I am planning to acquire a translation accreditation. NAATI, ATA or IoL?
Thread poster: feller (X)
feller (X)
feller (X)

Local time: 00:28
English to Chinese
Mar 6, 2007

Dear All,

I am planning to acquire a translation accreditation, in purpose of building new connections with international clients or agencies. NAATI, ATA, IoL or the others, I am wondering which would better serve my goal.

I have been an English-Chinese translator for 2 years, in Taiwan. Though I am currently an in-house translator in an art museum, I have translated many business documents. (I have a BA in business management and a minor in English. My native language
... See more
Dear All,

I am planning to acquire a translation accreditation, in purpose of building new connections with international clients or agencies. NAATI, ATA, IoL or the others, I am wondering which would better serve my goal.

I have been an English-Chinese translator for 2 years, in Taiwan. Though I am currently an in-house translator in an art museum, I have translated many business documents. (I have a BA in business management and a minor in English. My native language in Chinese, Taiwan Style.)

Thank you for your advice!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-06 10:27]
Collapse

Birgit Richter
Birgit Richter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:28
English to German
+ ...
T/I qualification Mar 6, 2007

It depends which clients you wish to target. I don't know about NAATI, but the ATA-accreditation is linked to ATA-membership, i.e. it ceases upon termination of membership, while the IoL qualification (Dip Trans) does not require membership of the IoL (though passing the exam might entitle you to membership).

Julian Wood
Julian Wood  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:28
Czech to English
+ ...
Don't worry too much Mar 9, 2007

Hi
I read your post with interest, as I'm also at the stage of deciding on some accreditation
I would say that, provided you're not doing just for the letters, pick an organisation which you feel would support you as a translator- whether that is from a social, professional, educational or any other aspect
I may well join the ITI as they have been very helpful with their regional group, and seem to be a friendly bunch of people- guess it depends what you're after

Olga Watkin (X)
Olga Watkin (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:28
English to Russian
I have looked at all of these options... Mar 16, 2007

and have decided to take the IoL Diploma in Translation exam (still waiting for the results). There is a good distance preparation course for this from City University of London. ATA is not an option for me because I personally don't have any connections with the US, but, on the other hand have a strong one with the UK. NAATI sounds good, so I may consider taking their exam, too, since I live so close to Australia at the moment. But the ultimate goal for me is ITI membership.

nada5252
nada5252
Jordan
Local time: 19:28
Arabic to English
I have the same issue Mar 2, 2014

I also want to acquire a translation certification and i wonder which is better ATA or NAATI
i would appreciate your feedback

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
Exactly how I think about it! Mar 2, 2014

Julian Wood wrote:

Hi
I read your post with interest, as I'm also at the stage of deciding on some accreditation
I would say that, provided you're not doing just for the letters, pick an organisation which you feel would support you as a translator- whether that is from a social, professional, educational or any other aspect
I may well join the ITI as they have been very helpful with their regional group, and seem to be a friendly bunch of people- guess it depends what you're after

Thanks for posting!

This is the same way I think about it. I say that the main thing is to feel supported as a professional. I mean, that's the root of why I need to be a member of a professional association. But I know translators with good income (including myself, still) who don't have any memberships.

The way I've thought about it, it seems the best point of departure is not to have too high expectations. I will go into my associations from the bottom membership, unless the administrative staff insists that I go for another membership degree. Then I'll take it slow. That way it's easy and painless to get out in time.

There are two marketing points I look for too. The membership should ultimately emphasize my a) years of experience and b) ability to translate.

For the former, I will use SFÖ (a Swedish association that's reliable when it comes to verifying the years of experience of their members, which is a two-fer considering that it's also a Swedish membership, for whatever that's worth.) I've already been in touch with them for many years, so this is just a matter of applying etc.

For the latter, Kammarkollegiet is reliable, but I try to avoid legal, political and economic text subjects. I would like to see if I can become a member sometime, but right now that's not important.

I would have chosen ITI if I believed that it was more difficult to pass their tests than those for the DipTrans by IoL. Basically, I want there to be a test that's known to be really difficult to pass, and I think IoL stands out there. At least when I look at old exams, they seem to be corrected carefully and accurately.

ATA has such a horrible reputation (heard from translators 'in real') that I'm not considering any memberships there for the time being. Also, in my experience, US rates tend to be lower than European, and I don't want to receive USDs if I can avoid it.

There, now I'm in this topic too!
Mark

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 18:28
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Translation certificate Mar 2, 2014

Hi Nada 5252 Words language Services Ireland are very good, have a very high standard too, just communication was difficult as there were a lot of rules-you cannot ask about notes you do not understand for example, which I find unreasonable- and I do not know if they have your language pairs, otherwise surprisingly high standard and various options too-certificate/diploma/IOL preparation course too. Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I am planning to acquire a translation accreditation. NAATI, ATA or IoL?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »