Emily Gilby
Emily Gilby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:59
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2023

I've been getting emails from [email protected] these past few days regarding some "wrong doings" of an agency that I work for. I don't know how they got my email address or how they know that I work for this agency, so I asked them and never received a reply, I just keep on getting emails from them. The emails are well written, but the last few have included links to click on to "sign a petition" w... See more
I've been getting emails from [email protected] these past few days regarding some "wrong doings" of an agency that I work for. I don't know how they got my email address or how they know that I work for this agency, so I asked them and never received a reply, I just keep on getting emails from them. The emails are well written, but the last few have included links to click on to "sign a petition" which seems a bit suspect to me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has received these emails and knows more about whether it's legit or not?Collapse

jany lim (X)

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sic? Aug 22, 2023

With a double-x?!

Philip Lees

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
What's the link? Aug 22, 2023

Which URL do they want you to go to?

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Link Aug 22, 2023

It's a chng.it URL which I'm not willing to click on

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Emily Aug 22, 2023

I haven’t received any mail from them (so far?) and I don’t work for that client. I set my own rates, not my clients. Take it or leave it! Anyway, I don’t sign anonymous petitions…

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Maria Aug 22, 2023

It's not that I work for this "Linguists Against Exploitation" either, it's that they seem to be someone, or a group of people, that confront translation agencies who are exploiting translators (hence the name). It all seems well and good from that point of view, but I just find it odd that they've got my email address and know that I have worked for the agency that they are currently targeting and asking me to sign petitions about.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:59
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Change.org Aug 22, 2023

Emily Gilby wrote:

It's a chng.it URL which I'm not willing to click on

It leads to change.org, I tried it. It is a petition ("Fair Compensation for Linguists: Review and Increase PPD's CAT Grid Rates!"), being PPD the agency I suppose.

Edit: I just found the petition on Google searching for "linguists against exploitation", I did not receive the mentioned email.

[Bearbeitet am 2023-08-22 08:34 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
If they just stopped working for this company... Aug 22, 2023

...the problem would resolve itself, surely? If the rate is too low, decline offers of work and find other clients or tackle a different line of business entirely! If enough translators do this, the client will be forced to agree to higher rates.

I can't see how a petition targeting a business like this helps in any way
... See more
...the problem would resolve itself, surely? If the rate is too low, decline offers of work and find other clients or tackle a different line of business entirely! If enough translators do this, the client will be forced to agree to higher rates.

I can't see how a petition targeting a business like this helps in any way, unless they have evidence that the company in question is breaking the law. On the contrary, the use of emotive (and frankly embarrassing) words like "implore" just suggests a lack of pride and faith in themselves and their position.

The naivete of freelancers never ceases to surprise me. How can you force a client in an unregulated market to work with you only at the rates you want? You can't. You have to find a different client that will pay the rates you want. If you can't find any such clients, leave the industry and find more lucrative work.

And it is very odd, as Emily says, that they have access to, and have used, the emails of other freelancers who have worked with this company. Shows poor judgement through and through.

Dan
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Nicole Hawkesford
Joe France
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Kevin Fulton
Philippe Etienne

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Coincidence Aug 22, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
And it is very odd, as Emily says, that they have access to, and have used, the emails of other freelancers who have worked with this company. Shows poor judgement through and through.

There’s always the possibility that it was just an email blast, and the fact that Emily works with the agency they are targeting was a pure coincidence.

Let’s not lose sleep over this, shall we?

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Emily Aug 22, 2023

Emily Gilby wrote:

It's not that I work for this "Linguists Against Exploitation" either, it's that they seem to be someone, or a group of people, that confront translation agencies who are exploiting translators (hence the name). It all seems well and good from that point of view, but I just find it odd that they've got my email address and know that I have worked for the agency that they are currently targeting and asking me to sign petitions about.

When I said "that client" I meant the one mentioned in the petition, not Linguists Against Exploitation...

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
On the contrary, let's Aug 22, 2023

Mr. Satan wrote:
Let’s not lose sleep over this, shall we?

No, let's.
Let's object to people spamming other people just because they think it's important.
Because if that's all the justification they need then the floodgates are opened.

And that's before we even consider how those email addresses came into their possession.

Dan

P.L.F. Persio
Tanja Oresnik
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
Helene Voyer

Emily Gilby
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Aug 22, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

With a double-x?!

Yes, sorry, didn't see your post earlier, it's with a double "x" :/

I've contacted them again but still no response. I thought I would post on here to see if anyone else had received these emails and knew whether it was legit or not, Perhaps it is a mass email, who knows.

Christopher Schröder

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Deleted Aug 22, 2023

Deleted as I missed a key detail, sorry!

[Edited at 2023-08-22 14:10 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
SpamZ Aug 23, 2023

Dan Lucas wrote:
No, let's.
Let's object to people spamming other people just because they think it's important.
Because if that's all the justification they need then the floodgates are opened.

Dan, under my other pseudonyms, every once in a while I get spammed by some random SJWs inviting me to join their fights. Things happen, big deal. If I make an issue of every inconvenience I face, I'd be running out of time and energy to focus on what's more substantial.

And that's before we even consider how those email addresses came into their possession.

And I'm a strong believer of Occam's razor. Not everything warrants a conspiratorial explanation.

Ice Scream wrote:
With a double-x?!

Be glad it wasn't a triple-x. That would've been awkward. 😂

[Edited at 2023-08-23 09:46 GMT]

Melina Kajander
Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
- Sep 4, 2023

I've never had emails from this address, or heard of anyone else who has, but to be honest, "Linguists Against Exploitation" sounds like an organization I could join Wish there was such a one, a legit one obviously (and not just an email spammer).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linguists Against Exploitation?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »