Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:33
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 25, 2006

Hello!

I've got a client whon sends me regular work and her TMs so that I can work on them.

The TMs are regularly updated but when I receive them many segments don't match and some words get weird characters instead of the letters. For instance, letters with an accent (à, á, é, í, ó, ú, õ, ã, ê) and also "ç".

I've got word 2000 in Portuguese and trados 5.

My client has got word 2003 in English and trados 7.5.

We usually e
... See more
Hello!

I've got a client whon sends me regular work and her TMs so that I can work on them.

The TMs are regularly updated but when I receive them many segments don't match and some words get weird characters instead of the letters. For instance, letters with an accent (à, á, é, í, ó, ú, õ, ã, ê) and also "ç".

I've got word 2000 in Portuguese and trados 5.

My client has got word 2003 in English and trados 7.5.

We usually export the TM to each other.

Can this be a version problem? It never happened to me with other clients and I'm pretty sure they don't have the same version I do.

I usually replace those characters/symbols by their respective letter when I receive the TM but sometimes there are very big TMs but I waste a bit of time in it.

Is there another solution?

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Best,
Ivana
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Encoding Aug 25, 2006

It is probably a case of the TMX file encoding, whether it is UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-15, Windows 1252 etc

Find out the encoding of the file you receive from your client (ask if s/he knows when s/he saves it) or from a text editor which can tell you.

See if Trados offers a number of different encodings for TMX import and set it to the appropriate one or just try a few likely ones (those I listed above, for example) and see if all your characters get displa
... See more
It is probably a case of the TMX file encoding, whether it is UTF-8, UTF-16, ISO-8859-1, ISO-8859-15, Windows 1252 etc

Find out the encoding of the file you receive from your client (ask if s/he knows when s/he saves it) or from a text editor which can tell you.

See if Trados offers a number of different encodings for TMX import and set it to the appropriate one or just try a few likely ones (those I listed above, for example) and see if all your characters get displayed correctly.

www.proz.com/topic/53168
www.proz.com/topic/33066
www.proz.com/topic/28834

If one version of Trados cannot import a TMX in an encoding readable by the other (unlikely I would have thought) you will need to open the TMX in a text editor that can save the file in the necessary encoding or (preferably in my experience) use iconv.
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
probably unicode related Aug 25, 2006

Trados 7.x supports unicode, previous versions don't. Therefore probably the scrambled special characters.

Ask your client to export the tm for the older Trados versions; that will most likely solve the problem.

HTH!

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 18:33
German to English
+ ...
Heike is right Aug 25, 2006

Heike is right - I had the same problem recently, and that was the cause.

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's good old unicode, I'm sure Aug 25, 2006

It has happened to me, not with a TM, but opening files in MS Word. My Portuguese/ English characters were all replaced with Chinese characters... just imagine the trouble. It turns out, I was the one who was making that happen.

I don't know how to avoid your problem with TM' though, but your client might as well be the right person to question.
I hope you can solve your problem as soon as possible!

[Edited at 2006-08-25 09:31]

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Export as a Trados 2x-6x Aug 27, 2006

Hi Ivana,

Your client has to export the TM as a Trados 2x-6x instead of doing it as a Trados 7. After choosing the Export command, your client has to choose that option on the browsing window that appears on the screen. Doing so, the export will work on any Trados version from Trados 2 to Trados 6 and the strange characters won't appear again.

If your client chooses export as Trados 7, that export will only work ok on Trados 7 machines.

Kind regards,
... See more
Hi Ivana,

Your client has to export the TM as a Trados 2x-6x instead of doing it as a Trados 7. After choosing the Export command, your client has to choose that option on the browsing window that appears on the screen. Doing so, the export will work on any Trados version from Trados 2 to Trados 6 and the strange characters won't appear again.

If your client chooses export as Trados 7, that export will only work ok on Trados 7 machines.

Kind regards,
Mónica
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving a TM from client with weird characters instead of letters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »