Francesco Cinti
Francesco Cinti
Italy
Local time: 22:39
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 7, 2020

Good evening everyone,
I am looking for professional advice concerning general rates applied to subtitling in European languages, especially from English/Spanish to Italian.
I saw there are hundreds of posts here on Proz.com regarding average rates, but in the end they appear a bit confusing to me. Generally, some translators argue that the minimum should be around €6,00/minute but others suggest a way higher rate. Could someone please clarify what could be considered an acceptable
... See more
Good evening everyone,
I am looking for professional advice concerning general rates applied to subtitling in European languages, especially from English/Spanish to Italian.
I saw there are hundreds of posts here on Proz.com regarding average rates, but in the end they appear a bit confusing to me. Generally, some translators argue that the minimum should be around €6,00/minute but others suggest a way higher rate. Could someone please clarify what could be considered an acceptable rate for the language combination mentioned above? There are tons of websites where it is possible to get an idea regarding rates applied to standard translation, but very few ones giving an overview of audiovisual translation services.

Thanks in advance.
FC
Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
No such thing as standard rates, I'm afraid Sep 8, 2020

There is no definite answer to your question. Rates for European languages in audiovisual translation depend on many factors: where you/your client live, what specialty you are talking about (subtitling, lip-synch dubbing, dubbing for voice-over), what part of the process you are supposed to perform (cueing and translating, translating only, etc.), to which medium/type of client your translation is destined (cinema, dvd, tv, streaming, corporate communication, etc.) and so on. It may vary from a... See more
There is no definite answer to your question. Rates for European languages in audiovisual translation depend on many factors: where you/your client live, what specialty you are talking about (subtitling, lip-synch dubbing, dubbing for voice-over), what part of the process you are supposed to perform (cueing and translating, translating only, etc.), to which medium/type of client your translation is destined (cinema, dvd, tv, streaming, corporate communication, etc.) and so on. It may vary from a few dollars (e.g. US-based client for dvd or streaming) to 25 euros or more (e.g. premium French client for corporate videos or a theatrical release) per minute of program. Anyway, as translation rates can't be regulated by law, in the end, you'll have to decide for yourself what price is right for your work and experience/paying your rent.Collapse

Eva Stoppa

Andreas Kjeldsen
Andreas Kjeldsen  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Netflix rates Sep 12, 2020

As Sylvano says, rates vary depending on many different factors, but you can have a look at the Netflix Preferred Vendor rate card (under “Timed Text Origination”) to get a sense of what I would call the “mid range” of rates.

https://npfp.netflixstudios.com/npfp-program-conditions-sla-global-rate-card-scope-of-work

... See more
As Sylvano says, rates vary depending on many different factors, but you can have a look at the Netflix Preferred Vendor rate card (under “Timed Text Origination”) to get a sense of what I would call the “mid range” of rates.

https://npfp.netflixstudios.com/npfp-program-conditions-sla-global-rate-card-scope-of-work

These are the per-minute rates paid to vendor agencies; a subtitler would expect to get about 75% of that. And it is for working from an existing timed template. If you need to time the subtitle events from scratch (full origination), you would of course charge more.
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:39
English to German
+ ...
What's your standard? Sep 12, 2020

Francesco Cinti wrote:

Good evening everyone,
I saw there are hundreds of posts here on Proz.com regarding average rates, but in the end they appear a bit confusing to me. Generally, some translators argue that the minimum should be around €6,00/minute but others suggest a way higher rate.

Average words per video minute: 200
€6 / 200 = €0.03 per word
Just for translating.

I think newbies get duped bc they think it's €6 per MINUTE, not VIDEO MINUTE.

Why else would anyone want to do this? Laughable!!!

[Edited at 2020-09-12 21:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AUDIOVISUAL TRANSLATION: SUBTITLING RATES FOR EUROPEAN LANGUAGES

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »