Thread poster: ChristinaSvane
ChristinaSvane
ChristinaSvane
Local time: 17:03
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 21, 2009

Hi all

I am pretty new in here and have been translating for a client in word.

My question is this..

How do I count words in Microsoft Word? I am being paid pr source word.

PS: I have a Mac, don't know if that makes any difference?

Kind regards
Christina

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:03
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Tools menu, Word Count Jul 21, 2009

Unless the Mac version of Word differs, which I doubt, go to the Tools menu and then Word Count, which will give you a word count (and also a character count) for the document you have open.
You are lucky to have a client who supplies you with files in Word, more often work comes in the form of pdf files, in which word counting is more of a problem.

[Edited at 2009-07-21 08:58 GMT]

Elsje Apostel
Elsje Apostel  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
extra -> word count Jul 21, 2009

Cristina,

On top of your word screen, there's the extra-option, click that & you'll get the possibility to choose word count or count words

Daiana Siri
Daiana Siri
Argentina
Local time: 13:03
English to Spanish
Tools > Word Count Jul 21, 2009

Hi Christina!

To get a word count of your document, go to Tools > Word Count. This will give you the total number of words in your document.
If you need to word-count a specific section, highlight that section first by clicking and dragging over it and then to go Tools > Word Count as before.

Here is a document you
... See more
Hi Christina!

To get a word count of your document, go to Tools > Word Count. This will give you the total number of words in your document.
If you need to word-count a specific section, highlight that section first by clicking and dragging over it and then to go Tools > Word Count as before.

Here is a document you might find useful

http://www.bgsu.edu/downloads/cio/file19292.pdf

Hope it helps
Daiana
Collapse

Daniela Zhusti
Daniela Zhusti
Albania
Local time: 18:03
Member (2009)
English to Albanian
+ ...
In Office 2007 Jul 21, 2009

Hi there,

If you have Office 2007, you won't find TOOLS, but you can go to REVIEW tab, and there you'll find "word count".

It's also easier than that, cause Microsoft Word 2007 has already an automatic word count on the bottom of the page on the left corner... Right next to the number of pages. You just have to select all the document (ctrl+A) and the number of word will be displayed there, or just select the words you want to count (or paragraph) and ti will tell you
... See more
Hi there,

If you have Office 2007, you won't find TOOLS, but you can go to REVIEW tab, and there you'll find "word count".

It's also easier than that, cause Microsoft Word 2007 has already an automatic word count on the bottom of the page on the left corner... Right next to the number of pages. You just have to select all the document (ctrl+A) and the number of word will be displayed there, or just select the words you want to count (or paragraph) and ti will tell you the number of words toward total number of words in the entire document.

Given that a document has a total of 1000 words, when you select just a paragraph of 350 words, you'll see below at the left corner (see my above explanation) :

Words: 350/1000

Hope I was clear on that. Write back for anything else that's unclear to you.

Good work!
Dani
Collapse

Faruk Atabeyli
Faruk Atabeyli  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:03
English to Turkish
+ ...
Toolbar Jul 21, 2009

Christina

If you expect to use the wordcount feature frequently (I do), make it visible on your toolbar by clicking View > Toolbars > Wordcount.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word counting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »