Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 16:57
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Beat that! Oct 26, 2006

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

*evil grin*

However, the Chinese term has only 3 characters--矽肺症.

Denyce

[Edited at 2006-10-26 13:23]

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 18:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's just a kids song Oct 26, 2006

Denyce Seow wrote:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

Geez, what does that word mean, anyway?
Denyce

It's just a kids song from an old Walt Disney movie called Mary Poppins that was made back in the 1960's. You wouldn't remember:) It's just an extension of super to mean that something is amazing, fantastic, etc....I think:)

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:57
Chinese to English
+ ...
Here are a few unpronounceable place names Oct 26, 2006

But I think it's cheating.

http://fun-with-words.com/longest_place_names.html

Native American place names actually aren't that long when translated to Chinese. I think it's because most of the consonants are ignored in the process. A few that are commonly known:

Punxsutawney, PA... See more
But I think it's cheating.

http://fun-with-words.com/longest_place_names.html

Native American place names actually aren't that long when translated to Chinese. I think it's because most of the consonants are ignored in the process. A few that are commonly known:

Punxsutawney, PA
Poughkeepsie, NY
Susquehanna River
the State of Connecticut

BTW, Philadelphia is translated into 费城. I wonder how it would fare if none of the syllables are left out?

And then you can use the word Philadelphian to boost the Chinese character count by one (人). Now that's really cheating.

[Edited at 2006-10-26 16:26]
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
法、德、俄、日....... Oct 26, 2006

不是從英文字翻譯過來的可以嗎?

[Edited at 2006-10-26 16:36]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
世界上最长的英文单词 Oct 26, 2006

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/107168.html

这是一个含有至少274个基团的丝氨酸,如果译成中文大约会有700多个字。

[Edited at 2006-10-27 02:59]

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
佩服佩服 Oct 26, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

http://zhidao.baidu.com/question/107168.html

[Edited at 2006-10-26 17:08]

我认输了!! You have the longest English word and the most number of Chinese characters for ONE English word. 绝 !!

Denyce

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Seriously speaking Oct 26, 2006

Seriously speaking, what should be the rate for translating this word? Or, how would you charge for translating such long chemical names?

I often translate long chemical names. If you use Microsoft Word to make a word count, the word-count would be about 30 English words on a single page. So, you can't use a "per English word" rate. Of course, one easy way is to set a rate per Chinese character in output document. Any other suggestions?

For example:
2-Chlo
... See more
Seriously speaking, what should be the rate for translating this word? Or, how would you charge for translating such long chemical names?

I often translate long chemical names. If you use Microsoft Word to make a word count, the word-count would be about 30 English words on a single page. So, you can't use a "per English word" rate. Of course, one easy way is to set a rate per Chinese character in output document. Any other suggestions?

For example:
2-Chloro-N-cyclohexyl-5-[3-(5-oxo-4,5-dihydro-1,3,4-oxadiazol-2-ylmethyl)-1H-indol-2-yl]-benzenesulfonamide
2-氯-N-环己基-5-[3-(5-氧代-4,5-二氢-1,3,4-噁二唑-2-基甲基)-1H-吲哚-2-基]-苯磺酰胺

This is not the longest chemical name I have ever translated, but it's typical. Quite often, there are 400-500 such long chemical names in just one pharmaceutical patent.

[Edited at 2006-10-26 19:52]
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
To pkchan and Yueyin Oct 26, 2006

pkchan wrote:

不是從英文字翻譯過來的可以嗎?

我们这轮玩英中,改天再来玩法中、德中、俄中和日中,好吗?

Yueyin wrote:
How would you charge for translating such long chemical names?

你给的那个例子有21个中文字,我想那么这个英文化学名你至少得同客户要US$2-4。这就好象有些人翻译广告词每个字可以要上US$10-15。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
用户应予合理补偿 Oct 26, 2006

Denyce Seow wrote:
你给的那个例子有21个中文字,我想那么这个英文化学名你至少得同客户要US$2-4。这就好象有些人翻译广告词每个字可以要上US$10-15。

你的建议不错。如果还按MS Word来算字数,翻译者和审稿者就亏大了。一般的文件平均每页约300 words (font 12),而且其中含有大量的'a'和'the',而满页是这种化学名词的专利,每页只有约30 'words'。好在用户答应给予合理补偿。

Dr. Jason Faulkner
Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:57
Spanish to English
All those wasted hours! Oct 27, 2006

Denyce Seow wrote:

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

*evil grin*

However, the Chinese term has only 3 characters--矽肺症.

Denyce

[Edited at 2006-10-26 13:23]

I gotta learn Chinese! Imagine how much faster I could have studied medicine if they would have just shortened the words. Looks like I have a new hobby for the winter.

Xìe xìe! (still don't know how to use the Chinese character set in Windows!)

Jason

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome! Oct 27, 2006

I am very glad to see that more and more non-native Chinese speakers, like Mark, Inga, Stefanie, Lesley and Jason, just to name a few, have joined discussions in the Chinese-English community. Welcome!

[Edited at 2006-10-27 03:45]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 20:57
Chinese to English
Welcome to you too! Oct 27, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

I am very glad to see that more and more non-native Chinese speakers, like Mark, Inga, Stefanie, Lesley and Jason, just to name a few, have joined discussions in the Chinese-English community. Welcome!

[Edited at 2006-10-27 03:45]

Welcome to our Am-Eng speaking peers too! Though it is very hard for me to say that...being a one-eyed BrEng supporter...

(touche)

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
The longest chemical name Oct 27, 2006

I underestimated the length of its Chinese name. The translated Chinese name contains 1,188 Chinese characters. Because of repetition of the radicals, it didn't take too much time. I found a few typos in the English name during translation.

蛋氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基精氨酰基酪氨酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基精氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基�
... See more
I underestimated the length of its Chinese name. The translated Chinese name contains 1,188 Chinese characters. Because of repetition of the radicals, it didn't take too much time. I found a few typos in the English name during translation.

蛋氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基精氨酰基酪氨酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基精氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基甘氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基脯氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基赖氨酰基组氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基甘氨酰基亮氨酰基蛋氨酰基酪氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基赖氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基天冬氨酰基丝氨酰基缬氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基半胱氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基酪氨酰基甘氨酰基精氨酰基甘氨酰基酪氨酰基苏氨酰基酪氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基丝氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基组氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基赖氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基酪氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基甘氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基甘氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基脯氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基脯氨酰基蛋氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基精氨酰基丝氨酸
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
WOW Oct 27, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

蛋氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基精氨酰基酪氨酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基精氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基甘氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基脯氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基赖氨酰基组氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基甘氨酰基亮氨酰基蛋氨酰基酪氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基赖氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基天冬氨酰基丝氨酰基缬氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基半胱氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基酪氨酰基甘氨酰基精氨酰基甘氨酰基酪氨酰基苏氨酰基酪氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基丝氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基组氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基赖氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基酪氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基甘氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基甘氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基脯氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基脯氨酰基蛋氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基精氨酰基丝氨酸

Yueyin,

Don't tell me you actually spent time translating that!

远看像座影壁上的碑文

[Edited at 2006-10-27 11:47]

Fan Gao
Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 18:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Yueyin Oct 27, 2006

Hi Yueyin and everybody,

Great work on the translation! Just want to say "thanks" for the welcome. It's great to feel like part of the family:)

Best wishes,
Mark

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Competition Time! Find the English word with the most Chinese characters

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »