Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:04
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 8, 2015

The other day I had to translate a questionnaire in Word. I opened the file as a single document (in Studio 2014), and all I saw were tags. Not only to indicate the tabel-layout, but also within the text. 1 word divided in 2, 3, 4 or more tags. Needless to say that this text was unreadable, unworkable, un...... in every sense.

Because I couldn't translate this file in Studio, I opened it in good old Trados 2007 (Workbench), and encountered no problems.

So my questions a
... See more
The other day I had to translate a questionnaire in Word. I opened the file as a single document (in Studio 2014), and all I saw were tags. Not only to indicate the tabel-layout, but also within the text. 1 word divided in 2, 3, 4 or more tags. Needless to say that this text was unreadable, unworkable, un...... in every sense.

Because I couldn't translate this file in Studio, I opened it in good old Trados 2007 (Workbench), and encountered no problems.

So my questions are:
- Why does 2007 do the job, while the much more advanced Studio didn't?
- How do I get rid of all those tags in my source file? (so I have a "workable" text)

And while we are at it, the opposite.

- How can I add tags in Studio? (sometimes there are 1 or 2 tags in the source text. In that case I always copy the source text, and translate within it, but there must be a way to add them, like in the old Tageditor, but I haven't found the right button yet).

So, 2 questions. How do I delete all the tags in a source text en how do I add tags in a target text.

If this topic has been discussed before, my excuses, couldn't find it.

[Edited at 2015-09-08 20:35 GMT]
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:04
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Font Sep 8, 2015

It often depends on the font. Some fonts have a forest of tags. Sometimes you can open the source document, select all and change the font, and most of the tags will disappear. Trados 2007 ignores the font, of course, so it's not an issue.

Tags are added, if I recall correctly, with Ctrl+comma, which opens a box with the tags that can be selected.

[Edited at 2015-09-08 21:54 GMT]

Richard Hill
Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:04
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
Three things I usually do before loading Word files to Studio, especially if they've been OCR'd Sep 9, 2015

found somewhere or other on Proz:

1) Ctrl+a then Ctrl+d and set character spacing scale to 100% and spacing to normal.
2) Check for hidden bookmarks. In Word 2007, under the insert tab.
3) Apply Codezapper, the lite feature
... See more
found somewhere or other on Proz:

1) Ctrl+a then Ctrl+d and set character spacing scale to 100% and spacing to normal.
2) Check for hidden bookmarks. In Word 2007, under the insert tab.
3) Apply Codezapper, the lite feature is usually enough (CZL) https://kb.kilgray.com/article/AA-00233/0/What-is-CodeZapper.html There's a Youtube video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj1TecgK20E

Also, for OCR'd files I often remove all bold, italic and underlined formatting then put it back manually after translation in Studio.

[Edited at 2015-09-09 03:12 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 10:04
English to Russian
Cleaning tags from Word documents Sep 9, 2015

Hello, Robert,

You should try Document Cleaner (http://www.translatortools.net/word-doccleaner.html), a free tool for preparation of badly formatted Word documents. Cleaning tags from Word documents is very easy: open the document, activate Document Cleaner, and click Clean Tags button under Tag Cleaner tab.
Document Cleaner is part of TransTools for Word add-in (
... See more
Hello, Robert,

You should try Document Cleaner (http://www.translatortools.net/word-doccleaner.html), a free tool for preparation of badly formatted Word documents. Cleaning tags from Word documents is very easy: open the document, activate Document Cleaner, and click Clean Tags button under Tag Cleaner tab.
Document Cleaner is part of TransTools for Word add-in (http://www.translatortools.net/word-about.html) which integrates in Microsoft Word and provides a number of useful translator-specific commands such as removal of excessive spaces, incorrect paragraph and line breaks, changing straight quotation marks and apostrophes to language-specific curly symbols, etc.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
TransTools – Useful tools for every translator
Collapse

Andrew Cavell
Andrew Cavell  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:04
Arabic to English
Save as plain text Aug 29, 2017

If all else fails, you can save a Word document as a plain text file. This gets rid of all pictures and formatting. All tags go!

When saving as a plain text file, Word might give a warning message that text not in the correct encoding (e.g. Arabic for me) will be lost. I changed this to unicode UTF 8 and it works fine. I think this encoding will work for most languages, though there are many other encodings to choose from.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tags, tags and more tags (help!)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »