clicking on a Word file opens two windows
Thread poster: EHI (X)
EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 12:02
Jan 5, 2010

I have a small problem: whenever I double-click on a Word file, two windows open - the Word file I clicked on and a blank "Document1" window.
Does anybody know how I can prevent the "Document1" window from opening?

I am running Windows 7 with Office 2007.
Thanks.

Georgios Zoumpoulidis
Georgios Zoumpoulidis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
English to Greek
+ ...
Many possibilities... Jan 5, 2010

... but if you/any recently installed program (Adobe is a usual suspect!) toyed with Word's templates, deleting the default normal.dot and any conflicting/damaged .dot and/or .dotm files will do the trick.

(Deleting the default normal .dot (or .dotm) is not a problem, as it will be recreated, but you will lose all modifications to it).

Hope it helps!

David Wright
David Wright  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 12:02
German to English
+ ...
Advantage Jan 6, 2010

This might be an advantage, since it means that if you are working with one text only, when you close it you don't close the entire Word programme so that when you open the next file you have to start it all up again (which is what my problem is!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

clicking on a Word file opens two windows

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »