Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever compared your prices/services to your peers'?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:46
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Initially yes Jan 5, 2023

I compared my rates to those of others that I found on the web or to information on sites like ProZ.com when I just started out, but these days I set my own rates and/or I respond to rates suggested by clients.

Christopher Schröder
Hayley Wakenshaw

Hayley Wakenshaw
Hayley Wakenshaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:46
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
Peer rates are a good guide but I'm flexible Jan 9, 2023

Samuel Murray wrote:

I compared my rates to those of others that I found on the web or to information on sites like ProZ.com when I just started out, but these days I set my own rates and/or I respond to rates suggested by clients.

I use the Proz.com rates guidance. But I keep in mind that they are based on everyone's rates, including those for medical and legal translation. I do general and creative translation, so I don't expect to get that much.

I also look on the web to see what other people are charging from time to time.

I have a preferred or target rate, but most of my clients pay me a little less than this. If a client says my rate is too high for their margins, I'll discount it if it means the difference between work and no work. But this per-word rate should still provide me with an acceptable hourly rate. I won't work give more than 30% off, and that level of discount is for easy jobs that I can translate almost without thinking. I won't be transcreating or doing much – if any – research for that rate.

On a couple of occasions, clients have said my rate wasn't high enough and paid me more. These are the clients who understand that paying more for a good translation is faster, and better for their bottom line in the end.

(It does seem that rates have not increased at all over the last decade. But that's a whole other conversation.)

[Edited at 2023-01-09 13:32 GMT]

Evgeny Sidorenko
Baran Keki

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever compared your prices/services to your peers'?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »