Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 11, 2013

Hello everyone

Since a while ago my MS Word changes the curly apostrophe's font to MS Mincho whenever I perform find/replace with curly apostrophes. And the curly apostrophe in MS Mincho is resilient -- even if I use the format painter to paint it something else, it remains MS Mincho. The only way to change an MS Mincho curly apostrophe to an curly apostrophe in the surrounding font, is to select the apostrophe using my mouse and manually change the font using the font dropdown me
... See more
Hello everyone

Since a while ago my MS Word changes the curly apostrophe's font to MS Mincho whenever I perform find/replace with curly apostrophes. And the curly apostrophe in MS Mincho is resilient -- even if I use the format painter to paint it something else, it remains MS Mincho. The only way to change an MS Mincho curly apostrophe to an curly apostrophe in the surrounding font, is to select the apostrophe using my mouse and manually change the font using the font dropdown menu. And if I then select and copy that corrected curly apostrophe and paste it elsewhere, it becomes MS Mincho again. The problem does not happen with straight apostrophes, nor does it happen with curly quotes.

Also, since a while ago my Format dialog sports extra options for Asian fonts, which I don't need and would not have requested knowingly. This may be related to the MS Mincho "infection" that I have.

Does this sound familiar, and do you know of a cure?

I'm using MS Word 2003 on Windows 7 64.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found it... Feb 11, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
Also, since a while ago my Format dialog sports extra options for Asian fonts, which I don't need and would not have requested knowingly. This may be related to the MS Mincho "infection" that I have.

Found the answer in the first reply in this thread:
http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=40221

Note: Windows will ask you for your Office install CD when you change the settings. In my case, for some reason Japanese got added to my list of supported languages. I just removed it, and my Format dialog was back to the way it was. I hope the MS Mincho problem is now also sorted.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Thanks Feb 11, 2013

Thanks for letting us know, Samuel. Good to know in case it happens. I remember using Asian support in Word at some time, but fortunately I didn't use autoformat, otherwise I too might have had a fight with MS Mincho over the quotes.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:17
Finnish to French
OCR programs / PDF converters Feb 15, 2013

FWIW, the presence of Asian fonts in documents that otherwise only include European languages is often caused by OCR programs or PDF converters such as ABBYY FineReader etc.

Does the document in question look like it could have been created by such a software?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Feb 15, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Does the document in question look like it could have been created by such a software?

No, it is an uncleaned RTF-like file that was created by me from a plaintext file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Mincho "virus" in my MS Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »