How do we count only the words in tables and not the data and numbers?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 13:05
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2009

We have a very large translation project on 200,000 'words' medical text/formulas. It contain a lot of tables with medical formulas. Some of the tables contain raw data, and I suppose we don't charge anything for these, just copy the images?

The translation is from English into simplified Chinese.

Some of the tables are mixed: how can we separate what is merely numbers and raw data (and
... See more

We have a very large translation project on 200,000 'words' medical text/formulas. It contain a lot of tables with medical formulas. Some of the tables contain raw data, and I suppose we don't charge anything for these, just copy the images?

The translation is from English into simplified Chinese.

Some of the tables are mixed: how can we separate what is merely numbers and raw data (and consequently are not charged because they are not translated) from what is words? Is there any software for this? We need to do an exact word-count on what is only words, excluding the raw data and numbers in these mixed tables.

Our customer asked us explicitly for a solution on this. So we need somehow be able to differentiate the word-count for raw data and whole words in these mixed tables.
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Trados analysis is a good solution.. Nov 13, 2009

HI! Trados as a matter of default does not count numbers. The analysis reflects numer of words, segments, repeats etc., Brandis

Ljiljana Krstic
Ljiljana Krstic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Slow but works Nov 13, 2009

was and will always be a problem(
I know only 2 ways, both slow, but efficient: you highlight all the words in the text (in tables as well) and then go to Wordcount or you highlight the all the numbers, go to Wordcount and reduce the numebr you get from the Total Wordcount. Good luck!
If you find any faster way, please share it)

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
German to English
+ ...
Counting words in tables in Word 2000 Nov 13, 2009

Ljiljana Krstic wrote:
... you highlight all the words in the text (in tables as well) and then go to Wordcount or you highlight the all the numbers, go to Wordcount and reduce the numebr you get from the Total Wordcount. ..

(I don't know how much of this applies to versions of Word later than 2000).
The above doesn't always work in tables (in Word 2000). In a document containing "ordinary" text and text in tables, the word counts are the following (when I use Tools > Word count...):

• Don't select anything: all text (in tables and not in tables);
  • Select some non-table text: words in selected text;
  • Select rows of a table, using the mouse pointer to the left of the rows: the text in the selected rows;
  • Select columns or cells of a table any other way: all text (complete document).

When I want to count words in a column of a table I do this:
1. Count the words in the whole document (N1)
2. Select the column and press "Delete" or Ctrl+X
3. Count the words in the whole document again (N2)
4. Calculate: the column contained N1-N2 words (I usually use the calculator that comes with Windows - I have a short-cut icon for it on my desktop. In my Windows XP it's in C:\WINDOWS\system32\calc.exe or, it's in the list of Accessories in the list of Programs).
5. Press Ctrl+Z to undo the delete, and/or File > Exit without saving the document.

To distinguish between words and numbers you could use the same principle (deleting what you want to count and seeing what difference it makes to the total count) and use "Replace" (Ctrl+H) and wild cards to delete just numbers between doing two of the counts.

I hope this is useful to somebody!
Oliver

[Edited at 2009-11-13 12:01 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados skips untranslatables Nov 13, 2009

Analyse the text using TWB. It ignores segments containing figures only.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Remove numbers Nov 14, 2009

If the raw data is just numbers, you could just remove them with search and replace. If these are MS Word files, make a copy of the file and replace numbers (^#) with nothing in it. This should remove all numbers from both tables and anywhere else.
If you have lots of formulas and whatnot, it may not be feasible to remove them like this. A Trados analysis might be your best bet.

qabiria
qabiria  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Use a macro Nov 15, 2009

hi,

provided that it would be easier if we could take a look at a sample of your text, here it is a procedure that may help you.

Rather than going step-by-step, I will tell you the basic principles. My suggestion is to give this information to your IT guys and ask them to create the macro for you. Or you can hire an external professional doing this for you.

The idea is that you create a macro to tag all tables and exclude them from the wordcount. How? The "
... See more
hi,

provided that it would be easier if we could take a look at a sample of your text, here it is a procedure that may help you.

Rather than going step-by-step, I will tell you the basic principles. My suggestion is to give this information to your IT guys and ask them to create the macro for you. Or you can hire an external professional doing this for you.

The idea is that you create a macro to tag all tables and exclude them from the wordcount. How? The "search" function of MS Word has an option where you can go to a specific table (third tab when you click on Search). You should loop this search, in order to find every table in the document. Once you have the mouse pointer (the insertion point) inside the table, you should use the command "Select this table" to highlight its content. Then you change the Style of the table text, for instance using the External Tag style by SDL-Trados (called tw4winexternal). Save the file and use SDL-Trados or another CAT tool where you can define a specific Style that should not be counted. By default, Trados will not count all text marked as tw4winexternal.

Obviously, this only works with tables where ALL text is to be skipped. For the mixed tables, the only option is try to recognize some pattern that can be selected (for instance with a regular expression). If there is no pattern, then you're stuck. It can only be manually marked as untranslatable.

Hope it helps.

Feel free to contact me in private if you need further help.

Best regards

Marco Cevoli
Qabiria
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »