Thread poster: Ozan TEKLİ
Ozan TEKLİ
Ozan TEKLİ
United States
Local time: 07:56
English to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 22, 2020

I am trying to organize a translation memory. For example, when i wrote x in english, it translates it into the other language as y, that i needed. My problem is to use it to backwards actually. I need it to translate it into English as x when i wrote y. Both sided Translation Memory. I hope i made myself clear.

Thank you.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 11:56
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't think it is possible, but... Aug 22, 2020

Ozan TEKLİ wrote:

I am trying to organize a translation memory. For example, when i wrote x in english, it translates it into the other language as y, that i needed. My problem is to use it to backwards actually. I need it to translate it into English as x when i wrote y. Both sided Translation Memory. I hope i made myself clear.

Thank you.

I'm not quite sure if I understood you right.
In a translation project where the source language is German, for example, and you need that project translated into French, English, and Spanish, you have to create a separate set of translation memories for each target language of the project (DE-FR; DE-EN, DE-ES).
I think having only one TM to help you in translation and backtranslation is not possible in SDL Trados Studio (I am not aware of it), but wait for other views, please.

[Edited at 2020-08-22 20:05 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:56
English to Russian
AnyTM Aug 22, 2020

This is rather a workaround than a solution, but you can use the AnyTM feature (Project Settings > All lang pairs > TM and AT > Use > Any file-based TM). It creates a reverse TM from your selected TM, and if you check the Update option for it, this reverse TM will be updated accordingly. Unfortunately, Trados cannot avoid clogging your hard drive with additional reverse TM and cannot just read the same TM in both directions the way memoQ and Memsourse do. Despite many requests, SDL say their pro... See more
This is rather a workaround than a solution, but you can use the AnyTM feature (Project Settings > All lang pairs > TM and AT > Use > Any file-based TM). It creates a reverse TM from your selected TM, and if you check the Update option for it, this reverse TM will be updated accordingly. Unfortunately, Trados cannot avoid clogging your hard drive with additional reverse TM and cannot just read the same TM in both directions the way memoQ and Memsourse do. Despite many requests, SDL say their product uses some unique technology that prevents them from meeting this request.

[Edited at 2020-08-23 13:27 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
Elena Feriani

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 11:56
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course! Aug 23, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

This is rather a workaround than a solution, but you can use the AnyTM feature (Project Settings > All lang pairs > TM and AT > Use > Any file-based TM). It creates a reverse TM from your selected TM, and if you check the Update option for it, this reverse TM will be updated accordingly. Unfortunately, Trados cannot avoid clogging your hard drive with additional reverse TM and cannot just read the same TM in both directions the way memoQ and Memsourse do. Despite many requests, SDL say their product uses some unique technology that prevents them from meeting this request.

[Edited at 2020-08-23 13:27 GMT]

Completely forgot the AnyTM feature!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using one translation memory for both languages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »