Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
SDL Trados 8 (2007) cannot reorganise TM, database corrupted, Workbench gets stuck while exporting.
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:16
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 7, 2007

Dear all

I have sent a request for help about this issue to SDL support, but the answer is not satisfactory.

After importing a small txt TM that I made using WinAlign my largest and most important TM cannot be exported or reorganised anymore. Both processes stop at segment 2800.

The trouble is that Workbench OVERWRITES the backup TM while exporting, so I now may have lost BOTH my regular TM AND the backup txt. The only other backup I have is several months
... See more
Dear all

I have sent a request for help about this issue to SDL support, but the answer is not satisfactory.

After importing a small txt TM that I made using WinAlign my largest and most important TM cannot be exported or reorganised anymore. Both processes stop at segment 2800.

The trouble is that Workbench OVERWRITES the backup TM while exporting, so I now may have lost BOTH my regular TM AND the backup txt. The only other backup I have is several months old.

SDL support tells me to try to remove the corrupt entry with the help of the Maintenance option in Workbench, but I see no possibility of finding a segment on the basis of its number.

Does anyone know how to access the entries and remove one entry manually on the basis of its number or otherwise?

Also SDL support asked me if I have any other backups.

This gets me somewhat upset. Was I not told that if I would start using Trados I would not have to translate the same sentence twice? Doesn't that imply that I can trust the program to be so designed as to avoid total data loss when one entry is corrupted? Can it not be expected that a 'professional' program, as Trados is boasted to be, would prevent this sort of thing from happening or at least would make it in some way 'repairable'?

On top of it all, from what I hear, TM's USED TO BE EDITABLE, but are not so anymore. In later versions of Trados this seems to have been changed. Where the **** is the improvement in that? What's the point of not-asked-for gimmicks like Synergy if the basic functions of Trados aren't working reliably?

If this problem turns out to be unsolvable and my TM will be lost I am in a good mood to sue SDL. The marketing promises do not hold true, I feel a victim of fraudulent misrepresentation. Please let me know if you feel similarly or if I am being unreasonable.

Best regards, Marinus
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 01:16
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Salami technique .... Aug 7, 2007

Make a backup first (sg).

Then start looking for the faulty segment using maintainance and export function with a date (I'll keep my fingers crossed). Either the date you use to export is too óld or too recent - this is at least the way to isolate the culprit.

Then. maybe (I say maybe) deleting segments beetween "before" and "after" will get it back.

And then - make a backup again.

Full disclosure: I have never been in s*t this deep but I used
... See more
Make a backup first (sg).

Then start looking for the faulty segment using maintainance and export function with a date (I'll keep my fingers crossed). Either the date you use to export is too óld or too recent - this is at least the way to isolate the culprit.

Then. maybe (I say maybe) deleting segments beetween "before" and "after" will get it back.

And then - make a backup again.

Full disclosure: I have never been in s*t this deep but I used this method in some cases - not with a corrupted TM, however -.
Collapse

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 20:16
English to Portuguese
Perhaps the problem is within Workbench... Aug 7, 2007

Hello

I understood that you are not able to export the memory anymore, so the "Salami" method mentioned by Vito cannot be used. Anyway, it seems pretty strange that the memory is so messed up that you cannot export it. I have had many faulty tags, indices, whatever, and I have been always able to export those segments, along with their faults... This makes me think that perhaps Workbench is not working OK.
I would do that:
First, get the faulty memory (all files, tmw, m
... See more
Hello

I understood that you are not able to export the memory anymore, so the "Salami" method mentioned by Vito cannot be used. Anyway, it seems pretty strange that the memory is so messed up that you cannot export it. I have had many faulty tags, indices, whatever, and I have been always able to export those segments, along with their faults... This makes me think that perhaps Workbench is not working OK.
I would do that:
First, get the faulty memory (all files, tmw, mwf, etc.) and copy it to another computer with Trados in it. DO NOT FORGET to return the licence first, so you can install it and activate in the new computer. If you are able to open the full memory in the new PC the problem is solved: you have a bad installation of Trados in the original computer, uninstall Trados completely, remove all Trados "temps" (references, personalized files etc.), and install it again. Then apply the "Salami" method on the segments.
Otherwise, bad luck: get the old memory, all bilingual files you have archived after it, clean them up with the "keep most recent" option.

Regards, Edric

[Edited at 2007-08-07 14:38]
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Did you try copying just the .tmw? Aug 7, 2007

Sometimes the following method works. Create a brand-new TM with the same name as the current TM in a different folder and copy just the .tmw file to the new folder. Then try opening the copied TM from the new folder. If you're lucky, TWB will re-create the index files and you can try re-organizing and exporting the TM.

Does anyone know how to access the entries and remove one entry manually on the basis of its number or otherwise?

It's possible to search for specific segments using the Trados API TranslationMemory.Search function but as far as I know, it's not possible to access TUs by number, because the TU number is not exposed to the API.

Olaf

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Search by date? Aug 7, 2007

Assuming you did the import yesterday, you could try searching for and displaying all Translation Units created after a certain date, say 6 August 2007.
1 Select Maintenance from the File menu.
2 Click on Filter to open the Filter dialog box.
3 In the Field list, click on the Created on system field then Add to add it to the Filter
4 In the Criterion box, enter > 06/08/07.
5 Click on OK to return to the TM Maintenance dialog box. You can then click on Begin Search t
... See more
Assuming you did the import yesterday, you could try searching for and displaying all Translation Units created after a certain date, say 6 August 2007.
1 Select Maintenance from the File menu.
2 Click on Filter to open the Filter dialog box.
3 In the Field list, click on the Created on system field then Add to add it to the Filter
4 In the Criterion box, enter > 06/08/07.
5 Click on OK to return to the TM Maintenance dialog box. You can then click on Begin Search to browse through the matching translation units and delete them as necessary.

Try this on a copy of your TM of course.
I don't understand why the export overwrote the old backup (unless you used the same name of course).

HTH,
David Turner
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but no Maintenance possible anymore, either. Aug 7, 2007

Good suggestions, though I did think about that myself already. If I try filtering the entries with the Maintenance option Workbench says:

(50052): Inconsistent data. Please reorganise the database or run an export/import.

As I said before, reorganising does not work and neither does export/import.

I sent the TM to SDL support, hopefully they can still sort it out.

To all the wise guys who imply I should backup more, I say: would it have been s
... See more
Good suggestions, though I did think about that myself already. If I try filtering the entries with the Maintenance option Workbench says:

(50052): Inconsistent data. Please reorganise the database or run an export/import.

I sent the TM to SDL support, hopefully they can still sort it out.

To all the wise guys who imply I should backup more, I say: would it have been so hard to implement a backup system in Workbench? Or a decent repair function? Why does the user, who isn't always necessarily a geek, have to think and arrange for these things? I consider Trados absolutely to be half-baked amateur stuff for these reasons and more.

Thanks for your help nevertheless. Just a bit frustrated.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Recreating database doesn't work. Aug 7, 2007

Tried it, but same error message at segment 2800:

(50052): Inconsistent data...

Thanks all the same!

Olaf wrote:

Sometimes the following method works. Create a brand-new TM with the same name as the current TM in a different folder and copy just the .tmw file to the new folder. Then try opening the copied TM from the new folder. If you're lucky, TWB will re-create the index files and you can try re-organizing and exporting the TM.

It's possible to search for specific segments using the Trados API TranslationMemory.Search function but as far as I know, it's not possible to access TUs by number, because the TU number is not exposed to the API.

Olaf

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
But TMs are still editable Aug 7, 2007

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

On top of it all, from what I hear, TM's USED TO BE EDITABLE, but are not so anymore. In later versions of Trados this seems to have been changed.

Hi Marinus,

Seems like your installation is faulty, because it certainly remains possible to edit the TUs in the maintenance menu.

In my opinion, you should firstly uninstall and reinstall Trados, and then see what you can do from there.

Astrid

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
From SDL support Aug 7, 2007

I found this on the SDL support site:
http://www.sdl.com/trados-support-view.htm?carrenza=1&cntID=861
It relates to a TM being corrupted by a system crash, which is not your case but it might be worth a try perhaps?
Regards,
David Turner

If the memory cannot be opened, and no emergency export is possible:

... See more
It relates to a TM being corrupted by a system crash, which is not your case but it might be worth a try perhaps?
Regards,
David Turner

If the memory cannot be opened, and no emergency export is possible:

1. Create a new translation memory with the same setup as the corrupted one and with the same name, in a different folder.
2. Exit Translator's Workbench.
3. Use Windows Explorer to copy the *.mdf, *.mtf, *.mwf and *.iix from the new translation memory into the directory where the old translation memory is stored. This overwrites the corresponding files of the old translation memory.
4. Start Translator's Workbench. You should now be able to open the old translation memory.
5. Reorganise the translation memory. You should now be able to use it again.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:16
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same here Aug 7, 2007

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Dear all
... my largest and most important TM cannot be exported or reorganised anymore. Both processes stop at segment 2800.

SDL support tells me to try to remove the corrupt entry with the help of the Maintenance option in Workbench, but I see no possibility of finding a segment on the basis of its number.

Best regards, Marinus

My problem is the same. I use Trados 7.1, Freelance.

I have been using Trados for years, I have about 100.000 units in my memory, and I usually reorganize it. I even export it as at TXT for backup. But I haven't done so for a month.

On Monday, it started to show problems, and closed without warning (In fact, it gave me an error message, I don't remember it, it was so fast.)

Last reorganization: 6 Aug 2007
Growth since last reorganization: -148 (minus ??)

So, I decided to reorganize, and the process stops at 36250 segments and grinds and grinds and does nothing.

I close TW, reopen and export. I get message: (50050)
Source segment is empty! The exported TXT file is shorther than the previous TM txt.

I open TW again, and try the maintenance function to see if I can find the empty segment! Again, the process stops at segment 32250!

It is NOT MY FAULT. I'm not the only one with this problem. It has also been described at TW groups at Yahoo, without solution. Iwish I could find one.

Regards

Clarisa

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Olaf's tip reversed? Aug 7, 2007

Thanks David, but it doesn't work.

Actually, what happens is what Clarisa described: the reorganising process doesn't precisely stop, it just gets stuck at a certain point. I still says 'Analyzing' in the below left corner, but at the same time all functions in the menus are accessible.

It's more like Workbench gets stuck and forgets what it was doing. If I open the Windows Task Manager it shows 0% CPU activity for TW4Win.exe, wmiprvse.exe and FNPLicensingService.exe,
... See more
Thanks David, but it doesn't work.

Actually, what happens is what Clarisa described: the reorganising process doesn't precisely stop, it just gets stuck at a certain point. I still says 'Analyzing' in the below left corner, but at the same time all functions in the menus are accessible.

It's more like Workbench gets stuck and forgets what it was doing. If I open the Windows Task Manager it shows 0% CPU activity for TW4Win.exe, wmiprvse.exe and FNPLicensingService.exe, which are the three processes that start when I open the Workbench.

@ Astrid Elke: I have not reinstalled Trados yet, only registered it again locally. The problem only pops up with this TM, not with others, so it's unlikely to be the Trados installation. 'Install Trados again' is advice from people who really don't know what they're talking about, similar to 'Install Windows again' when there's a problem with it. If you have no sensible answer, you don't HAVE to reply, you know?

I am very much encouraged by Clarisa's comment and feel confirmed that we have dicovered a serious flaw in the Trados programming. If SDL cannot repair my TM, they will not have heard the last of it.

@ Clarisa: where can I find this thread in Yahoo? Would appreciate reply.

Best regards!

David Turner wrote:

Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:16
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Source segment is empty! Aug 7, 2007

That's the name of the thread.

The thread poster is Pimpi:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/messages/40701?viscount=100

Regards

Clarisa

Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Remove all segments from last imported winaligned doc Aug 8, 2007

Hi Marinus,

This is what I would do:

If it has to do with your last winaligned document (sometimes documents have stuff hidden that Trados does not like) as your are assuming, you could find the segments through the F3 concordance function and remove them manually. This is a bit of work, but might work...

Marinus Vesseur
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM corrupted. SDL support helpless. Aug 8, 2007

Quite unbelievable, but true: SDL Trados just wrote me that the TM cannot be reorganised or exported even by them.

Thanks Martin, but it looks like this TM might be lost, at least the last 2 months of it that I have no backup of.

Warning to all: backup your TM's regularly, Trados does not protect against database corruption and Support is unable to help.

David Turner
French to English
+ ...
Export before problem date? Aug 8, 2007

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Is it all possible to do an export filtering on the date you imported the WinAlign file, i.e. export everything BEFORE this date?

David

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 8 (2007) cannot reorganise TM, database corrupted, Workbench gets stuck while exporting.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »