Personal Glossary and Terminology Management
Thread poster: ClayWWatson
ClayWWatson
ClayWWatson
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 28, 2007

Though I use TRADOS occasionally, I'm looking for a way to build my own glossary of terminology, i.e., individual words and phrases, that would be easily accessible and not overly cumbersome while translating. Am I missing something obvious? How does everyone keep track of his/her own personal glossary for purposes of terminology management?

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:28
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Personal glossaries in Cafetran Dec 28, 2007

You can easily access or/and build your own glossaries in Cafetran. Check Glossaries and Dictionaries section in the Help menu of the program. Their integration in the workflow can be set according to your own preferences and they can be synchronized (joint), which means you can access a few of them at the same time.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
MultiTerm Dec 28, 2007

If you use Trados, you presumably have MultiTerm. Any reason for not using that? I use MT to build my own glossary of terminology.

Admittedly MT is not the most user-friendly program ever devised, and RTFM is required (Read the Manual) but once you have cracked it, it works well.

The simplest procedure is to prepare an Excel spreadsheet with 2 columns of source and target terminology (words and phrases), then use MT Convert.

Eugene Gulak
Eugene Gulak  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:28
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
Try Anylexic Dec 28, 2007

http://www.anylexic.com/

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Go MultiTerm Dec 28, 2007

If you work in Trados (or intend to) you should use MT. The reasons are multifold.
1. It is a system used not only in Trados and Trados TagEditor but also in SDLX.
2. Your MT glossaries when you make them active by selecting one or more (I have used 2) termbases in Trados (Menu/Options/Term Recognition) from the list allows you not only to see suggestions for any of the term in the current segment in a separate window but also to easily insert them into the translation by using a com
... See more
If you work in Trados (or intend to) you should use MT. The reasons are multifold.
1. It is a system used not only in Trados and Trados TagEditor but also in SDLX.
2. Your MT glossaries when you make them active by selecting one or more (I have used 2) termbases in Trados (Menu/Options/Term Recognition) from the list allows you not only to see suggestions for any of the term in the current segment in a separate window but also to easily insert them into the translation by using a combination of hot keys.
3. You can easily add terms and their translation on the fly during the process of translation by selecting and copying the translation of a term into the memory and then selecting the target term and clicking on the quick entry form button. After this the quick entry form opens and you paste the translation from the memory into the target row.
4. You can convert any bilingual list of terms into a MT termbase using MT Convert (part of the MT package) converting either from an xls file (one of the standard converted from formats), or in case of a Word file converting it first into a Word table, then into an xls file, and finally into MT.
Enough?
I could name a couple more.
Collapse

vahur
vahur
English
Public termbases Jan 5, 2008

If you are looking for a software to manage your termbase, glossary or dictionary and maybe publicise your work, then i suggest you Online terminology management software www.termbases.eu

Sebastian Abbo
Sebastian Abbo
Local time: 22:28
French to English
You could try Lingo 4.0 for glossary management Jan 23, 2008

Hi,

You could try Lingo 4.0 which my company recently released. It is inexpensive and maybe what you are looking for.

Lingo 4.0 is a standalone easy to use terminology management system,
allowing the creation and management of multilingual dictionaries in any
language combinations. Unlike a spreadsheet application or Word, it can
easily handle very large amounts of data. It is Unicode compatible and can
import and export XML (TMX) and text files,
... See more
Hi,

You could try Lingo 4.0 which my company recently released. It is inexpensive and maybe what you are looking for.

Lingo 4.0 is a standalone easy to use terminology management system,
allowing the creation and management of multilingual dictionaries in any
language combinations. Unlike a spreadsheet application or Word, it can
easily handle very large amounts of data. It is Unicode compatible and can
import and export XML (TMX) and text files, making it compatible with most
CAT tools.

A 30 day evaluation version of Lingo 4.0 is available at:

http://www.lexicool.com/soft_lingo2.asp

Regards,

Sebastian Abbo
Oxyka SARL - lexicool.com
France
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Personal Glossary and Terminology Management

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »