
It turned out to be easy to fix - I deleted all comments in the SDLXLIFF and was able to save the file as normal.

[Edited at 2015-09-15 06:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-15 06:01 GMT]

Carrie Booth
Carrie Booth  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Deleting comments to resolve 'name cannot begin with character.....' error message in Trados 2014 Oct 2, 2015

Thank you Hila! This has saved me a lot of time today!

Lia Rusu
Lia Rusu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
Thank you all! Apr 19, 2016

Thanks God for ProZ and this thread!

Deleting the comments was a brilliant idea! This solved the issue with failing to export to native format. It was apparently the same probelm in SDL Tados Studio 2015 version as well.

Much obliged. You saved me!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Name cannot begin with the '"' character, hexadecimal value 0x22. Row 1, position 144

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »