Thread poster: Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:08
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Aug 25, 2017

I have imported my source text into SDL Trados and translated my text. Now, I'd like to export my target file regardless of the source file format. In other words, I'd like my target file to be in Word default format. How can I do so? Are there any native features or add-ons that let me do so?

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 06:08
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Probably have to copy the source into a Word document first. Aug 25, 2017

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

I have imported my source text into SDL Trados and translated my text. Now, I'd like to export my target file regardless of the source file format. In other words, I'd like my target file to be in Word default format. How can I do so? Are there any native features or add-ons that let me do so?

As far as I know, all CAt tools are geared to export in the same format as they import, except for pdf files, that is, which I believe are converted to a Word document during the import process.

So to be able to do what you want, I don't see many other ways of doing it than:

- Copying the source file over into a Word document (or have it save as a Word document if the source program allows that)
- Exporting for bilingual view, and then copy the target column over into a Word document. Convert the table to text, and then work on the format.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
External review table? Aug 25, 2017

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

You could try to create an External review table, if Studio supports this too (IIRC, it does). You'll lose the formatting, however.

_stephan
_stephan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
What's your ultimate goal? Aug 28, 2017

Hi,

I can't really add to what Roy and CafeTran have already suggested, but I'm still puzzling over two things:

a) What is your source format and
b) What exactly is it that you want to achieve, i.e. what do you want to do with the DOCX file that you cannot or do not want to do with the current format.

I'm wondering because there might be a different means to your end, e.g. an external tool to convert whatever your source format is to DOCX, or a
... See more
Hi,

I can't really add to what Roy and CafeTran have already suggested, but I'm still puzzling over two things:

b) What exactly is it that you want to achieve, i.e. what do you want to do with the DOCX file that you cannot or do not want to do with the current format.

I'm wondering because there might be a different means to your end, e.g. an external tool to convert whatever your source format is to DOCX, or another format or file viewer that's equally suitable for your particular use case.

Stephan
Collapse

Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:08
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I mean appearance by "format" Aug 28, 2017

_stephan wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering because there might be a different means to your end, e.g. an external tool to convert whatever your source format is to DOCX, or another format or file viewer that's equally suitable for your particular use case.

Stephan

It seems that my text has not been very lucid to you. By "format", I don't mean file type such as DOCX, PDF, and etc. rather I mean the form and the appearance of the file

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Saving target file Aug 28, 2017

If I have understood correctly, you just need to save your target translated file, right?

To do so, go to File - Save target as.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export target file in Microsoft Word default format

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »