How to insert English words into Arabic text using Word 2007
Thread poster: Ibrahim Nassef (X)
Ibrahim Nassef (X)
Ibrahim Nassef (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 21, 2009

Is there a way to do that? My problem is that whenever I change the text alignment and the language to
Arabic and try to insert English expressions within the Arabic sentence, the cursor jumps to the right of the line. I know that there must be a simple way to do that. Could somebody help?

[Edited at 2009-03-21 02:25 GMT]

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Two questions Mar 21, 2009

Question 1:

Ibrahim Nassef wrote:

whenever I change the text alignment and the language to
Arabic and try to insert English expressions within the Arabic sentence, the cursor jumps to the right of the line.

If the sentence is Arabic already, why do you change the text alignment to and the language to Arabic? Shouldn't the alignment and language already be Arabic?

Question 2:

How are you inserting the English word(s)? By keying it in or by copy/paste?

Ali Al awadi
Ali Al awadi  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Arabic
+ ...
Language Settings Problem Mar 21, 2009

You should do the following:
In the desktop, press Start, All programs, then choose Microsoft Office; and in Microsoft Office, choose Office Tools, and go to إعدادات اللغة, enable Arabic language and Press Ok. You are done!

Regards

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
Change text direction, not text alignment Mar 21, 2009

I don't know if that answers your question, but I've come across a lot of cases where people writing Arabic only change the text alignment to right-to-left, while leaving the text direction left-to-right. This means that Word treats the text as it would an English text that's aligned to the right.
The icon you need to press has a "paragraph" symbol on it ... See more
I don't know if that answers your question, but I've come across a lot of cases where people writing Arabic only change the text alignment to right-to-left, while leaving the text direction left-to-right. This means that Word treats the text as it would an English text that's aligned to the right.
The icon you need to press has a "paragraph" symbol on it but with a blue triangle on the right.

PS I think that's exactly what you're doing wrong - I just tried to insert an English word in an Arabic text where only the alignment is changed, and the cursor jumps to the right just as you describe.

[Edited at 2009-03-21 08:48 GMT]
Collapse

Ibrahim Nassef (X)
Ibrahim Nassef (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:09
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks to Everybody Mar 21, 2009

I really appreciate your valuable help in that matter. The tip of Nesrin was the one who did it though.
Thank you very much again! My problem is that I am a Pre-Internet dinosaur, who has a lot to catch up with new technologies!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert English words into Arabic text using Word 2007

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »