i want to know what does this mean

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 06:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
Epic Apr 19, 2014

This is a fail on so many levels that I'm not sure it could have been by accident.

[Edited at 2014-04-19 15:43 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:29
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Gettin' down to the nitty gritty Apr 19, 2014

It's been a VERY long time since I've heard someone refer to a language or a script as a "code". Almost thought I was back in my linguistics classes right there and then.

This made for a good laugh.

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:29
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Why this forum for this question? Apr 19, 2014

It's a nice one for a laugh. But what does it have to do with 'Chinese' - I mean the question?

RBA1991
RBA1991
Lebanon
TOPIC STARTER
dear all Apr 20, 2014

Lincoln what is the fail? i will tell you!! the fail is that in this website i can't upload a picture of the sword!!

Rita Pang once again can you help me figure this out what does that chinese code mean

David Lin thank you for your concern !! check the link below!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140419074309AALMoYH

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:29
Chinese to English
Careful, Lincoln Apr 20, 2014

He's got a sword. And they don't forget insults quickly in the jianghu.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Where is the "code"? Apr 20, 2014

RBA1991 wrote:

Lincoln what is the fail? i will tell you!! the fail is that in this website i can't upload a picture of the sword!!

Rita Pang once again can you help me figure this out what does that chinese code mean

David Lin thank you for your concern !! check the link below!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140419074309AALMoYH

Thanks for your picture but I can't see any "code" there. Where is it?

RBA1991
RBA1991
Lebanon
TOPIC STARTER
misconception Apr 20, 2014

oh david I am sorry I am really sorry for using the term "code" what I meant was that if you plz can transalte this cryptograph for me

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:29
Chinese to English
+ ...
龍泉寶劍 Apr 20, 2014

RBA1991,

The response to the inquiry in your link is a correct answer. "龍泉" is the name of the place where the sword is made. "寶" means "treasured". "劍" means "sword".

Here's an image of another one of these swords ...

If you want to read up on this sword, here's the link to the article this image was taken from ...

http://www.hanjia123.com/index.php?a=article&l=0004&id=198

[Edited at 2014-04-20 22:51 GMT]

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:29
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Dragon head dai-lo Apr 21, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

He's got a sword. And they don't forget insults quickly in the jianghu.

As we Canton peeps put it, this might be one heck of a dragon head dai-lo.

Sorry RBA1991, here in this forum, we don't translate for free (at least I try not to). I see however that Steve has been super awesome and responded to your query. What he said is right on.

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Kudoz is the place for you to ask hard questions about translation, Not the Forum. Apr 21, 2014

RBA1991 wrote:

oh david I am sorry I am really sorry for using the term "code" what I meant was that if you plz can transalte this cryptograph for me

Hi RBA1991,

I understand your question now but would like to advise you the following:

1. What appears in your picture is a linguistic "inscription" on a sword. It is not of course a code or cryptograph. That was why your use of the word 'code' and even 'cryptograph' made people thought you were denigrating a national language. (Unless it was your intention)

2. Wrong place -- The Proz.com Forum is NOT a place for you to ask hard questions about translation. Kudoz is. You should post your question to Kudoz and you will get an answer from them. The most helpful answer chosen will be awarded Kudoz points. It is not necessary to invent new wheels, duplicate functions of two platforms in Proz.com and could easily cause confusion among users.

Thank you for your cooperation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ANCIENT CODE ON A SWORD!!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »