Multiple MS Office editions on same computer
Thread poster: Ismael Torres
Ismael Torres
Ismael Torres
Local time: 09:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 17, 2009

Has anyone had to run two different editions of MS Office Word on the same computer? I have an MS Offce edition (which includes Word) on my PC. But I want to get a separate MS Word 2007 to use solely for translation business purpose. Will I ran into problems if have a MS Offce edition and a separate MS Word 2007 running on the same computer? Any advice on what should I do?

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:29
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Don't know for Office 2007 Nov 17, 2009

But, yes, you can as a matter of principle run different Office versions on your PC. I have myself Office 97 and 2003.

You only should make sure to install them in two different directories. And of course say "No" when you are asked during the installation whether the other version should be overwritten. Very important: install e.g. the version 2000 BEFORE version 2003 (always the older version first) and not the other way round!

HTH!

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes but not Outlook Nov 17, 2009

But, yes, you can as a matter of principle run different Office versions on your PC. I have myself Office 97 and 2003.

You only should make sure to install them in two different directories. And of course say "No" when you are asked during the installation whether the other version should be overwritten. Very important: install e.g. the version 2000 BEFORE version 2003 (always the older version first) and not the other way round!

Yes, this is true but keep in mind that you can only have one version of Outlook installed, the most recent.

More info on possible issues here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/

Daniel

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 06:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Might it be easier to use the enabled optional features of MS Office 2007 suite? Nov 17, 2009

Greetings.

It might it be easier to use the convenient optional features of the MS Office 2007 suite.

You might benefit especially from using those options which are inside MS Word 2007 and MS PowerPoint 2007.

You can select a desired format during the "save as" [select which format desired] function when you are either creating a document or after you have read one received in a different format, i.e., [file title].docx ==> [file title].doc, or vice versa
... See more
Greetings.

It might it be easier to use the convenient optional features of the MS Office 2007 suite.

You might benefit especially from using those options which are inside MS Word 2007 and MS PowerPoint 2007.

You can select a desired format during the "save as" [select which format desired] function when you are either creating a document or after you have read one received in a different format, i.e., [file title].docx ==> [file title].doc, or vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Kurdish,
and Persian
San Pedro, California

[Edited at 2009-11-17 23:27 GMT]
Collapse

Ismael Torres
Ismael Torres
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MS Office 2007 plus Word 2007 Nov 17, 2009

Well, I have MS Office 2007 installed on my computer now, and I plan to install Word 2007 to be used with a Word-based CAT tool. I wondered if anyone had any problems in doing so. I won't be installing another Outlook. I guess it should be a piece of cake. Right?

[Edited at 2009-11-17 23:40 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:29
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
On Linux, Nov 18, 2009

you simply use Crossover Professional and can install any number of MS Office instances (even of the same version) into different bottles, and they won’t interfere each with other.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:29
Spanish
+ ...
MS Office 2003 and 2007 Nov 18, 2009

I have MS Office 2003 and for a while I had the trial version of MS Office 2007. Everything worked well right off the bat (I never checked Outlook so I don't know about that), except for the shortcuts and Open with.. settings, but those issues are easy to configure.

Ismael Torres
Ismael Torres
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone Nov 19, 2009

I talked to MS and they said there would be no conflict. So far I haven't had any problems and I hope it stays that way. Thanks to everyone; second opinions are always appreciated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple MS Office editions on same computer

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »