James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
语言接触的先后顺序 Jul 14, 2012

Leo Young wrote:

对于我这样没有离开过故土的人来讲,母语就是主要用于日常交流、获取多数信息、情感交流的语言。

对于生长在异乡的人,例如很多生长在美国的华裔生活在英语的环境中,不会讲汉语很正常,很难说母语到底是哪个?

博尔赫斯生长在阿根廷讲西班牙语,可从小他的外婆就给他讲英文故事,他自己也流利讲多种语言。而在文学方面他自己也承认受英美文学传统影响最深。

对于身处多种语言环境的人来讲,这是个有意思的问题。比如一个妈妈意大利人,爸爸西班牙人,而全家生活在英国。但对于我等来讲真的很简单。

这里的解说可能从另一角度有助于理解母语和外语的对比意义:
http://baike.baidu.com/view/119195.htm

——母语,如果以其为第一语言来论之,它的运用能力对一个人进一步的学习过程至关重要,因为思考多是以母语为基础的;因此母语在教育过程中有核心的地位。

——如果母语掌握欠佳,学习别的语言也会有困难。

——母语不是靠出生地或血统决定。母语也不一定是母亲的语言。

——对于移民后代来说,“母语”不一定是母国或祖国的语言。一个人可以有两种或更多种母语,因此是“双语”或“多语”的。

——语言的学习先后顺序,并不一定代表熟练程度。

Leo Young
Leo Young  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
Stray Jul 14, 2012

James_xia wrote:

这里的解说可能从另一角度有助于理解母语和外语的对比意义:
http://baike.baidu.com/view/119195.htm

——母语,如果以其为第一语言来论之,它的运用能力对一个人进一步的学习过程至关重要,因为思考多是以母语为基础的;因此母语在教育过程中有核心的地位。

——如果母语掌握欠佳,学习别的语言也会有困难。

——母语不是靠出生地或血统决定。母语也不一定是母亲的语言。

——对于移民后代来说,“母语”不一定是母国或祖国的语言。一个人可以有两种或更多种母语,因此是“双语”或“多语”的。

——语言的学习先后顺序,并不一定代表熟练程度。

我是跑題了。 :D

Alan Wang
Alan Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
标准 Jul 14, 2012

我想,Phil 的标准设定的比较高。以他的母语定义,可能很少有符合的情况。
有个业界的大人物说过,中国真正合格的中译英人才不足百人。这些人在 proz 登记的肯定没几个,呵呵。大概他的“合格”标准也比较高。

ysun wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page8.html#1967387
Phil Hand wrote:

Please go and check out Chinese-English translators. The vast majority of those who claim to be English native are just lying. It's not a kinda maybe situation. It's just a lie to get eligibility for jobs. I would certainly like to see some enforcement against that kind of behaviour.

Otherwise, take that down right now or apologize.

[Edited at 2012-07-14 05:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-07-14 15:21 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:55
English to Chinese
+ ...
不要迷信“大人物” Jul 14, 2012

这种大人物的数字也是信口开河拍脑袋拍出来的,也能信?难道十几亿中国人以及散布在世界各地的华人中,真正合格的中译英人才果真就这么少吗?果真如某人所说“少得可怜,少的微不足道”?那也太小看中国和中国人了吧!建国以来,中国光为联合国、驻外使领馆、驻外公司和机构就输送了多少优秀译员?那些把“合格”标准设定得很高的“大人物”,首先也得问问他�... See more
这种大人物的数字也是信口开河拍脑袋拍出来的,也能信?难道十几亿中国人以及散布在世界各地的华人中,真正合格的中译英人才果真就这么少吗?果真如某人所说“少得可怜,少的微不足道”?那也太小看中国和中国人了吧!建国以来,中国光为联合国、驻外使领馆、驻外公司和机构就输送了多少优秀译员?那些把“合格”标准设定得很高的“大人物”,首先也得问问他自己是否能达到此标准。反过来,我们也可以问一下,在母语是英语的人中,真正合格的中译英人才又有多少?汉语博大精深,某些懂中文的外国人自以为能看懂中文,实际上并看不懂,还谈得上什么翻译?我以前遇到过一位美国人,人很不错,是美国某名牌大学的中文博士。可是该中文博士写出来的中文只相当于中国小学生的水平。像这样的人能提供高水平中译英吗?

不过,我很同意这位大人物的这话:“试想,中国需要雇十万个外国人把中文所有的资料译成英文,我们找得到吗?因为种种原因,懂中文的外国人本来就不多,真正的汉学家就更少,所以这项我们并不擅长的工作历史性地落到了我们自己的头上。” 很多文件并不是光懂中英文就能翻译的。翻译科技文件,还必须懂科技语言。翻译法律文件,还必须懂法律语言。依此类推。否则,翻出来的东西根本就不能用,写得再流利、再华丽,那也是废纸一堆。

最近我说过,英语为母语并非是搞中译英的充分条件。我以前还说过,英语为母语并非是搞中译英的必要条件。今天我要再强调一下这两句话。我提倡并坚决支持所有有能力搞中译英的人,都来搞中译英。在实践中逐步提高。如果不敢搞,何时才能提高?我们总不能因噎废食吧。客户自然有其取舍标准,无需他人瞎操心。根据我的亲身经验,并不是所有客户都死搬教条的。完全以英语为母语者搞中译英,只能是一种努力目标。要想真正达到这个目标,少说也得几十年,也许永远都实现不了。在 ProZ.com 确实有不少优秀的中译英人才,其中有不少人的母语就是汉语。

正因为合格的中译英人才相对较少,才给具有相当水平的翻译提供了大量机会。例如,中国到国外申请的专利越来越多。有的是通过欧美的专利局、专利代理和律师事务所来找翻译的。这些机构提供的价格并不低。此外,以前有同事在此说过,国内也有为中译英“高端”项目出高价的单位和部门。所以,大家不要妄自菲薄,错失机会。

至于那些没多少客户问津的人,也不要怨天尤人,首先要从自己身上找找自己的不足之处,设法提高自己吧!
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
当然 Jul 14, 2012

我希望有志从事中译英的汉语为母语的翻译同行,都如实申报自己的母语,免得授人以柄,让人有机会以点代面、夸大其词,给所有 Chinese-English translators 脸上抹黑。

[Edited at 2012-07-15 17:23 GMT]

nigerose
nigerose  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
所谓的“母语” Jul 15, 2012

今早听93.8的call in 才知道从出世到十二岁之前使用的语言就是所谓的“母语” 也就是说虽然身为华人母语不一定是华文华语。:dizzy:

http://sing1.5d6d.net/archiver/tid-555.html

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
摆事实讲道理 Jul 15, 2012

在那个 mega thread 里:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page48.html#1976566

有人就这样误解了:
Phil's problem (if I understand correctly) is a high number of ZH-EN translators who declare only English as their native language, when in fact their native language is really Chinese.

那人为什么会这样误解?

我在前面说过:“我们不能绝对地认为那些长着一付东方面孔的就一定不是 native speakers of English”。
http://www.proz.com/post/1976009#1976009

如果通过以下方式搜索一下:
http://www.proz.com/translator-directory/
Search the ProZ.com translator and interpreter directory
Source language: Chinese
Target language: English
Native language: English
Country of residence: any

我们就会发现,排在最前面的两位长着一付东方面孔的年轻女士,都是我们很熟悉的人。虽然她们中文都很好,但她们都未把中文列为自己的母语(这无可非议)。但是,谁能够断言 “in fact their native language is really Chinese”?谁能够断言 English 不是她们的 native language?

所以,不了解情况的人不能凭空想象随便乱下结论。

[Edited at 2012-07-15 07:11 GMT]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Going back to "什么是母语?" Jul 15, 2012

Here's a link I got from Lesley yesterday ...

http://isg.urv.es/publicity/isg/publications/trp_3_2011/pym.pdf

Translation research terms: a tentative glossary for moments of perplexity and dispute
-- Anthony Pym, 2011

A language, B language vs. L1, L2: The terms “A language”, “B language” and “C language” are traditionally used in translator training institutions, where they indicate the language that the trainee has nominated as their primary or strongest (A), then the languages in which they need most training (B and C). A complete bilingual might thus request “double A” status of some kind, and many learners will effectively have a B1 and a B2 (i.e. two “second” languages at about the same level). More or less the same meanings are used by interpreters when naming their working languages. On the other hand, the terms “L1”, “L2”, etc. are used in the study of language acquisition, sometimes to indicate the order in which languages are acquired, and more normally to separate the primary or “mother” tongue from the others. Although the two nomenclatures often overlap (the trainee’s A language is usually their L1), there is a certain logic in separating the criteria of language acquisition from those of translator training.

~*~*~*~*~*

http://usuaris.tinet.cat/apym/

Anthony Pym is Professor of Translation and Intercultural Studies and coordinator of the Intercultural Studies Group at the Rovira i Virgili University in Tarragona, Spain. He runs a doctoral program in Translation and Intercultural Studies. He is also President of the European Society for Translation Studies, a fellow of the Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies, Visiting Researcher at the Monterey Institute of International Studies, and Professor Extraordinary at the University of Stellenbosch.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
bilingual, trilingual ... Jul 15, 2012

My thinking is if there could be a "'double A' status of some kind" in translator training, it's not so inconceivable that some people might have double L1 status due to their individual life experience when it comes to language fluency.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/trilingual

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Truth in advertising Jul 15, 2012

wherestip wrote:

My thinking is if there could be a "'double A' status of some kind" in translator training, it's not so inconceivable that some people might have double L1 status due to their individual life experience when it comes to language fluency.

Yueyin and Phil,

The reason I'm saying this is because I'm guessing that's what's behind the appearance of many Asians "falsely" declaring English as their N1. In reality many of these peers could be of Chinese descent, coming from countries and regions where English is indeed one of the official or working languages, such as Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, etc. So these claims could be entirely legit.

But let's not take each other to task on a couple of things said here and there. Yes, there could be some amount of hyperbole in what Phil said in that post, but I think it does reflect the reality that there's a good amount of deceptive advertising out there. People do inflate their credentials. And it is becoming more and more of a widespread problem with what some may consider a race to the bottom.

Of course I don't even list anything in my own profile. But if I did, I would be truthful to a tee. I think that's the main focal point or takeaway of that mega-thread: professionals on this site should be truthful.

I hate to see you guys butt heads on this. After all, we all agree that people should not make false claims in their profiles.

[Edited at 2012-07-15 18:57 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Totally agree Jul 15, 2012

Steve,

I totally agree with you!

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Descent not an issue Jul 16, 2012

wherestip wrote:

"the appearance of many Asians "falsely" declaring English as their N1. In reality many of these peers could be of Chinese descent, coming from countries and regions where English is indeed one of the official or working languages, such as Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, etc. So these claims could be entirely legit."

1) I agree with what you're saying. 2) I don't think there is any connection between being Asian/of Asian descent and false/true declarations of native language. That connection was raised by another person on this thread. Please, please don't impute such links to me. I mean, as I see it, you have the appearance of a small spaniel, but I have never assumed that your native language is Woof!

[edited for dog breed!]

[Edited at 2012-07-16 02:32 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Who is lying? Jul 16, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

Descent not an issue

[Edited at 2012-07-16 02:32 GMT]

Phil,

Could you please tell us who on earth is lying? Did you verify the “English native” claims of all the Chinese-English translators who claim to be English native before you made your conclusion since you said "the vast majority of those who claim to be English native are just lying"? If you did verify, please provide evidence for your conclusion. If you didn't verify or you can’t provide the evidence, it is very obvious who is just lying and you should do something.

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page8.html#1967387
Phil Hand wrote:

Please go and check out Chinese-English translators. "The vast majority of those who claim to be English native are just lying. It's not a kinda maybe situation. It's just a lie to get eligibility for jobs. I would certainly like to see some enforcement against that kind of behaviour.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
"impute" Jul 16, 2012

Phil Hand wrote:

wherestip wrote:

"the appearance of many Asians "falsely" declaring English as their N1. In reality many of these peers could be of Chinese descent, coming from countries and regions where English is indeed one of the official or working languages, such as Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, etc. So these claims could be entirely legit."

1) I agree with what you're saying. 2) I don't think there is any connection between being Asian/of Asian descent and false/true declarations of native language. That connection was raised by another person on this thread. Please, please don't impute such links to me. [Edited at 2012-07-16 02:32 GMT]

Phil,

I can understand that Samuel Murray was not quite sure about your problem since he said “if I understand correctly”. However, did you tell him that he didn’t understand your problem correctly? If you didn’t, I would appreciate it if you could tell him right now. Thank you!

http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/227485-should_“native_language”_claims_be_verified-page48.html#1976566
Samuel Murray wrote:

Phil's problem (if I understand correctly) is a high number of ZH-EN translators who declare only English as their native language, when in fact their native language is really Chinese.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
What we have here is failure to communicate Jul 16, 2012

ysun:

These are relevant and interesting questions. We spent a long time discussing them in the big thread. I would discuss them here with you now, except for the fact that you chose to poison this debate by accusing me of racism. As it is, I have no desire to engage with you, except to say, buzz off.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

什么是母语?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »