João Pedro de Sousa Costa
João Pedro de Sousa Costa
Brazil
Local time: 23:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 10, 2022

I found it on Freelancer.com.

After talking with them on the chat, they directed me to whatsapp, where they explained to me that she worked with Lionbridge and what was required from me.

Then, they sent me a small text to translate right there so they could see if I do have the skills necessary. Twenty min. later (the time they gave me to translate it), I sent it back.

After (they said) they reviewed it, they sent me a Telegram link, so I could talk to the
... See more
I found it on Freelancer.com.

After talking with them on the chat, they directed me to whatsapp, where they explained to me that she worked with Lionbridge and what was required from me.

Then, they sent me a small text to translate right there so they could see if I do have the skills necessary. Twenty min. later (the time they gave me to translate it), I sent it back.

After (they said) they reviewed it, they sent me a Telegram link, so I could talk to the project manager. We talked, they sent me a number of projects I could choose from. 300pages/10 days, 500pages/15 days, 700pages/20 days-deadline. I chose one, and they sent me a contract to sign and send back, and I should wait for it to be processed. After a few hours, he asked me to confirm if I had received 10 emails with 30 pages attached each. I had. I have been working on it for the past days, asking the PM on Telegram for any doubt I may have, and he does answer to my questions after some time.

So, basically, I'm worried that this might be a scam. Can you help me? Have anyone been in a similar situation?

The emails were sent from the address the so-called LIONBRIDGE MANAGEMENT BOARD ([email protected])
The payment methods they offered are PayPal, Skrill, Binance, Netteler, and Payeer.

[Editada em 2022-05-10 16:32 GMT]

[Editada em 2022-05-10 16:36 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
BEWARE May 10, 2022

João Pedro de Sousa Costa wrote:
The emails were sent from the address the so-called LIONBRIDGE MANAGEMENT BOARD ([email protected])

In addition to several suspicious items, a GMAIL email addresss? A VERY RED FLAG. Emails should come from the LIONBRIDGE server, LIONBRIDGE.COM.

I am sorry to tell you this, but you should have done the due diligence BEFORE taking or accepting any job.
Yes, it really looks to be scam. I would advise not to proceed further and try to collect from what you have done so far.

Wish you luck.

Baran Keki
Yolanda Broad
Dalia Nour
Jennifer Levey
expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:03
Danish to English
+ ...
Scam, not from the company you mention May 10, 2022

The company you mention doesn't use Gmail for email and almost no decent agency does. They use their own domains, so if someone claims to represent an agency and uses Gmail or similar, you can be 99% sure it's a scam. Cut your losses and run. A decent agency doesn't behave this way either.

Freelancer.com is full of scammers, crooks, fraudsters, thieves and the like.

By the way, you should edit your post to remove the legitimate company name, as it's against the forum ru
... See more
The company you mention doesn't use Gmail for email and almost no decent agency does. They use their own domains, so if someone claims to represent an agency and uses Gmail or similar, you can be 99% sure it's a scam. Cut your losses and run. A decent agency doesn't behave this way either.

By the way, you should edit your post to remove the legitimate company name, as it's against the forum rules to discuss named agencies, and it wasn't that agency that contacted you.
Collapse

Baran Keki
Yolanda Broad
Dalia Nour
expressisverbis
Stepan Konev
Philip Lees
Ester Vidal

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:03
English to Russian
What is that suspicious here? May 10, 2022

It could be suspicious if they emailed to you from lionbridge.com domain. In this case, with @gmail.com, it is absolutely obvious they have nothing to do with Lionbridge.

Dalia Nour
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Ester Vidal
Philippe Etienne
Baran Keki
Mr. Satan (X)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Be very aware of these schemes in the future May 10, 2022

Before dealing with any companies for the first time, always take a look at Translator scam alert center:

https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts

This ATA's article I find it particularly useful too. You can find good resources/links on scams:

... See more
Before dealing with any companies for the first time, always take a look at Translator scam alert center:

https://www.proz.com/about/translator-scam-alerts

This ATA's article I find it particularly useful too. You can find good resources/links on scams:

https://www.ata-chronicle.online/cover-feature/translation-scams-reloaded/

And remember this saying: "if it is too good to be true, it probably isn’t", which means no one or one situation is perfect, so be cautious and prudent, and look for the red flags; a "gmail" address as others have already said is a trap!

Be skeptical of unlikely things that could benefit you and don't trust, verify first.

[Edited at 2022-05-10 21:34 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Philip Lees
Philippe Etienne
Mr. Satan (X)
Marwa Seleem
Maria Virgínia Barros
Michele Fauble

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:03
German to English
This might not be a translation scam, but one more insidious May 11, 2022

I recently read an article (forgot to bookmark it, sorry) about ostensible "interviews" via messaging apps. The scammer allegedly tries to hire the target to provide services, but is in reality collecting personal information (bank info, telephone number, etc.) to use for nefarious purposes such as a ransomware attack, phishing, etc.

Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis
Walter Landesman
Mr. Satan (X)
Marwa Seleem
Maria Virgínia Barros

Alison Jenner
Alison Jenner  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 04:03
German to English
+ ...
Scam May 11, 2022

Having previously worked in-house at Lionbridge: project managers wouldn't be communicating with you via WhatsApp, Telegram or a gmail account. Nor would any other members of staff.

expressisverbis
Dan Lucas
Thomas T. Frost
Walter Landesman
Marwa Seleem
Maria Virgínia Barros
Michele Fauble

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Re: Freelancer.com May 12, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as calling Freelancer.com as a scammer city. Don't get me wrong, I despise it to the depths of my heart. It's riddled with microtransaction BS, their website is bloated, their CS are terrible, their so-called certifications are nothing more than pop quizzes, and most of its inhabitants are the very definition of bottom feeders. Yes, I used to be part of it, and all the points I mentioned above were the reasons why I left the platform not too long ago. Instead, I would grade it roughly in the same league as Upwork.

Perhaps what I find astonishing, is the amount of well-established and senior translators who still fell for such basic scamming tricks. Anyone with the smallest degree of common sense would take precautions when someone with a Gmail account claims to represent a company. What's even more disturbing is how quickly they passed their judgments and call out the agencies being piggybacked on as the perpetrators, even though these agencies themselves are also the victims in these scenarios. They are exactly in the same position as you are. Just because the scammers were taking advantage of their business reputation to gain your trust, doesn't necessarily mean these agencies were also involved in their schemes, directly or not.

I thought translators were supposed to have excellent research skills by being resourceful, attention to details, fact-checking, and all that jazz. As someone who is new to freelance translation business, I'm trying to learn from a lot of you guys. Can't say I feel anything but a little disappointed seeing this.

[Edited at 2022-05-12 16:00 GMT]

Mohammed Mahmood
Baran Keki
Walter Landesman
Brian Joyce
expressisverbis
Marwa Seleem
Barbara Carrara

Mohammed Mahmood
Mohammed Mahmood
Local time: 07:33
Urdu to English
+ ...
You are asked to bid for an amount say between $ 250-500 without knowing about the quantum of work. May 12, 2022

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as calling Freelancer.com as a scammer city. Don't get me wrong, I despise it to the depths of my heart. It's riddled with microtransaction BS, their website is bloated, their CS are terrible, their so-called certifications are nothing more than pop quizzes, and most of its inhabitants are the very definition of bottom feeders. Yes, I used to be part of it, and all the points I mentioned above were the reasons why I left the platform not too long ago. I would grade it roughly in the same league as Upwork.

Perhaps what I find astonishing, is the amount of well-established and senior translators who still fell for such basic scamming tricks. Anyone with the smallest degree of common sense would take precautions when someone with a Gmail account claims to represent a company. What's even more disturbing is how quickly they passed their judgments and call out the agencies being piggybacked on as the perpetrators, even though these agencies themselves are also the victims in these scenarios. They are exactly in the same position as you are. Just because the scammers were taking advantage of their business reputation to gain your trust, doesn't necessarily mean these agencies were also involved in their schemes, directly or not.

I thought translators were supposed to have excellent research skills by being resourceful, attention to details, fact-checking, and all that jazz. As someone who is new to freelance translation business, I'm trying to learn from a lot of you guys. Can't say I feel anything but a little disappointed seeing this.

[Edited at 2022-05-12 14:16 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)

Maria Virgínia Barros
Maria Virgínia Barros  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A known company contacted me via Telegram Mar 28, 2023

Thank you very much for your comments on this matter. Just happened to me - I was approached via Telegram by someone claiming to work at a very known LSP and wanting me to translate a huge document...I just blocked him/her. They were using the company logo, but when I asked them if they could send me an email from the official account they said they couldn't do it. Scam.

[Editada em 2023-03-28 16:54 GMT]

Walter Landesman
Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it a scam? Lionbridge project manager

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »