Naïma P. Joyal
Naïma P. Joyal
Canada
Local time: 09:48
English to French
+ ...
Sep 6, 2017

Hello everyone,

I am new using CAT tools, and I am working with SDL Trados 2017.
I have been translating a book, using a TM created for this project.

Now, I don't know if my method is right, so please tell me if it is not. What I am doing is translating chapter by chapter. Once I finish one, I export the whole project and I review and edit the chapter in Word. My plan was to align the edited chapters, import them in the TM and batch process a pre-translation of
... See more
Hello everyone,

Now, I don't know if my method is right, so please tell me if it is not. What I am doing is translating chapter by chapter. Once I finish one, I export the whole project and I review and edit the chapter in Word. My plan was to align the edited chapters, import them in the TM and batch process a pre-translation of the segments using the updated TM.

That's what I have been doing, but 1) is see the TM is not updated with the aligned texts, even though I choose "create new translation units" in the importation settings, 2) and so, obviously, the edited segments can't be pre-translated in target column.

I was hoping to end-up with my edited chapter in Trados, and then start working on the next one, but it didn't happen.

If anyone has a clue on how I could fix the issue with the TM that doesn't update and also, if there is a better way to work by translating/editing chapter by chapter, that would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Collapse

Frank Zou
Frank Zou  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:48
Member (2016)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Sounds an easy task for Studio 2015 Sep 7, 2017

Naïma Joyal wrote:

Hello everyone,

Now, I don't know if my method is right, so please tell me if it is not. What I am doing is translating chapter by chapter. Once I finish one, I export the whole project and I review and edit the chapter in Word. My plan was to align the edited chapters, import them in the TM and batch process a pre-translation of the segments using the updated TM.

That's what I have been doing, but 1) is see the TM is not updated with the aligned texts, even though I choose "create new translation units" in the importation settings, 2) and so, obviously, the edited segments can't be pre-translated in target column.

I was hoping to end-up with my edited chapter in Trados, and then start working on the next one, but it didn't happen.

If anyone has a clue on how I could fix the issue with the TM that doesn't update and also, if there is a better way to work by translating/editing chapter by chapter, that would be very appreciated.

Regards,

If you import back the reviewed bilingual file, accept all the changes and then update your TM. It should be good to go.
This is Studio 2015 I'm talking about, I don't know if there's any difference from studio 2017

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM updates failed and translating a book on SDL

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »