Pain characterizations glossary: finding the right Arabic equivalent can be challenging
Thread poster: Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles
Haytham Boles  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nov 25, 2012

Dear colleagues:

I hope you're all well.

On a regular basis in my part-time job as a healthcare interpreter, I encounter a list of characterizations of pain, especially when helping clients complete registration forms. I do not usually have any problem understanding the meaning of the English adjectives modifying the noun: pain. The major challenge for me is finding the suitable equivalent word(s) in Arabic along with the best explanation in Arabic as many of my clients
... See more
Dear colleagues:

I hope you're all well.

On a regular basis in my part-time job as a healthcare interpreter, I encounter a list of characterizations of pain, especially when helping clients complete registration forms. I do not usually have any problem understanding the meaning of the English adjectives modifying the noun: pain. The major challenge for me is finding the suitable equivalent word(s) in Arabic along with the best explanation in Arabic as many of my clients are individuals with little, to zero, education in the home country. Therefore I am faced with a two-fold challenge. First, finding the right equivalent terminology (non-jargon as much as possible) which is understood by individuals with various educational backgrounds. Second, finding the best explanation for the adjective modifying the noun, pain in Standard Arabic/Iraqi dialect.

Here is a glossory of pain characterizations.

cramping pain
dull pain
numbing pain
radiating pain
throbbing pain
penetrating pain
stabbing pain
exhausting pain
aching pain

I'd like to know if you find these terms challenging as well. Please share with me your experience.

How would these adjectives be best rendered into Arabic using a language that is understood by an educated and uneducated client. Do you think that Standard Arabic would do the job? or is it better to opt for non-standard dialect? And are there any explanations that could aid the medical translator/interpreter you're aware of. I know that many of these adjectives need to be supported by some explanation in Arabic to help with fully understanding their meaning because there is sometimes not a one-to-one linguistic correspondence between English and Arabic.

Finally, is there some medical reference in Arabic to lean to to reach at the best equivalence and explanation to rid us of the headache that such adjectives could cause us ?

I am sure your feedback will enrich the discussion.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2012-11-25 05:01 GMT]
Collapse

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My suggested Arabic translations for the English terms Nov 25, 2012

Here are my suggested Arabic translations for the English terms describing pain:

Cramping pain
ألم شبيه بالتشنج
Dull pain
ألم (مستمر) غير حاد
Numbing pain
ألم يجعل المنطقة المصابة خَدِرة
Radiating pain
ألم ممتد إلى: مثلا من أسفل الظهر إلى الأطراف السفلى
Throbbing pain
ألم نابض
Stabbing pain
ألم يشبه ط
... See more
Here are my suggested Arabic translations for the English terms describing pain:

Cramping pain
ألم شبيه بالتشنج
Dull pain
ألم (مستمر) غير حاد
Numbing pain
ألم يجعل المنطقة المصابة خَدِرة
Radiating pain
ألم ممتد إلى: مثلا من أسفل الظهر إلى الأطراف السفلى
Throbbing pain
ألم نابض
Stabbing pain
ألم يشبه طعنة بسكين: كأن شخص ما يطعنك بسكين
Exhausting pain
ألم منهك
Aching pain
ألم حاد

Let me know what you think. Any better suggestions along with useful explanation?
Collapse

Samaa Zeitoun

A Nabil Bouitieh
A Nabil Bouitieh
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:32
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Your explanation & suggestion Nov 25, 2012

Dear Haytham

First of all I'd like to thank you for bringing this issue into light, as I do; not only in the medical field, face a challenging task in finding the right terminology, which is understood by individuals with various educational backgrounds. Your suggestions are best you could do for describing "pain". I have one reservation for rendering "cramping pain", I'd describe it as: pain accompanied with cramp, and not "like" as you put it. The rest are perfect.

... See more
Dear Haytham

First of all I'd like to thank you for bringing this issue into light, as I do; not only in the medical field, face a challenging task in finding the right terminology, which is understood by individuals with various educational backgrounds. Your suggestions are best you could do for describing "pain". I have one reservation for rendering "cramping pain", I'd describe it as: pain accompanied with cramp, and not "like" as you put it. The rest are perfect.

Last but not least, your query about the medical references, I would use the medical dictionaries and medical journals, magazines and keep up with new terminologies that comes up, on every time.

I wish you all the best and good luck.

Kind regards
Nabil Bouitieh
Collapse

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pain characterizations glossary: finding the right Arabic equivalent can be challenging Nov 26, 2012

Dear Nabil,

Thanks a lot for your instructive feedback! I am really glad that somebody among Arabic translators provided his comment on the topic.

I wished to see more contributions from other Arabic translators/interpreters as I firmly believe that the more comments on a particular topic, the greater benefit.

Best wishes,
Haytham Boles

A Nabil Bouitieh wrote:

Dear Haytham

Last but not least, your query about the medical references, I would use the medical dictionaries and medical journals, magazines and keep up with new terminologies that comes up, on every time.

I wish you all the best and good luck.

Kind regards
Nabil Bouitieh

Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:32
English to Arabic
it is what you say, not how you say it Dec 12, 2012

From my side, I would suggest not to use a single way to render the meaning to your clients. As you said, they come from different backgrounds and have variant educational levels, which make you, as an interpreter, keener to deliver the original message in whatever level of Arabic close to their apprehension, either colloquial or modern standard Arabic. I could be wrong, but this is my simple thoughts about it.

Haytham Boles
United States
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your valuable feedback is much appreciated! Dec 13, 2012

Nihad_Ali wrote:

From my side, I would suggest not to use a single way to render the meaning to your clients. As you said, they come from different backgrounds and have variant educational levels, which make you, as an interpreter, keener to deliver the original message in whatever level of Arabic close to their apprehension, either colloquial or modern standard Arabic. I could be wrong, but this is my simple thoughts about it.

Hello Nihad,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your comment on the topic. I think what you say makes perfect sense to me!

Best wishes,
Haytham Boles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pain characterizations glossary: finding the right Arabic equivalent can be challenging

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »