¿Cómo conseguir que te paguen en España? .. y otros problemas
Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:56
Spanish to English
Jan 20, 2002

Primero, perdonad si esto es muy largo, pero me gustaría saber vuestra opinión sobre algunas cosas.

La historia de los problemas empezó así: llevaba trabajando alrededor de un año para una empresa internacional, sin embargo, no muy conocida, ubicada en Madrid. El volumen del trabajo no era muy grande, facturas de entre 15.000 y 30.000 pesetas (90 y 180 euros) al mes, pero con una tarifa buena, así que era para mí un poco de dinero extra. Solían pagar dentro de mi (ge
... See more
Primero, perdonad si esto es muy largo, pero me gustaría saber vuestra opinión sobre algunas cosas.

La historia de los problemas empezó así: llevaba trabajando alrededor de un año para una empresa internacional, sin embargo, no muy conocida, ubicada en Madrid. El volumen del trabajo no era muy grande, facturas de entre 15.000 y 30.000 pesetas (90 y 180 euros) al mes, pero con una tarifa buena, así que era para mí un poco de dinero extra. Solían pagar dentro de mi (generoso) plazo de tres meses, y cuando no lo hacían, un simple aviso por carta o e-mail solía funcionar.

De repente, a partir de marzo del 2001, el volumen sube. Ya no son cantidades tan pequeñas, y los avisos ya no funcionan. Ya me debían en total unas 300.000 pesetas (1.800 euros), seguían mandando traducciones, pero el departamento de contabilidad no decía ni mu. Así que les dije que no iba a hacer más traducciones hasta que se aclarase esta situación, añadiendo que era “mi política no trabajar para empresas y/o agencias que no pagan dentro del plazo de tres meses, a no ser, sin embargo, que me den al menos una explicación razonable, que no ha sido dada en este caso.” Porque lo que más me ha molestado de esta empresa es que nunca daban ni explicaciones, ni disculpas, ni nada.

Obviamente eso no les gustó para nada. No me mandaron nunca más trabajo, y han tardado 6 meses en liquidar todas las facturas. Dinero que durante los últimos cuatro meses del 2001, pensaba que no iba a recibir jamás, ya que no contestaron nunca a mis e-mails y llamadas hasta el último e-mail hace unos días; y parece que esta frase es la que finalmente ha dado resultado: “Comprenderá que esto para mí es una cantidad importante, sobre todo porque ya he tenido que soportar el IVA incluido en estas facturas, por lo que haber trabajado para ustedes me cuesta dinero.”

Os cuento esto, porque obviamente durante la larga espera estaba investigando qué se podía hacer. Varios amigos y conocidos han sugerido lo siguiente, y me gustaría saber vuestros comentarios/experiencias, etc.

1. Mandar un burofax.

2. Mandar un requerimiento legal.

3. Mandar una carta/e-mail cada semana.

4. Llamar muchas veces la semana (eso no funcionó).

5. Olvidarlo. Si no te quieren pagar en España, no hay nada que puedas hacer.

6. Poner una demanda. Pero te va a costar más de lo que te deben, tardará años, y puede que incluso no ganes. Así que no vale la pena.

7. Poner la demanda tú, sin los servicios de un abogado (creo que esto se llamaba “monitorio”, pero me parecía muy complicado).

8. Visitarles en persona (pero no vivo en la misma ciudad).

9. Utilizar los servicios de un cobrador de frac.

Otra cosa: si nunca te pagan, ¿hay una manera de recuperar el IVA pagado?

Gracias,

Nikki
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
Very interesting subject Jan 20, 2002

Hi Nikki

Sorry to hear about your troubles. SO FAR I have not had problems, except with a slow payer (who always manages to delay months the larger payments).

My attitude is taht some day it will happen. So I have decided never to do jobs over 100,o00 ptas without some money against partial delivery.

What annoys me intensely is all the time wasted on duplication and triplication of effort - e.g in one situation I have had to send the
... See more
Hi Nikki

Sorry to hear about your troubles. SO FAR I have not had problems, except with a slow payer (who always manages to delay months the larger payments).

My attitude is taht some day it will happen. So I have decided never to do jobs over 100,o00 ptas without some money against partial delivery.

What annoys me intensely is all the time wasted on duplication and triplication of effort - e.g in one situation I have had to send the bill 3 times, they lost it, a faxed copy wouldn\'t do etc, Then they say send it by express post 500ptas a time!!! But really it\'s the time wasting - on a general level in Spqain - that drives me bananas. And the fact is that really, a client that costs so much in time, in delayed payments, and in terms of one\'s mental health - is it really worth the trouble???

The one way I can survive as a translator in Spain is to teach pt so I have a regular even if small income,this alo has the advantage that I can be selective about clients chossing good payers (in all senses of the word).

Technically you could follow up legally, but here\'s another area where you have to consider - do you really have the time?

I think it\'s a question of prevention better than cure, decide what level of non-payment you could handle and apply this as a threshold (over this amount, money against partial completion).

My other solution would be bombard them with enquiries, although obviously these could be just ignored (maybe handcuff yourself to their front door?!).

I am interested in teh VAT question myself.

Ailish

Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
letter from a lawyer Jan 20, 2002

Hi Nikki,

I had a situation about 18 mos. ago with a translation agency that owed me around 115,000 ptas. for a job I had done for them. It was an agency I hadn\'t previously worked for, and I had accepted the job because the woman said she had been referred by an acquaintance of mine, another translator (I later found out that she had never worked for them herself and had given them my name because she was already busy with a job). I had been told payment would be in appr
... See more
Hi Nikki,

I had a situation about 18 mos. ago with a translation agency that owed me around 115,000 ptas. for a job I had done for them. It was an agency I hadn\'t previously worked for, and I had accepted the job because the woman said she had been referred by an acquaintance of mine, another translator (I later found out that she had never worked for them herself and had given them my name because she was already busy with a job). I had been told payment would be in approximately 45 days. Well, 45 days came and went. I sent an e-mail and received no response, so called a couple days later, and was told that payment would be a bit delayed because she had a temporary cash flow problem and was waiting for payment from a few clients. I called and e-mailed several times over the next few weeks. At first I just got the same story, and then finally she stopped taking my calls and the secretary would tell me that she wasn\'t in. After about 3 months, I mentioned this to friends of mine who have an asesoría, and they offered to send a letter, signed by a lawyer, requesting payment within one week, and saying that further action would be taken if that did not occur. The very day the letter arrived, the lawyer received an extremely irate call from the woman at the agency, saying that she had NEVER received a \"threatening letter\" from a lawyer in her life (basically, how dare we! who did we think we were!) and that of course she was planning to pay. (Of course, right.) She told the lawyer that since she had a week, I could wait the full week, but on the 7th day I was to show up at her office to get paid. I did, and she counted out the entire amount in cash, mostly in small bills. (Hmmm.....)

I later found out that another translator I know had a similar experience with this woman, and finally went to her office after 4 months or so and demanded payment (and got it too... a much smaller amount, though).

For what it\'s worth....

Cindy
Collapse

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Billing in Spain Jan 20, 2002

Hello Ailish and the rest.

I am not surprised to hear that you all are experiencing the same things as translators in Spain. We all know what it´s like here and you take it or leave it, I guess. I agree that you should cover your buttski in this country. I have never been stiffed in Spain, yet, but I know the day will come. You have to try to cut your losses when that time comes. Even a signed contract in the end really isn´t going to protect you. The best way is for
... See more
Hello Ailish and the rest.

I am not surprised to hear that you all are experiencing the same things as translators in Spain. We all know what it´s like here and you take it or leave it, I guess. I agree that you should cover your buttski in this country. I have never been stiffed in Spain, yet, but I know the day will come. You have to try to cut your losses when that time comes. Even a signed contract in the end really isn´t going to protect you. The best way is for your customer not to get too much into debt to you. If it is a big job you should collect in installments or some plan like that. 100,000 pts isn´t a bad number for where to set your customer´s credit limit.

I have a regular customer who paid me on the spot for the first translation, something I often do. However, over the course of a year he has gotten slower and slower. Last time he gave me an IOU (pagare)which was dated almost 6 months after the work was done. That was after I started to tactfully bother him when it was getting to be 3 months. I´m still doing his work and now he owes me 70,000 pts 3 months after the last work. He gave me an excuse to pay some in a week and the rest in a month.

This for me is a typical Spanish customer. They make me nervous but I will fight if he or whoever else does not pay what is owed. I wish these folks would learn better business sense. Professional trust and image is of the essence when dealing with both suppliers and customers. Anyone have any other stories from Spain?
Collapse

BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
Spanish to English
+ ...
No es solo en España Jan 20, 2002

Antes que nada, lamento esta situación por la que atraviesas. Quizás te sirva de consuelo saber que no es solo en España sino que es una tendencia yo diría que global. Lo que más me irrita de esta práctica es que si no pagan, como dices, tus opciones para forzarlos a que lo hagan son nulas o demasiado costosas. Personalmente he escuchado un centenar de excusas para no pagar, desde que su cliente no les pagó (a lo cual me digo...el acuerdo no fue entre su cliente y yo y me importa un pito ... See more
Antes que nada, lamento esta situación por la que atraviesas. Quizás te sirva de consuelo saber que no es solo en España sino que es una tendencia yo diría que global. Lo que más me irrita de esta práctica es que si no pagan, como dices, tus opciones para forzarlos a que lo hagan son nulas o demasiado costosas. Personalmente he escuchado un centenar de excusas para no pagar, desde que su cliente no les pagó (a lo cual me digo...el acuerdo no fue entre su cliente y yo y me importa un pito si les pagaron o no) hasta que no están satisfechos con la traducción (pero no veo que nadie la devuelva...).

Yo he adoptado una medida que tiene sus ventajas y desventajas. Les pido el 50% por adelantado como \"retainer fee\" y el balance al entregar el trabajo. Ustedes dirán WOW...pero así trabajo y si no les gusta que vayan a otro lugar, yo he hecho el papel de ingenua demasiadas veces. Cuando se quejan les explico que desafortunadamente muchas veces me han dejado con la traducción hecha y me han dicho \"gracias, ya no la necesitamos\" y ¿quién me paga los trabajos que no acepté por hacer el de ellos? Esto lo hago con TODO el mundo, inclusive amigos personales que a veces resultan los peores. Aparte de que les pido el 50% les mando una carta que es en realidad un contrato especificando las condiciones. Tienen que firmarla y devolverla antes de que yo comience el trabajo, también hablo con la persona que ha firmado la carta, investigo quién es y cual es su cargo en la empresa.

Tengo clientes que sí tienen términos de pago de 30 días, pero esos se lo merecen. Los clientes nuevos tienen que establecer una relación de confianza primero antes de que yo cambie sus términos.

Si el cliente es serio aceptará estas condiciones, ¿por qué? porque se dará cuenta de que eres una persona que toma su trabajo en serio, un profesional y PORQUE ASÍ TRABAJAN TODAS LAS EMPRESAS DE SERVICIOS. Cuando uno lleva el auto al mecánico ¿nos permiten sacarlo sin pagar la cuenta? NO. Cuando vamos al médico ¿no nos cobran al salir del consultorio? ¿Y qué tal los abogados?¿Entonces por qué nosotros vamos a prestar un servicio y que nos paguen 30 días después exponiéndonos a que no lo hagan del todo?

Hay un juez en los Estados Unidos que castiga a los culpables haciendo que se paren en una esquina con un letrero anunciando su crimen. \"Yo me robé tanto de una tienda\"...\"Yo defraudé a fulano de tal...\" Quizás si publicáramos los nombres de estos aprovechados lo pensarían mejor antes de ocurrírseles no pagar por un servicio prestado.

¡Suerte!

Belkis

Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:56
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Belkis, ¡ Me impresionas ! Jan 20, 2002

¡Vaya, niña ! A ti te voy a tener que pedir clases cuando empiece a conseguir trabajo.

¡Bravo!

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Creo que las cosas no son tan negras como parecen... Jan 20, 2002

Hola Nikki,

Lamentablemente, no tengo información de cómo son las cosas en España, pero tengo la impresión de que si una agencia demora tanto tiempo en pagar, es porque tienen intenciones de no pagarte y \"get away with it\".

Mira, tengo una anécdota que tal vez te sirva. Una traductora australiana hizo una traducción importante para una agencia en Ale
... See more
Hola Nikki,

Lamentablemente, no tengo información de cómo son las cosas en España, pero tengo la impresión de que si una agencia demora tanto tiempo en pagar, es porque tienen intenciones de no pagarte y \"get away with it\".

Mira, tengo una anécdota que tal vez te sirva. Una traductora australiana hizo una traducción importante para una agencia en Alemania. Luego de seis meses de intentos, decidió contratar un abogado en Alemania. Lo hizo desde Australia y sin moverse de su casa, todo por internet. ¿Resultado? La agencia pagó lo adeudado y también cargó con los honorarios del abogado.

Colorín colorado, ...

Sería bueno estar preparados para estas situaciones.

Saludos,

Bertha

PD: Acá en Estados Unidos existe lo que se llama \"small claims\". Te presentas en la corte, y pues te tienen que pagar!
Collapse

Fernando Galv�n (X)
Fernando Galv�n (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
El dichosos IVA... Jan 20, 2002

tengo entendido que en el caso de un impago, puedes reclamar a hacienda el IVA que has tenido que liquidar por anticipado, pero no estoy seguro de cómo se hace, mañana te lo confirmo.

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
dificultad para cobrar Jan 21, 2002

Estimada colega:

Por mi experiencia, te recomiendo exigir siempre el 50% del importe, por adelantado. Así disuades a los clientes \'liantes\'.

En el caso de clientes suizos, éstos suelen pagar el 100% al solicitar tus servicios para traducir textos. Te recomiendo dichos clientes, por supuesto.

Zonum
Zonum
Spain
Spanish to Catalan
+ ...
Pregunta Jan 21, 2002

¿Por qué se debe devolver un IVA que todavía no se ha cobrado? No le encuentro el sentido. ¿Qué ocurriría si no lo declararas hasta que lo cobraras? Sería lo más lógico.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
IVA Jan 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-21 19:18, Zonum wrote:

¿Por qué se debe devolver un IVA que todavía no se ha cobrado? No le encuentro el sentido. ¿Qué ocurriría si no lo declararas hasta que lo cobraras? Sería lo más lógico.

Sería más lógico para nosotros, pero creo que no es legal. El IVA hay que pagarlo cada tres meses, lo que has facturado, no lo que has cobrado del cliente ¿no?

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
non-payment threshold Jan 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-20 15:16, Ailish wrote:

I think it\'s a question of prevention better than cure, decide what level of non-payment you could handle and apply this as a threshold (over this amount, money against partial completion).

Totally agree, Ailish. I stopped translating for them when it had already gone over my threshold.

Another idea would have been to make the payment period shorter. O... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-20 15:16, Ailish wrote:

Totally agree, Ailish. I stopped translating for them when it had already gone over my threshold.

Another idea would have been to make the payment period shorter. Obviously, one month would be ideal. But there are very few companies/agencies in Spain that pay within 30 days in my experience. At least that way, you can start crying for your money earlier and not run up such a large debt. ▲ Collapse

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
50% por adelantado Jan 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-20 17:37, BelkisDV wrote:

Yo he adoptado una medida que tiene sus ventajas y desventajas. Les pido el 50% por adelantado como \"retainer fee\" y el balance al entregar el trabajo.

Aparte de que les pido el 50% les mando una carta que es en realidad un contrato especificando las condiciones. Tienen que firmarla y devolverla antes de que yo comience el trabajo, también hablo con la persona que ha firmado... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-20 17:37, BelkisDV wrote:

Yo he adoptado una medida que tiene sus ventajas y desventajas. Les pido el 50% por adelantado como \"retainer fee\" y el balance al entregar el trabajo.

Aparte de que les pido el 50% les mando una carta que es en realidad un contrato especificando las condiciones. Tienen que firmarla y devolverla antes de que yo comience el trabajo, también hablo con la persona que ha firmado la carta, investigo quién es y cual es su cargo en la empresa.

Hola Belkis,

obviamente esto está muy bien si es un proyecto grande. Pero en este caso eran informes de unas 1.000 palabras con plazos de menos de 24 horas. Y se suponía que si había confianza después de haber trabajado para ellos más de un año.

No sé si ha quedado claro, pero en este caso me han pagado todo (muy tarde). He abierto esta discusión para estar más preparada la próxima vez y para intercambiar experiencias. ▲ Collapse

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
requerimiento legal / small claims court Jan 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-01-20 16:25, luisafern wrote:

After about 3 months, I mentioned this to friends of mine who have an asesoría, and they offered to send a letter, signed by a lawyer, requesting payment within one week, and saying that further action would be taken if that did not occur. The very day the letter arrived, the lawyer received an extremely irate call from the woman at the agency, saying that she had NEVER received a \"th... See more
Quote:

On 2002-01-20 16:25, luisafern wrote:

After about 3 months, I mentioned this to friends of mine who have an asesoría, and they offered to send a letter, signed by a lawyer, requesting payment within one week, and saying that further action would be taken if that did not occur. The very day the letter arrived, the lawyer received an extremely irate call from the woman at the agency, saying that she had NEVER received a \"threatening letter\" from a lawyer in her life (basically, how dare we! who did we think we were!) and that of course she was planning to pay. (Of course, right.) She told the lawyer that since she had a week, I could wait the full week, but on the 7th day I was to show up at her office to get paid. I did, and she counted out the entire amount in cash, mostly in small bills. (Hmmm.....)

Cindy

Hi Cindy, the legal letter sounds like the \"requerimiento legal\" that was described to me. However, if it hadn\'t worked, would your friends have helped you to take legal action?

I get the impression that for small amounts the lawyer\'s fees are just way too high, unless some friend does it for you for nothing. Because there isn\'t such a thing in Spain as a \"small claims court\". Does anyone know if this is going to change? ▲ Collapse

Martin Perazzo
Martin Perazzo  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make sure you get a signed agreement Jan 27, 2002

Hi Nikki,

Fortunately this has happened to me only once in 18 years, and the amount was relatively minor (less than 30,000 pesetas). But I\'ve heard my share of horror stories and there\'s one thing I always do for prevention\'s sake when a new customer contacts me, or if there\'s a chance there might be a rush rate or any other unforeseen circumstance the customer might not readily agree to (e.g. late delivery due to the original text being far more technical or complicated than origi
... See more
Hi Nikki,

Fortunately this has happened to me only once in 18 years, and the amount was relatively minor (less than 30,000 pesetas). But I\'ve heard my share of horror stories and there\'s one thing I always do for prevention\'s sake when a new customer contacts me, or if there\'s a chance there might be a rush rate or any other unforeseen circumstance the customer might not readily agree to (e.g. late delivery due to the original text being far more technical or complicated than originally expected, etc.), namely, get the customer to sign a \"presupuesto\" before starting work agreeing to any such terms or eventualities. This is the ONLY thing a Spanish court will consider as evidence if it comes to that.

FWIW

Martin

Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

¿Cómo conseguir que te paguen en España? .. y otros problemas

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »