Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]
This trend of agencies deciding which tools the freelancer should use...
Thread poster: Alison High
Susan van den Ende
Susan van den Ende  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:47
English to Dutch
+ ...
Find compatible clients instead of making the software compatible Jun 27, 2019

I'm usually willing to try new tools, just because I feel it's good to "know what's out there". And incidentally, my agency clients often do offer to pay me some training time to get up to speed with a new tool.

Why would I mind when agencies require different tools? Every now and then a good client is in dire need, or I am curious about the new CAT on the block. That happens often enough that I have a decent idea of different tools, how they work, what features they have - and what
... See more
I'm usually willing to try new tools, just because I feel it's good to "know what's out there". And incidentally, my agency clients often do offer to pay me some training time to get up to speed with a new tool.

Why would I mind when agencies require different tools? Every now and then a good client is in dire need, or I am curious about the new CAT on the block. That happens often enough that I have a decent idea of different tools, how they work, what features they have - and what surcharge I should apply to make it worth working with them.

But in the end, I prefer MemoQ for my regular end clients, simply because it allows for a much higher productivity than any other tool I've used, and because I feel it's the tool that best allows me to deliver high quality. It doesn't matter if an online tool is free for me to use, when I lose 40% productivity or when it doesn't allow me to deliver quality work. A couple of years ago I did quite a bit of work around compatability, helping colleagues set up a Trados project for their Deja Vu, etc. Then I changed my approach and decided to find compatible clients rather than spend energy in making software compabile. There's plenty of agencies that use MemoQ, and I don't miss fidgeting around with software settings.
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
DZiW (X)
Christine Andersen

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

This trend of agencies deciding which tools the freelancer should use...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »