Thread poster: Jacinthe Garant
Jacinthe Garant
Jacinthe Garant
Canada
Local time: 01:55
English to French
Mar 20, 2021

Hi,

I’m having an issue with the replacement of straight quotes with smart quotes for French (Canada) since the CU4 update and I’m wondering if it is only happening to me. I have posted on the SDL Community forum (here), but my first explanation was not clear enough because they seemed to think I w
... See more
Hi,

I’m having an issue with the replacement of straight quotes with smart quotes for French (Canada) since the CU4 update and I’m wondering if it is only happening to me. I have posted on the SDL Community forum (here), but my first explanation was not clear enough because they seemed to think I was referring to the non-breaking space and they told me to try using QuickInsert to get the behaviour I want.

I guess that is a workaround, but the issue I’m having is related to where the insertion point moves to once the straight quote is replaced with the smart quote. I don’t recall having that issue before the update.

CURRENT BEHAVIOUR:
« T[insertion point end up here]hi »s[insertion point ends up here] is a test.

You can see a clip of this behaviour in action in my post on the SDL Forum.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR:
« [insertion point should end up here]Thi »[insertion point should end up here]s is a test.

I know that “« Thi »s” makes no sense, but I didn’t think it would be clear enough if the skipped character was a space.

Anyone else sees this behaviour in SDL Trados Studio 2021 after the Cumulative Update 4?

[Edited at 2021-03-20 18:48 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Smart Quote Issue for French (Canada) after SDL Studio Trados 2021 CU4 Update

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »