Jan Kruse
Jan Kruse  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:57
Dutch to German
+ ...
Aug 10, 2020

Hello,

I just installed the new (German) 2021 version and came across a possible loss.

I would like to open a new TM within a specific project.

In the frame "Start" - "project settings" (Projekteinstellungen) - "All language pairs" (Alle Sprachpaare) - "Translation Memorys and machine Translation" I would like to open a new TM.
So I go to "Use" (Verwenden...) - "Databased Translation Memory" (Datenbasiertes Translations Memory).

Here I ca
... See more
Hello,

I just installed the new (German) 2021 version and came across a possible loss.

I would like to open a new TM within a specific project.

In the frame "Start" - "project settings" (Projekteinstellungen) - "All language pairs" (Alle Sprachpaare) - "Translation Memorys and machine Translation" I would like to open a new TM.
So I go to "Use" (Verwenden...) - "Databased Translation Memory" (Datenbasiertes Translations Memory).

Here I can select only ".sdltm" files!

In the 2019 version here I could also select TMX files which were easly transformed in a ready to use TM.
Isn´t that possible anymore, or did this beautiful quick import function just moved to another place?

Thanks for your answers!
Jan

[Bearbeitet am 2020-08-10 12:27 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2020-08-10 13:31 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:57
English to Russian
Use AnyTM Aug 10, 2020

You can do this operation using the AnyTM option.
BTW did you ask this question at community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio?

[Edited at 2020-08-10 22:55 GMT]

Jan Kruse
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not here Aug 11, 2020

Thanks for your reply, Stepan!

Unfortunately, I cannot see this choice in the "anyTM" field. There, I have only the sdlmt option, as well.

I did not post it there, but I will, thanks for the hint.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Oh... Me either Aug 11, 2020

I don't have it now either. Maybe I was in 2019 when tried this... Not sure now.
Neither I see the 'Upgrade Translation Memories' feature in Welcome or Translation Memories views...

[Edited at 2020-08-11 11:21 GMT]

Jan Kruse
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unsatisfying answers by SDL Aug 11, 2020

See here:
https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/30658/sdl-studio-2021-freelance---quick-tmx-import-into-project-settings

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Well... Aug 11, 2020

If I'm honest, I never knew of that feature (importing a TM directly from tmx) before you posted this thread. And, as Paul mentioned there, I rarely used the Upgrade Translation Memories feature too. Now we still can use it as a plugin. For me, this sacrifice is worth it. The new 2021 version works markedly faster.

Jan Kruse
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hmm Aug 11, 2020

"The QuickUpgrade is lost altogether", he wrote. I used this feature very often.

And yes, the installation process was quick, but I never considered installation duration as a problem (remembering installation processes 20 years ago)

And yes, the workflow is quicker. Hopefully, I stays like that. 2019 began quick as well, and ended up slow.

[Bearbeitet am 2020-08-11 13:19 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am
... See more
"The QuickUpgrade is lost altogether", he wrote. I used this feature very often.

And yes, the installation process was quick, but I never considered installation duration as a problem (remembering installation processes 20 years ago)

And yes, the workflow is quicker. Hopefully, I stays like that. 2019 began quick as well, and ended up slow.

Collapse

Stepan Konev
Renata von Koerber

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Term recognition issue still there Aug 11, 2020

I have one term [steering gear] in two adjacent segments. One of them in segment 760 is recognized as I added it there. However the second instance of the same term in segment 761 is not recognized.

Also, when I run F7 spell check, I still have to press Resume after pressing Add.
When I press Ignore All, it's ok, it goes to next spellcheck issue. But when I press Add, all other commands turn greyed out and I have to press Resume before I can proceed. I experienced this with the 2019 version and even posted a video of that bug at the SDL community. Now I see the same issue is still there. Grrr...

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Reorganization did the trick Aug 11, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:
I have one term [steering gear] in two adjacent segments. One of them in segment 760 is recognized as I added it there. However the second instance of the same term in segment 761 is not recognized.

Ok, I admit that reorganization helped me resolve the term recognition issue. But I reorganized it just a week ago. So, should I reorganize it every week now?

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
First crash Aug 11, 2020

As per title, Studio 2021 crashed at exactly 17.18 local time (France)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Studio 2021 Freelance - Quick TMX import into project settings

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »