Transcription, Translation, Subtitling, Formatting, Pricing
Thread poster: aver...
aver...
aver...
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 14, 2023

A client asked me to make a transcript of a video, put timestamps after each sentence, and make a translation of this same video. We agreed on a rate per audio minute.

After handing in the two files (transcript in original language and translation, both with requested timestamps), the client asked me to format the files into SRV and put timestamps every 6-9 words, maximum, for subtitling purposes. When I took the assignment, I didn´t know that the text was to be used for subtitle
... See more
A client asked me to make a transcript of a video, put timestamps after each sentence, and make a translation of this same video. We agreed on a rate per audio minute.

After handing in the two files (transcript in original language and translation, both with requested timestamps), the client asked me to format the files into SRV and put timestamps every 6-9 words, maximum, for subtitling purposes. When I took the assignment, I didn´t know that the text was to be used for subtitles. The client agreed to pay me an hourly rate for the reformatting and timestamps.

What I didn´t know was how long this second process was going to take me. It was my first time doing this kind of formatting and timestamps. I can´t imagine that the client will want to pay me for all of the hours it took me to complete this project. Any advice?
Collapse

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
Local time: 23:55
English to Danish
+ ...
Learn from the experience Jan 15, 2023

...And next time you get a similar job, make sure you know exactly what the job entails before you accept it and agree on a fee.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:55
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Agreed is agreed Jan 15, 2023

Your client has agreed to pay an hourly rate for the second stage of the project. Just send him/her proof of hour many hours you needed along with your invoice. If s/he doesn't pay you accordingly then this is a breach of contract.

Did you inform your client about the lengthy process as soon as you found out? The client should always be informed asap when you encounter a problem and'/or a delay is expected.

Btw. transcription of a video file with time coding is always e
... See more
Your client has agreed to pay an hourly rate for the second stage of the project. Just send him/her proof of hour many hours you needed along with your invoice. If s/he doesn't pay you accordingly then this is a breach of contract.

Did you inform your client about the lengthy process as soon as you found out? The client should always be informed asap when you encounter a problem and'/or a delay is expected.

Btw. transcription of a video file with time coding is always either for subtitling or dubbing of said video.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription, Translation, Subtitling, Formatting, Pricing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »