Thread poster: Fang Yuan
Fang Yuan
Fang Yuan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 18, 2014

请问申请绿卡时所需的出生证明(国内公证处出具)的英文翻译件,可以是自己翻译的吗?
如果不行怎样得到具有法律效力的翻译件,谢谢。

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
notarization Apr 18, 2014

Fang Yuan wrote:

请问申请绿卡时所需的出生证明(国内公证处出具)的英文翻译件,可以是自己翻译的吗?
如果不行怎样得到具有法律效力的翻译件,谢谢。

如果是在英国,把翻译好的文件(须由合资格的翻译员处理)拿去可以做公证的律师事务所做 notarization 公证。相信美国也应该差不对。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:56
Chinese to English
+ ...
不能自己翻 Apr 18, 2014

Most of the info regarding green card applications could be found on this website. But please read their disclaimer first ...

http://www.immihelp.com/misc/disclaimer.html

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
不能自己翻 Apr 18, 2014

你翻了也需要拿去做notarization 或认证才能被移民局认为有效,就算你有资格做认证也不可以自己认证自己....

Fang Yuan
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 18, 2014

David Lin wrote:

如果是在英国,把翻译好的文件(须由合资格的翻译员处理)拿去可以做公证的律师事务所做 notarization 公证。相信美国也应该差不对。

Thank you, I will look into that.

Fang Yuan
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 18, 2014

wherestip wrote:

Most of the info regarding green card applications could be found on this website. But please read their disclaimer first ...

http://www.immihelp.com/misc/disclaimer.html

I find this website very helpful, thank you for sharing!

Fang Yuan
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
got it Apr 18, 2014

Rita Pang wrote:

你翻了也需要拿去做notarization 或认证才能被移民局认为有效,就算你有资格做认证也不可以自己认证自己....

Thank you!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
USCIS Official Website Apr 18, 2014

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/forms-and-fees/general-tips-assembling-applications-mailing

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

It seems like all you need to do is find someone who is fluent in both Chinese and English to translate your birth certificate for you, and have the person certify that he or she is qualified as a translator.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
immihelp tips on this Apr 18, 2014

The instructions given by that non-official website (immihelp) regarding the translation of a foreign birth certificate match with the general instructions given by the official USCIS website on the translation of foreign language documents ...

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/document-english-translation.html

So the way I see it, a
... See more
The instructions given by that non-official website (immihelp) regarding the translation of a foreign birth certificate match with the general instructions given by the official USCIS website on the translation of foreign language documents ...

So the way I see it, all you need is a signed statement from the person you ask to do the translation for you. As the tips from immihelp tell it, you don't even have to have it notarized since you're here in the US. But to be safe, I'd have the translator sign his statement in front of a notary public anyway. The fee is nominal, or even free.

However, that's only my understanding of what's needed. I haven't had firsthand experience on this.

[Edited at 2014-04-19 13:05 GMT]
Collapse

jingmlittlej (X)
jingmlittlej (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:56
English to Chinese
+ ...
我认为可以 Apr 30, 2014

细看USCIS的描述,并没有提到必须是第三方翻译,只是说必须要签一个申明,说明翻译人是有双语能力的。
我本来是打算自己翻的,但国内开出的出生证明附带了英文版(当然有附加费),也就没自己翻。但记得当时在查这方面信息的时候,看到有的论坛上有人自己翻,uscis也没说什么。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
I doubt it Apr 30, 2014

Well, not according to this website.

If you have a birth certificate, marriage certificate or any other document that is not originally in English, and you need to submit that document for immigration purposes, anyone who is fluent both in English and that language can tr
... See more
Well, not according to this website.

If you have a birth certificate, marriage certificate or any other document that is not originally in English, and you need to submit that document for immigration purposes, anyone who is fluent both in English and that language can translate that and provide the original translation along with the translated document and copy of the original document. However, please note that the petitioner or the beneficiary cannot translate the documents.

Even though you cannot translate the document yourself, please make sure that the translation is accurate. There have been instances where the official government or notary translators do not know basic English and there are numerous mistakes in the translation.
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
This lawyer says that the translator can't even be a close relative Apr 30, 2014

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/fiance-marriage-visa-book/chapter4-14.html

If you are applying for a visa, green card, or other U.S. immigration benefit, you will no doubt be asked to submit various documents -- perhaps your birth certificate, marriage certificate, and so on. However, if the documents you are submitting are in a language other than English, you may need to have them translated. (The exception would be if you are dealing with a U.S consulate in your home country that specifically assures you that it accepts documents in the language of that country.

If a translation is required, here is how to deal with this.
What Your Translation Must Include
You will need to submit both:
• a copy of the original document, and
• a certified, word-for-word translation.
A copy of the original document is needed to demonstrate that it's the real thing. Even if the immigration authorities can't read what it says, they need to see what it looks like, and compare it to their internal guidelines regarding what constitutes an acceptable document from your country. If, for example, it is missing the government stamps that the immigration officials are accustomed to seeing on such a certificate, it might be rejected.
A "word-for-word" translation is just what it sounds like: Not a summary, but an exact transcription of every word on the document, even if they seem irrelevant.

Who Should Do the Translation
You do not necessarily need to spend money hiring a certified translator. Any trustworthy friend who is fluent in English and the language of the document and is not your close relative is allowed to do the job. That person should, after typing out the (word-for-word) translated text, add the following language at the bottom:

I certify that I am competent to translate from [the language of the document] to English and that the above [identify the document and to whom it pertains; for example, “Birth Certificate of Maritza Malakoff”] is a correct and true translation to the best of my knowledge and belief.
Signed:     [translator’s full name]            
Address: __________________________________
Telephone: ________________________________
Date: _____________________________________
If you prefer, however, you can hire a professional translator. That person should also add the same certification at the bottom of the translation.

by: Ilona Bray, J.D.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
What a translation service provider says ... Apr 30, 2014

http://blog.rev.com/articles/translation/can-i-translate-my-birth-certificate-for-immigration/

Can I Translate My Own Birth Certificate for Immigration Purposes?

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that all foreign language documents are translated into English. One of the most common documents is your birth certificate. You need to provide a plain photocopy of the original document and its translation into English, which can be translated by a professional or anyone who is fluent both in English and your native language.

However, you cannot do it yourself if you are the petitioner or the beneficiary of this petition. Simply, can you translate your own birth certificate for immigration purposes? No.

You can hire a professional translator or you can ask someone who is confident enough in both languages to do an accurate translation from the original document. A translator must provide name, signature, address, and date of certification to comply with USCIS requirements.

A format for the certification that needs to appear on the translation, as suggested by USCIS is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature

To be complete, your birth certificate translation must contain the following information:

* Your complete name. All your names should be spelled out; initials are not sufficient
* Your date of birth (Day, Month, and Year)
* Your place of birth
* Names of both parents with all names spelled out
* Annotation by the authority indicating that this document is an extract from official records
* The name of the issuing office

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

出生公证的翻译

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »