Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:51
Dutch to French
+ ...
Nov 3, 2012

Hi y'all

Can anyone explain to me how to open 2 PowerPoint windows, side by side.

I've just translated 98 slides in PowerPoint with Werecat and Wordfast. Everything went just fine, but I'd like to compare translation and source to see if anything's missing...

However, when I open each file, they show in one PowerPoint window...

Is there a way to open 2 windows? I use Office 2007 on Windows 7.

Tks in advance!
Elisabeth

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Go to "View" tab Nov 3, 2012

and hit the "Cascade". Both documents will appear in the general PowerPoint window.
Now you can arrange the documents manually side by side.
THT,
Natalia

Robbie Jia
Robbie Jia  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 17:51
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
print source ppt into PDF file , then open PDF and ppt , now it is ok Nov 3, 2012

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bingo! Nov 3, 2012

Hi Natalia

Thank you so much. I got used to Word 2007 but PowerPoint is still a mystery to me...

Work will be much easier this way!

Have a nice weekend
Elisabeth

NataliaShevchuk
NataliaShevchuk  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Elisabeth, Nov 3, 2012

you are welcome
Same applies to Excel.

[Edited at 2012-11-03 20:10 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Viewer instead of editor Nov 4, 2012

coolcheng wrote:
print source ppt into PDF file , then open PDF and ppt , now it is ok

That points to the right direction.

Why not use a lean viewer if you don't want to edit? Using a viewer you'll never modify the wrong doc inandvertently. MS offers free viewers for Office.

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I do want to edit... Nov 4, 2012

Rolf Keller wrote:

coolcheng wrote:
print source ppt into PDF file , then open PDF and ppt , now it is ok

Yes, but Natalia's solution is much simpler

Why not use a lean viewer if you don't want to edit? Using a viewer you'll never modify the wrong doc inandvertently. MS offers free viewers for Office.

Thats the point, I need to make corrections, shorten, change police etc. So I do need an editable document. I just wanted them to be shown side by side, in order not to miss anything in the source ppt.

Elisabeth

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Missed point? Nov 4, 2012

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen wrote:

Thats the point, I need to make corrections, shorten, change police etc. So I do need an editable document. I just wanted them to be shown side by side, in order not to miss anything in the source ppt.

Elisabeth, I think what coolcheng and Rolf meant was to use your SOURCE document in PDF or lean viewer; your TARGET document would of course remain in 'normal' PPT and be editable.

The advantage of these alternative solutions would be that you would be protected from indavertently making an unwanted change to the source document by mistake

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I need to keep both in ppt format Nov 4, 2012

Tks Coolcheng, but I do need 2 ppt's side by side, not a pdf

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Somebody understands me. :-))))) Nov 4, 2012

Tony M wrote:

I think what coolcheng and Rolf meant was to use your SOURCE document in PDF or lean viewer; your TARGET document would of course remain in 'normal' PPT and be editable.

Quite right.

Actually, my PC ist specially configured for this, because - generally - reading documents happens more often than editing them. So, when I click a doc(x), the viewer opens instead of Word. In order to open a doc(x) that contains a translation I'm working on I use Word's Recent Documents list.

BTW, a viewer is less susceptible for malware (e. g. embedded macros).

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, no point missed at all Nov 4, 2012

Tony M wrote:

Elisabeth, I think what coolcheng and Rolf meant was to use your SOURCE document in PDF or lean viewer; your TARGET document would of course remain in 'normal' PPT and be editable.

The advantage of these alternative solutions would be that you would be protected from indavertently making an unwanted change to the source document by mistake

Hi Tony

I did understand what he means quite well. Inadvertent changes do not matter... I can just close the source ppt and take another copy of it from my mailbox....

I need the source as a .ppt, to be able to check the font in just zero or one click, for instance (sometimes font is changed automatically when translating with a TAO) and apply it to the translation, in PDF that is a lot less simple...

The 'easy' solution I was searching for was Natalia's "cascade" solution. Nothing to do, just change 'View' and bingo, you have 2 files in one window, all you need is to arrange them inside that one window...

Tks to all of you for your quick help! PPT file has been checked and sent back to customer and I can enjoy a nice rainy Sunday now

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
But you didn't explain that at first Nov 4, 2012

I need the source as a .ppt, to be able to check the font in just zero or one click, for instance...

Ah yes, now that rather changes things; you didn't say at the outset that you needed to remain able to actually enter the original source document.

As you say, the 'cascade' feature seems to be all you need here.

Do you get on OK with Werecat? I swear by it, though just once or twice have encountered little hiccups; but it has saved my bacon on a great many occasions!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday — it's rainy here too

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Werecat Nov 4, 2012

Tony M wrote:

Ah yes, now that rather changes things; you didn't say at the outset that you needed to remain able to actually enter the original source document.

My question was simple.... how to open 2 windows of "PPT" to view them side by side.

As you say, the 'cascade' feature seems to be all you need here.

Exactly

Do you get on OK with Werecat? I swear by it, though just once or twice have encountered little hiccups; but it has saved my bacon on a great many occasions!

I forgot a little about Werecat in fact... Generally I refuse PPTs, hate those things because the people who make them often don't know how to use the programme and the slides are mere nightmares.

I tried WFPro first... quite a desaster. Then I remembered Werecat and tried it, and it was just as if I translated normally... No hiccups, no problem whatsoever.

The only thing is that I just can't remember the difference between Werecat Red and Blue. I thought one paw was to take out the text and the other to return it, but when I clicked it to send back the translation to the ppt I got an error message informing me I probably meant Werecat Red....

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
50 shades of Werecat Nov 4, 2012

Well, 2, anyway!

...Then I remembered Werecat and tried it, and it was just as if I translated normally... No hiccups, no problem whatsoever.

The only thing is that I just can't remember the difference between Werecat Red and Blue. I thought one paw was to take out the text and the other to return it, but when I clicked it to send back the translation to the ppt I got an error message informing me I probably meant Werecat Red....

That's the slightly less user friendly side of this handy little utility!

If I recall correctly, the Red paw is to both extract and send back text from/to PPT, while the Blue paw does it for .DOC files. This dual action of the button assumes a standard, simple workflow, i.e. extract text > process > re-insert text into the same file. So it does require you to be quite methodical (sadly, something I'm not!)

Clearly, for this in/out process to work, you must have ONLY the relevant doc, ppt, etc. open and no others (otherwise the poor thing will get confused!)

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Hm. Nov 4, 2012

My question was simple.... how to open 2 windows of "PPT" to view them side by side.

So it must have been an alien who completed your question with "I'd like to compare translation and source to see if anything's missing..."

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to open 2 windows of PowerPoint

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »