How do you like the "I'm currently OOO" message?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 16, 2021

I found it a little annoying. It doesn't do any good.

Kunal Jaidka

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Not in office Aug 16, 2021

It lets people who don’t follow politics know that you lost the election🤷‍♂️

A. & S. Witte
Liviu-Lee Roth
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Veronica Montserrat

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:05
German to English
+ ...
What does it mean? Aug 19, 2021

I've never seen such a message.

Christel Zipfel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:05
English to Russian
Out Of Office Aug 19, 2021

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
What does it mean?
I've never seen such a message.
It means that the person you are trying to reach is day-off. Hardly it is more annoying than IMHO or AFAIK or any other colloquial abbreviation.

[Edited at 2021-08-19 22:23 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
The email answering machine bot? Aug 19, 2021

It has its uses. If you're trying to get somebody to fix an issue on Friday and get such a response, you might then realize that no help is coming until Monday.

Or it can just help you decide whether to wait for a response or just go to sleep or do life things if you're working with other time zones.

Angie Garbarino
Marina Taffetani

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@jyuan_us Aug 20, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:
I found it a little annoying. It doesn't do any good.

If you're talking about OOO messages in general, then my opinion is that they are a good thing. It allows the sender of an e-mail to know when his e-mail will be responded to.

If you create such a message yourself (if your mail server/e-mail program allows it), I don't recommend using the word "OOO" because it may not be universally understood -- rather call it an "out-of-office reply", and put the words "out of office" somewhere in the subject line instead of just "OOO" if you really want to.

The most recent OOO message that I used had the subject line "Away on holiday, 5-17 August 2021" and in the body of the mail I explained on what days I would be available and how much. But if I need to leave the office for just a few hours during normal business hours, I'd use something like "Out of office until 5 PM, 17 August 2021" in the subject line, with a brief note in the body of the mail to the same effect. I don't set an OOO message for weekends or after hours hours, but I know that some people do.

I appreciate it when PMs set such replies at all times that they are not available, however (including weekends and after hours hours), so that I know when I can expect a reply to my mail.

Added: or are you annoyed at the use of the word "OOO" specifically?

[Edited at 2021-08-20 08:26 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Christine Andersen

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:05
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Here is the case Aug 20, 2021

I get an out-of-office response to virtually every email I sent to two clients of mine everyday after they call it a day.

Tony Keily

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:05
English to Russian
You have a choice Aug 21, 2021

jyuan_us wrote:
I get an out-of-office response to virtually every email I sent to two clients of mine everyday after they call it a day.
You can either not send them emails out of their workday hours or just ignore those messages. It is absolutely ok that people don't work in their off hours. On the other hand, annoying them with emails in their off hours is not ok at all. Even if you are in different time zones, you should keep in mind the time difference and account it when you send an email or expect a response.

*If you just don't want to see those messages and clog your inbox, you can setup a filter to delete them or re-direct them to a dedicated folder (Spam folder, Recycle Bin folder, Specific Client folder, etc.).

[Edited at 2021-08-22 00:59 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Aug 23, 2021

It's apparently possible to schedule emails to arrive once your correspondent is back in the office, and this would be ideal for people in different time zones.
I don't set OOO messages. I tell agencies when I'm not going to be available, and I'm always available to my direct clients. Direct clients mostly don't bother me during holiday periods so I do still enjoy breaks. And people should be able to understand that we are not available 24/365 and that I might take longer to respond at the
... See more
It's apparently possible to schedule emails to arrive once your correspondent is back in the office, and this would be ideal for people in different time zones.
I don't set OOO messages. I tell agencies when I'm not going to be available, and I'm always available to my direct clients. Direct clients mostly don't bother me during holiday periods so I do still enjoy breaks. And people should be able to understand that we are not available 24/365 and that I might take longer to respond at the weekend or mid-August or on 31/12 (my clients are all in Europe).
Collapse

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
I wouldn't leave THAT message Aug 23, 2021

But I generally let anyone who's interested know about my obligations that will keep me AFK and +/- out of contact using automatic responses, in the same way as all my customers do. I mean, if they're doing it, presumably they think it's useful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »