Studio: can I add text in target content out of segments?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 8, 2017

I have a sentence starting with a tag (representing a screen name) which is hidden by the default "All segments" filter. In Italian, I need to start the sentence with the word "Schermata" followed by the tag. I wonder if it is ok to simply use the "All content" filter and add the initial word before the tag outside the segment.

In the figure, you can see the segment 413 preceded by the non-segment content. I am also retaining the space before the word "Schermata".

Capture_sm

Will this work? (I cannot check because it is a sdlxliff file.)

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:32
English to Spanish
It will probably work... Sep 8, 2017

but it actually depends on the segmentation. Your screenshot is missing a vital piece of information, the "Document Structure Information" column shown to the right, which can shed some light as to the actual structure of the original file, and therefore to the segmentation done by Trados. Is the lone tag within a table row (TR) a table column (TD) or a paragraph? (P)? In any of these cases, you shouldn't have any issues.

[Edited at 2017-09-08 17:53 GMT]

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, P - thanks Sep 8, 2017

Luckily both 412 and 413 are paragraphs. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio: can I add text in target content out of segments?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »