Trados French dictionnary/spellcheck leaves a lot to be desired... Is there another option?
Thread poster: Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:21
English to French
+ ...
Apr 14, 2020

Hi all,

I have installed the standard dictionnary supporting the French spellcheck function in Studio 2017, but I still need to export to MS Word to find a lot of errors which SDL doesn't pick up on (and should!). Stuff like the circonflexe missing on "Connaitre", typographic errors etc...

Is there another, better dictionnary or spell check add-on I could use?

Merci,
Marion

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Antidote? Apr 14, 2020

Antidote 10 plug-in installation on Studio 2019?

Maud Durand
Florence Bremond

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Je ne connaissais pas. C'est cher... et il n'y a pas de version démo ? Apr 14, 2020

Hans Lenting wrote:

Antidote 10 plug-in installation on Studio 2019?

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:21
English to French
Spell check settings Apr 14, 2020

Check the documentation: Help > search "spell check".
This is what I've found: File tab>Options>Editor>Spelling
If you set the active spell checker to MS Word, the Word spell checker will run in Trados and you will get the red spaghettis you would get in Word - no green spaghetti (grammar) though.

The issue with "connaître" with and without circumflex is likely due to whether the "new" spelling (1990) is accepted.
You can set Word to accept only the "old" spellin
... See more
If you set the active spell checker to MS Word, the Word spell checker will run in Trados and you will get the red spaghettis you would get in Word - no green spaghetti (grammar) though.

The issue with "connaître" with and without circumflex is likely due to whether the "new" spelling (1990) is accepted.
You can set Word to accept only the "old" spelling (connaître) in the spell check options in Word (File tab>Options>Checking).

Philippe

EDIT: you may get more response from Trados gurus using the SDL Trados forum in proz.com

[Edited at 2020-04-14 16:46 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Marion Lambert-Nuding

Marion Lambert-Nuding
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes! Apr 15, 2020

Perfect, thank you.

Antidote 10 looks good too, but I'll have to budget for that later....

Philippe Etienne wrote:

You can set Word to accept only the "old" spelling (connaître) in the spell check options in Word (File tab>Options>Checking).

Philippe

EDIT: you may get more response from Trados gurus using the SDL Trados forum in proz.com

[Edited at 2020-04-14 16:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados French dictionnary/spellcheck leaves a lot to be desired... Is there another option?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »