Glossary
Thread poster: Yves Bourjolly
Yves Bourjolly
Yves Bourjolly  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Oct 10, 2018

I want to know whether to create one local glossary for source language and one for target language.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Need more info Oct 10, 2018

Care to expand on that ?

What's the context, the tool, the reason(-ing)…

Yves Bourjolly
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary Oct 10, 2018

In establishing a general glossary.

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:08
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Glossary, by definition... Oct 10, 2018

...implies a list of words with their corresponding meanings in another language — so it is by its very nature going to be a bilingual file!

What you have not explained is if you mean a"manual" glossary, such as might be created in Excel etc. — or if you are referring to a glossary to be created within some CAT tool, for example?

I think you probably need to explain a bit more about what you are actually asking?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
define:glossary Oct 10, 2018

Yves, something like freeglossaries? If you're talking about CATs, then (1) some translators don't use file glossaries, (2) create/update a glossary from the text BEFORE (e.g. via free PlusTools) or (3) WHILE translation, or (4) use a client's [mostly poor] glossary/TM; which is the case?

Tony, it's not always about
... See more
Yves, something like freeglossaries? If you're talking about CATs, then (1) some translators don't use file glossaries, (2) create/update a glossary from the text BEFORE (e.g. via free PlusTools) or (3) WHILE translation, or (4) use a client's [mostly poor] glossary/TM; which is the case?

Tony, it's not always about bilingual vocabulary, sometimes it's
an alphabetical list of terms or words found in or relating to a specific subject, text, or dialect, with explanations; a brief dictionary
, not always translation

[Edited at 2018-10-10 18:49 GMT]
Collapse

finnword1
Michele Fauble

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The question is too non-specific Oct 10, 2018

Yves Bourjolly wrote:
I want to know whether to create one local glossary for source language and one for target language.

What do you want to use the glossary for? Will you be creating the glossary as time goes by or in one sitting?

In some cases, a glossary should be reversible, i.e you should be able to generate a second glossary with entries in the other language by just switching the columns around and sorting it. However, in some cases it may be better for you to create the two glossaries simultaneously, and not first create the one and then convert it to the other.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
With reference to Asker's specific query... Oct 10, 2018

DZiW wrote:

Tony, it's not always about bilingual vocabulary, sometimes it's an alphabetical list of terms or words found in or relating to a specific subject, text, or dialect, with explanations; a brief dictionary, not always translation

Thank you for that rather patronizing comment — I was simply responding to asker's original question, where he specifically mentions "source language / target language", which to me seems to clearly indicate that we are in a bilingual situation here.

I am, of course, perfectly well aware of the other ways "glossary" is used in my mother tongue — but thank you for the lesson, anyway.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
General? Oct 11, 2018

Yves Bourjolly wrote:

In establishing a general glossary.

A "general" glossary would be a dictionary, wouldn't it? I have specific, bilingual glossaries, sometimes with an extra column for a definition, for each field I work in. My fashion and textiles glossary runs to about 80 pages because different clients want different terms, so there's a sub-section per client, and I have quite a few clients in this field. Any time it takes more than a cursory check to find a term, I'll stick it in there.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My preference Oct 11, 2018

Kay Denney wrote:

A "general" glossary would be a dictionary, wouldn't it?

I have in the past used individual customer glossaries, but there is so much valuable information that can be leveraged between them, what I now try to do is to create one big, amalgamated glossary, with sub fields for notes / definitions etc. and also to identify the customer the term "belongs" to (or the source it came from), so I can make sure I use customer-preferred terminology where that exists.

The only problem arises if a customer asks me to provide their glossary, in which case I have to do an extract of just their terms, so as to avoid breaching possible client confidentiality. Luckily, I only have one or two customers who require this!

Yves Bourjolly
United States
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary Oct 12, 2018

I thank everyone of you for your comments. I was referring to glossary to be created within a CAT tools, and I was wondering if one glossary could be automatically reversible or, should I create two glossaries for sources and targets simultaneously. I have noticed your comments in that regard. Thank you so much.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Yves Oct 12, 2018

Yves Bourjolly wrote:
I was referring to [the] glossary to be created within a CAT tool, and I was wondering if one glossary could be automatically reversible, or, should I create two glossaries...

This really depends on which CAT tool you're using. Some CAT tools create glossaries with language codes, so you can have terms in both directions in a single glossary. Other CAT tools require you to specify the language codes, but only allow one language combination in a single glossary. Still other CAT tools don't care about the language that the glossary's source text terms are in. For such tools it's best to create one glossary for each language combination.

In general, it's best to create one glossary for each language combination. In fact, it's sometimes best to create one glossary for each subject field that you translate in, or for each client that you do translations for.

Some CAT tools include a feature that reverses the glossary direction. It really all depends on which CAT tool you're using.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »