对于“turned down",是不是这样翻译最符合原文?
Thread poster: Kemp9
Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:28
Chinese to English
Translation for clarity of thought Oct 1, 2013

This discussion over what word to use for "happiness" reminds me how much I value translation for the way it forces you to really think through every concept. The notion of happiness that the author of this book uses is a very personal, interior feeling. I agree that 幸福 would be a problematic translation, because 幸福 often refers to external circumstances, and the author here is specifically rejecting that sense.

Ultimately, I suspect that the sense of happiness he's using is
... See more
This discussion over what word to use for "happiness" reminds me how much I value translation for the way it forces you to really think through every concept. The notion of happiness that the author of this book uses is a very personal, interior feeling. I agree that 幸福 would be a problematic translation, because 幸福 often refers to external circumstances, and the author here is specifically rejecting that sense.

Ultimately, I suspect that the sense of happiness he's using is nonsensical, or incoherent. And one of the ways we can think about the problems with it is by translating it into Chinese and seeing which words we can use and still make sense.

So 喜悦 is a good candidate, but if we use 喜悦 in connection with Buddhist concepts, it's going to sound weird. 高兴 would be hard to use because it's usually a reaction to external events, not a feeling. 快乐? 开心? I suspect that 快乐 would be the best fit.
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
快乐 Oct 1, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

Ultimately, I suspect that the sense of happiness he's using is nonsensical, or incoherent. And one of the ways we can think about the problems with it is by translating it into Chinese and seeing which words we can use and still make sense.

So 喜悦 is a good candidate, but if we use 喜悦 in connection with Buddhist concepts, it's going to sound weird. 高兴 would be hard to use because it's usually a reaction to external events, not a feeling. 快乐? 开心? I suspect that 快乐 would be the best fit.

I agree with you, Phil. If you had to pick one, that‘s the one that best fits the bill. Without double-checking every single instance, I would say you can use it throughout this entire passage.

[Edited at 2013-10-02 01:43 GMT]

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to Chinese
+ ...
真正的幸福 Oct 1, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

Hi Phil,

I had the same first impression on the meaning of 幸福, thinking of it as more of a material level thing, especially when we refer to 幸福's original meaning. While considering the evolution of language, now people are realizing there are different levels of 幸福,from material level to emotional level, and to a higher spiritual level, which is the true happiness(真正的幸福)。

In the author's article, "happiness" actually has several levels of meaning. How to differentiate these meanings with clear translation? That would be good to know.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
it is not worthwhile translating this kind of topic Oct 1, 2013

unless you want to translate for fun.

我们以翻译为业的人,做商务翻译才是正途。这种太难的文章不做也罢。即使你拿到了单子,做起来也太费劲了。

如果不给我正常费率3倍的价钱,我是不会碰这种题材的。耽误不起那个时间。

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
有道理 Oct 1, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

我们以翻译为业的人,做商务翻译才是正途。这种太难的文章不做也罢。即使你拿到了单子,做起来也太费劲了。

最近开始接触文学翻译界,接到了几个胆子,确实像jyuan说的,赔偿与投入不成正比。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
文学翻译的确比较费精神 Oct 1, 2013

jyuan_us wrote:

同意这种看法。每个汉子不能低于一块钱!

文学翻译除了要追求忠实、通达以外,还要追求美感,这个需要大量的时间推敲、润色文字。

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
严重同意 Oct 1, 2013

Phil Hand wrote:

快乐? 开心? I suspect that 快乐 would be the best fit.

重新考虑了一下,这里还是用“快乐”最好。幸福的含义其实比快乐更深、更广。

原文标题可以翻译为:来吧,快乐起来!

QHE
QHE
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
丢掉烦恼 Oct 2, 2013

Li Jie wrote:
只是有些帖子的语言刺激了我脆弱的神经,让我感到很受伤、很难堪,所以在当时的环境下有所回应。我并不想在别人开心的日子给人添堵。也请有些发帖人想想别人的感受。不再回应任何让我不开心的帖。

Li Jie,
非常理解你的心情,其实大家在这里的讨论都是针对问题本身而言的,看一下参与讨论的同行素质,谁会有意伤害别人呢?你自己最了解自己,你的认真执着大家都不难看到,而且应该学习。

我们这边的讨论会,经常是剑拔弩张的,“敌对双方”如果放在中国可能会永逝绝交世代为敌。可是这里会一散,双方即刻谈笑风声,好像什么都没发生。我刚开始总奇怪怎么情绪能变这么快,其实他们是就事论事。目的是解决问题。但是他们的开诚布公,直言不讳,也是常常有助于解决问题.

祝你节日开心快乐!

[Edited at 2013-10-02 01:05 GMT]

Ying Wang
Ying Wang  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
道歉 Oct 2, 2013

Li Jie wrote:

原文链接:http://site.douban.com/douban-read/widget/notes/14184535/note/296791850/

来吧,得到幸福

“幸福是一种灾难”,诗人兰特这样写道。乍看之下,我有些困惑,接着便有醍醐灌顶般的轻松和解脱。颠覆幸福这一概念登时让我觉得非常幸福。

幸福的产生可能并不久远,但自此对幸福的执著我想大概毁了很多人的生活吧。史前的人类祖先是否有“幸福”(并非满足了基本需求后的感受)这种概念,很值得怀疑。身边有几日的食粮,屋外又没有豺狼,男男女女的普通猿人大抵就很幸福了吧,即便用我们的标准来衡量也不外如此。而他们却浑然不觉。是否幸福根本不是一个问题。没有人必须达到幸福。
。。。。。。

只顾抓住一个词不放,以致忽略了欣赏您的译文和您的付出。如果您感觉受到伤害,请接收我的歉意。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:28
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apologies Oct 2, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

Same here. I was actually trying to be nice. I wouldn't post that much if I didn't want to help.

I tried to get on board with Li Jie's version, but that wasn't welcomed. Then I tried to talk her out of translating the whole darn thing. But obviously that was seen as insincere.

What's a guy to do? I think there's a severe breakdown in communication. I've been living in the U.S. for too long.

James_xia
James_xia  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
理解与体谅 Oct 2, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Ying Wang wrote:

Same here. I was actually trying to be nice. I wouldn't post that much if I didn't want to help.

I tried to get on board with Li Jie's version, but that wasn't welcomed. Then I tried to talk her out of translating the whole darn thing. But obviously that was seen as insincere.

What's a guy to do? I think there's a severe breakdown in communication. I've been living in the U.S. for too long.

看到Steve和phil论坛老将以及新人Ying Wang及Li Jie,还有各位热心同仁积极参与讨论时释放出的善意,令我等倍感欣慰!

有问题就会有争论,有争论才会有进步,这本是论坛设立的初衷。当我们用心参与时,措词上难免有时会不自觉地会表现得比较情绪化一些。这需要参与各方和场外的观众在事后给予理解和体谅,不必过于介怀。毕竟,论坛讨论只是一场同行之间的友情对练,并非真正的翻译竞标实践。激烈争论的结果带来的不是个人层面的胜负得失,而是我们出于对翻译事业的那份挚爱,在不畏挫折、勇于探索中获得领悟提高、开拓视界的难得机会~

[Edited at 2013-10-02 02:11 GMT]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
不得不说的话 Oct 2, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

Li Jie wrote:

另外,我倒觉得有时语言上的问题,可能没有什么归一的“真”和“正解”。

主要是语言也在流变之中,词语的意思也不是一成不变的。这个只要把一两百年前中国的书和今天的书对比一下就可以明白了。但是,在具体某个时代,语言的运用也有一定的常规。

是意义的解读。

否则的话,人与人之间的交流就不可能了。

但是,的确有时候也会碰到费解的地方。

非常同意。一句原文,其正解应该只有一种,尽管这个意思翻译时可能有很多种表达方式。

除非作者将模棱两可作为一种修辞手段来使用。

Li Jie
Li Jie  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
不关你的事, Oct 2, 2013

Ying Wang wrote:

不关你的事,但谢谢你的好意。

Li Jie
Li Jie  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
坦白讲 Oct 2, 2013

QHE wrote:

Li Jie wrote:
只是有些帖子的语言刺激了我脆弱的神经,让我感到很受伤、很难堪,所以在当时的环境下有所回应。我并不想在别人开心的日子给人添堵。也请有些发帖人想想别人的感受。不再回应任何让我不开心的帖。

Li Jie,
非常理解你的心情,其实大家在这里的讨论都是针对问题本身而言的,看一下参与讨论的同行素质,谁会有意伤害别人呢?你自己最了解自己,你的认真执着大家都不难看到,而且应该学习。

我们这边的讨论会,经常是剑拔弩张的,“敌对双方”如果放在中国可能会永逝绝交世代为敌。可是这里会一散,双方即刻谈笑风声,好像什么都没发生。我刚开始总奇怪怎么情绪能变这么快,其实他们是就事论事。目的是解决问题。但是他们的开诚布公,直言不讳,也是常常有助于解决问题.

祝你节日开心快乐!

[Edited at 2013-10-02 01:05 GMT]

坦白讲,我发言之后,你是第一个让我觉得说话“冷嘲热讽,夹枪带棒”的人。可能是我理解力太低,或者不习惯这种“开诚布公,直言不讳”吧。我想如果你能换一种表达方式,可能像我这样敏感又多心的陌生人更容易接受。

另外,这次翻译并非“认真执着”,只是有些不甘被别人那么讲,甚至负气的味道。其实有些愚蠢

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
背景差异与沟通局限 Oct 2, 2013

看了前面各位开诚布公的发言,我倍感欣喜!

由于论坛的朋友来自于全球各地,有着不同的文化背景、年龄、性别、教育背景、性格、阅历等情况,再加上论坛上交流的形式的局限(仅限于文字交流,听不到声音、语调、语气等),因此难免会有沟通和理解上的障碍,造成一些误会。因此,诚望大家发言时谨慎一些,同时也多一些包容之心。

祝大家国庆节快乐!

[Edited at 2013-10-02 04:35 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

对于“turned down",是不是这样翻译最符合原文?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »