esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:54
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 10, 2009

This topic is further to Samuel Murray’s question here: http://www.proz.com/topic/132298.
TextAlign is a freeware utility for Windows that can align RTF or plain-text files and produce translation memories in TMX format. It is developed by Andrew Manson (together with
... See more
This topic is further to Samuel Murray’s question here: http://www.proz.com/topic/132298.
TextAlign is a freeware utility for Windows that can align RTF or plain-text files and produce translation memories in TMX format. It is developed by Andrew Manson (together with MT2007 CAT tool), the home site is http://mt2007-cat.ru/, there is a discussion forum (in Russian). I find TextAlign simple, convenient, and very intuitive, but for many users its interface in Russian is an obstacle. So, here are some explanations of the buttons and the workflow.

Buttons mean the following:
Открыть оригинал = Open source
Открыть перевод = Open translation
Анализировать = Analyze
Экспорт в TMX = Export to TMX
Открыть = Open (opens a previously saved alignment project)
Сохранить = Save (saves an alignment project)
Правила = Rules (of segmentation)

Tabs:
Стартовая страница = Start page
Тексты = Texts
Импортированные предложения = Imported segments

The workflow is as follows:
1. Click on Открыть оригинал to open the source file.
2. Click on Открыть перевод to open the translation file.
3. Click on Анализировать to segment the two texts and align segments.
4. If the result is satisfactory, click on Экспорт в TMX to produce a translation memory (see some details below).
5. If you need to split/merge/delete segments, see explanations below.
6. If you want to resume alignment later, click on Сохранить (and later on, respectively, click on Открыть).

Merging and splitting segments:
Merging segments is quite very simple: select two or several segments in a row with the mouse, right-click and choose Склеить (=Merge).

Splitting is somewhat trickier:
1. Right-click on a segment and choose Разрезать (=Split). You’ll see a dialog Разрезка предложения (=Splitting segment).
2. In the Оригинал (=Source) field, put the cursor to the position, where the segment should be split, and click on Разрезать.
3. In the two fields below, you’ll see the first and second new segments. If you’re satisfied, click on Применить (=Apply), otherwise repeat the step 2. To cancel the operation, click on Отмена (=Cancel).

To delete a segment or segments, select, right-click on it and choose Удалить (=Delete).

Instead of right-click, you can choose the respective buttons on the toolbar.

Exporting translation memory:
1. Click on Экспорт в TMX to invoke the dialog Экспорт в текстовый файл (=Export to text file).
2. Options and fields there are as follows:
2.1. Имя файла = File name (enter manually or chose with the dialog).
2.2. Версия = Version (of TMX, 1.4 or 1.1 selectable).
2.3. Кодировка = Encoding (Windows or UTF-8 are available, Windows stands for Microsoft cp-1251 actually, thus, choose UTF-8 to avoid loss of characters).
2.4. Three radio buttons:
Не экспортировать непереведённые предложения = Do not export untranslated segments
Оригиналы вместо непереведённых предложений = Source text instead of untranslated segments
Пустые строки вместо непереведённых предложений = Empty strings instead of untranslated segments.
2.5. Исходный язык = Source language.
2.6. Язык перевода = Target language.
2.7. The meaning of OK is unknown to me
3. After setting the options you need, click on Экспортировать = Export.
4. To exit the dialog, click on Выход = Exit.

Note: I’m just a user and am not related to development, thus, can’t provide information on any advanced feature of TextAlign. In particular, I don’t know how to set the segmentation rules. Please, ask in the discussion forum mentioned above.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
Russian to English
+ ...
A good choice Apr 10, 2009

I can vouch for this as a very simple and useful program. Once you get the hang of it, that is! It comes with no instructions (!), but esperantisto has supplied what is needed in that regard.

Those who don't know the Cyrillic alphabet may still be intimidated. It would be great if it could be localized to English and/or other languages.

P.S. - In esperantisto's instructions:
2.1. Имя файла = File name (enter manually or chose with the dialog)
You hav
... See more
I can vouch for this as a very simple and useful program. Once you get the hang of it, that is! It comes with no instructions (!), but esperantisto has supplied what is needed in that regard.

Those who don't know the Cyrillic alphabet may still be intimidated. It would be great if it could be localized to English and/or other languages.

P.S. - In esperantisto's instructions:
You have to give the file name the .tmx extension yourself. This is not supplied by the program. (I couldn't figure this out, but a kind friend helped me.)

P.P.S. - Some people may find it a "plus" that the program comes with a beautiful woman on the front page. But if she takes off any more clothes, some people may not find this so congenial.

[Edited at 2009-04-10 12:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-10 12:31 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:54
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I promise.... Apr 10, 2009

...I will try it as soon as it exists in English...

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks, Susan! Apr 11, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:

You have to give the file name the .tmx extension yourself. This is not supplied by the program. (I couldn't figure this out, but a kind friend helped me.)

Yes, that’s correct. Possibly, that results from the author’s past (look at the girl’s left thigh

But if she takes off any more clothes

It would be cool, if she were taking off in line with the progress of alignment. Possibly, saying: “Hey, cutie, just two more segments, and it’s off to bed” Damn, I have to think over an RFE!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Keyboard shortcuts for TextAlign Apr 11, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
I find TextAlign simple, convenient, and very intuitive, but for many users its interface in Russian is an obstacle. So, here are some explanations of the buttons and the workflow.

The lack of keyboard shortcuts is a definite turn-off. Not being able to edit that girl is also rather sad, but at least she's got a nice *linuxy* tattoo to make up for it.

Anyway, I wrote a program to add keyboard shortcuts to TextAlign. It works on my computer -- if it will work on yours, only you can tell.

http://www.leuce.com/tempfile/omtautoit/textalign_menu.zip

Alt+o = open source text
Alt+t = open target text
Alt+a = align/analyse text

Alt+c = save current project
Alt+p = open saved project
Alt+r = segmentation rules
Alt+e = export to TMX

Alt+s = split selected segment
Alt+m = merge selected segments
Alt+d = delete selected segment(s)
Alt+i = insert empty cell

Alt+ENTER = clicks OK in some dialogs
Alt+Escape = clicks Cancel in some dialogs

The shortcut Alt+s works in both Texts view and the Split dialog. Alt+i mimicks the PlusTools feature of inserting a blank cell. Send complaints directly to me.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Not linuxy actually Apr 11, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

a nice *linuxy* tattoo to make up for it.

It’s freebsdy

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
The shortcut add-on does not work Apr 13, 2009

I downloaded the textalign_menu archive and unpacked the files into /textalign_menu subdirectory of the directory where TextAlign resides. Then I launched TextAlign, and then textalignmenu.exe. I saw a little screen with a text containing shorcuts and an OK button. I clicked on OK, the dialog disappeared, and I saw an icon in the tray. But no shortcut worked. Note, when I right-click on the icon in the tray, I always see the ‘Script paused’ item ticked. When I try to untick it, the icon for ... See more
I downloaded the textalign_menu archive and unpacked the files into /textalign_menu subdirectory of the directory where TextAlign resides. Then I launched TextAlign, and then textalignmenu.exe. I saw a little screen with a text containing shorcuts and an OK button. I clicked on OK, the dialog disappeared, and I saw an icon in the tray. But no shortcut worked. Note, when I right-click on the icon in the tray, I always see the ‘Script paused’ item ticked. When I try to untick it, the icon for a short time changes to a red cross, and then nothing changes.

I use Windows XP SP2 Russian, two keyboard layouts (Russian as default and English(US)).
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers... Apr 13, 2009

esperantisto wrote:
Note, when I right-click on the icon in the tray, I always see the ‘Script paused’ item ticked. When I try to untick it, the icon for a short time changes to a red cross, and then nothing changes.

When the icon has a red cross, it is paused. When it doesn't have a red cross, it is not paused. It is confusing, I know, but I did not design that icon.

Some questions:

* Does your TextAlign window's title bar begin with the letters "TextAlign - "?
* Please forgive me for asking a stupid question but I have to ask it: how do you press Alt+s? Do you press Alt and then let go and then press s? Or do you press Alt and hold it in, and then press s, and then let go of the Alt key again?
* Have you tried both left and right Alt keys?
* Have you tried with and without Caps Lock?

[Edited at 2009-04-13 17:56 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Works for me (almost) Apr 14, 2009

It works great, thank you Samuel!
Except for:
Alt+c - instead of saving current project, it gave me the segmentation rules dialog.
(I've forgotten what Alt+r did--maybe nothing.)

It's possible it would work if I scrapped everything and started again, as you mention under "Issues" in the readme file. I'll try it again tomorrow, out of time now.

Susan
Win XP Virtual Box inside Linux Debian Lenny

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Answers to answers :) Apr 14, 2009

* Does your TextAlign window's title bar begin with the letters "TextAlign - "?

Yes, it is:

Code:
TextAlign - сопоставление предложений оригинальных текстов и переводов by Andrew Manson

Or do you press Alt and hold it in, and then press s, and then let go of the Alt key again?

I do it this way.

* Have you tried both left and right Alt keys?

Yes, and neither works.

* Have you tried with and without Caps Lock?

Yes, again no effect.

P.S. Just mentioned in you readme:

Thanks to esperantisto on the ProZ.com forums for the translations. I include his/her post here

No big trouble, but my nick clearly indicates my sex: I’m man, not woman A woman would be esperantistino.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Virtual machines Apr 14, 2009

Susan Welsh wrote:
Alt+c - instead of saving current project, it gave me the segmentation rules dialog.

Weird. I just tested it on my own machine again and Alt+c definitely tries to save the current project. Alt+r is for the rules. The fact that your other shortcuts work is even more baffling if this one shortcut does not work. If split, merge, delete and insert works, then I'm happy, because those are the ones you'll be using most.

Win XP Virtual Box inside Linux Debian Lenny.

I'm not sure what effect a virtual machine (VM) would have. It may be that if you're running a VM, you can safely move the VM window around without having to restart the script. The script knows where to click based on the initial position of TextAlign on your screen.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TextAlign, freeware alignment program

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »